Mike Woodson to return as coach next season

10 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I dont think a portion of the fan base wanting to replace him meant people expected it.

I don't remember anybody saying they thought he was gone. If so, it was a very very small percentage.

While I'm not talking about this site in particular, there was a sizable contingent in social media that started the BS about Cuban being in town, back room deals, and clandestine meetings that would result in Mike Woodson's termination or "retirement." 

Sorry you missed it...it was quite funny in retrospect...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

Woody is lucky that he is coaching in the day and age of NIL and portaling.  Also that he has a ton of high level donor support. If last year happened under Archie or another former coach they wouldn’t have a job. You play the way we did last year combine with losing your only damn recruit there would have been no coming back from that….no big $$ donors to buy your players for you…they would just bought you out instead. Imo what has happened this offseason is simply the result of IU being IU…and little about who is the coach. I think there are 100 other coaches that could be running this program and have similar results with the $$ that has been thrown at this program.  I had little faith that Woody would be fired but I still see little to give me faith that he is the right guy to be running the program.

And I expect this to be the popular take if we do well this year... nothing to do with coaching...we just "bought" ourselves success...

🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

Woody is lucky that he is coaching in the day and age of NIL and portaling.  Also that he has a ton of high level donor support. If last year happened under Archie or another former coach they wouldn’t have a job. You play the way we did last year combine with losing your only damn recruit there would have been no coming back from that….no big $$ donors to buy your players for you…they would just bought you out instead. Imo what has happened this offseason is simply the result of IU being IU…and little about who is the coach. I think there are 100 other coaches that could be running this program and have similar results with the $$ that has been thrown at this program.  I had little faith that Woody would be fired but I still see little to give me faith that he is the right guy to be running the program.

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 4:43 PM, Maedhros said:

The "true fans" comment was about an as if-the-shoe-fits moment as I can remember. By and large, the people I saw take exception were those already quite vocal that they were out on Woodson. Including a certain host of a postgame podcast.

I'll agree the comment didn't need to be said, at least not by the head coach, who needs to be above that level of discourse. But I also know we had fans literally creating petitions on change.org and emailing the BOT to call for Woodson's job. Pitchforks and torches were out for program legend Quinn Buckner, and even Armond Hill was catching strays just for being caught on camera next to Woodson during games. Wild stuff, and deserving of being called out, if not by that person in that moment. If anyone feels targeted by Woodson's "true fans" comments, it might be worth taking a moment of introspection and asking yourself why.

I have no problem at all with Galloway and Leal responding the way they did, in that moment with the biggest platform they'll have. 

The program is a little bigger than all those people you mentioned.  Anytime someone rolls out a "true fan" argument I just believe that they've run out of support for their position and have instead brought out a sledgehammer to silence critics.

Woodson deserved most of the criticism he got last year.  He has gone out and built a team that he was supposedly not able to build for the past 3 years because of reasons.  There are indicators there that we are currently sitting on a Top 10 to 15 team on paper right now.  So Woodson has a grand opportunity to shut people up with his coaching prowess next year.  Anything less than 23 win is an abject failure with this roster and even 23 should be a "meh" enough result to really question if you want to extend a 67 year old coach (which you almost have to do after this year if you plan to keep him around).

Put up or shut up time for these guys.  They've been running their mouths since the end of the year either in public or behind burner accounts on social media.  After all that talk they better have results.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

And I expect this to be the popular take if we do well this year... nothing to do with coaching...we just "bought" ourselves success...

🙄

Draw your line in the sand.  How many wins is success?  We know the majority of the schedule right now.

24 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Draw your line in the sand.  How many wins is success?  We know the majority of the schedule right now.

Neither the roster nor the non conference schedule are fully set yet...

• Haha 1

I will say that we bought our team and there's nothing wrong with it. I will also say that Woody deserved much of the the criticism for the play on the court and bad roster construction last season. I will also say that the false rumors flying around and leaks were straight up trash and an unnecessary low blow. 

So, it's time to put up or shut up for the coaching staff. Somebody put up a graph in another thread that said: as our roster stands right now, we have more returning power 6 production than ANY other team in the country. If Hurley had this roster I think many would be projecting us to be National Championship contenders.

But here we are. Many are debating whether we have enough to make the 2nd weekend. I think that says a lot about how much faith fans and CBB analyst's have in Woody's ability to coach at a high level. 

I will be rooting for Woody to prove all the naysayers wrong, but he's going to need to accomplish a lot next year to silence all the noise. I don't want to hear any excuses about talent, depth, experience, lack of fundamentals, etc if we underperform, because at that point, the answer should be pretty clear. 

We have the pieces. Now we need results. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I will say that we bought our team and there's nothing wrong with it. I will also say that Woody deserved much of the the criticism for the play on the court and bad roster construction last season. I will also say that the false rumors flying around and leaks were straight up trash and an unnecessary low blow. 

So, it's time to put up or shut up for the coaching staff. Somebody put up a graph in another thread that said: as our roster stands right now, we have more returning power 6 production than ANY other team in the country. If Hurley had this roster I think many would be projecting us to be National Championship contenders.

But here we are. Many are debating whether we have enough to make the 2nd weekend. I think that says a lot about how much faith fans and CBB analyst's have in Woody's ability to coach at a high level. 

I will be rooting for Woody to prove all the naysayers wrong, but he's going to need to accomplish a lot next year to silence all the noise. I don't want to hear any excuses about talent, depth, experience, lack of fundamentals, etc if we underperform, because at that point, the answer should be pretty clear. 

I’ve been a coach Woodson supporter and believed he deserved a fourth year, but I agree results matter. IMO with next year’s roster we should be a top 10 team and a legit national title contender…so let’s see what happens. Hopefully, it will be a season to remember for all the right reasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

And I'm fine with that...the expectations are high and they should be...

But I also don't want to hear the "we bought a team" BS if we are successful...that's the rules of the game right now...

Deal?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

🙄

Do you think Woodson deserves all the credit for these transfers when he isn't the one bankrolling them?  Big donors wanted to keep Woodson and they have bought him a team to try to make it work.

Whether Woodson gets praise or criticism this coming season will depend on how well he does with this roster compared to expectations.  The bar is most certainly raised on what constitutes acceptable results when we have amassed a good amount of talent. 

So far Woodson has underachieved compared to the talent on his rosters.    I wonder how many 5 star level players we would need for Woodson to actually make a run in the tourney.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Do you think Woodson deserves all the credit for these transfers when he isn't the one bankrolling them?  Big donors wanted to keep Woodson and they have bought him a team to try to make it work.

Whether Woodson gets praise or criticism this coming season will depend on how well he does with this roster compared to expectations.  The bar is most certainly raised on what constitutes acceptable results when we have amassed a good amount of talent. 

So far Woodson has underachieved compared to the talent on his rosters.    I wonder how many 5 star level players we would need for Woodson to actually make a run in the tourney.

Not picking sides in the ridiculously worn out debate, but we were not that talented last year.

Counting "stars" doesn't tell the story. Mac was not ready for this level, he improved as the year went on and should be strong as a sophomore. 

But we had nothing in terms of guards or shooting.

I blame him for poor roster management way more than judging his ability to coach. So yes, this year will be telling.

Anybody else tired of people continuing this back and forth tho? I think we all know where everybody stands on Mike Woodson at this point.   😂

I firmly beleive people overstate how talented we were last year as a whole unit. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Not picking sides in the ridiculously worn out debate, but we were not that talented last year.

Counting "stars" doesn't tell the story. Mac was not ready for this level, he improved as the year went on and should be strong as a sophomore. 

But we had nothing in terms of guards or shooting.

I blame him for poor roster management way more than judging his ability to coach. So yes, this year will be telling.

Anybody else tired of people continuing this back and forth tho? I think we all know where everybody stands on Mike Woodson at this point.   😂

I firmly beleive people overstate how talented we were last year as a whole unit. 

Poor roster management is part of coaching.  

Even with poor roster management, he still underachieved and was for some reason attached to buddy ball in the post.  He even pretended like it was working well and just needed to better execute or something to that effect.  Completely delusional.

For the guy that promised 4 out, 1 in and fixing our shooting woes when he arrived 3 years ago, he has done nothing of the sort.  Over promised, under delivered and if it wasn't for TJD, we would have even more people calling for a change of coaches.

So we are left hoping talent can overcome crappy coaching.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Poor roster management is part of coaching.  

Even with poor roster management, he still underachieved and was for some reason attached to buddy ball in the post.  He even pretended like it was working well and just needed to better execute or something to that effect.  Completely delusional.

For the guy that promised 4 out, 1 in and fixing our shooting woes when he arrived 3 years ago, he has done nothing of the sort.  Over promised, under delivered and if it wasn't for TJD, we would have even more people calling for a change of coaches.

underachieved? I don't agree. Going 19-14 with that group was about all the juice we were getting out of them. Once XJ was hurt, ineffective, and selfish.... we were doomed. (a fair amount of that Woodson is to blame)... but I 100% think 19 wins was about that group's ceiling. 

the "buddy ball" talk is wild... Malik and Ware had to play and had to play together. They were our best two players. 

We did need better execution, he was right. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

underachieved? I don't agree. Going 19-14 with that group was about all the juice we were getting out of them. Once XJ was hurt, ineffective, and selfish.... we were doomed. (a fair amount of that Woodson is to blame)... but I 100% think 19 wins was about that group's ceiling. 

the "buddy ball" talk is wild... Malik and Ware had to play and had to play together. They were our best two players. 

We did need better execution, he was right. 

And who constructed that roster and thought XJ and Galloway were enough at the guard spot?

Oh yea, Woodson.

Malik and Ware were our best players but they could have staggered the minutes as much as possible.

Pretending it is all just execution is nothing more than passing the buck.  He put the system in place, he put the players in place and he has stunk it up... just like he stunk it up in the NBA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

And who constructed that roster and thought XJ and Galloway were enough at the guard spot?

Oh yea, Woodson.

Malik and Ware were our best players but they could have staggered the minutes as much as possible.

Pretending it is all just execution is nothing more than passing the buck.  He put the system in place, he put the players in place and he has stunk it up... just like he stunk it up in the NBA.

Jesus christ lol... I said "Woodson is a fair amount to blame for that"--- verbatim said that. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Jesus christ lol... I said "Woodson is a fair amount to blame for that"--- verbatim said that. 

Jesus Christ you still thought pretending the roster's limitations was a defense that deflected the point that Woodson is a shit coach.

He still vastly underachieved with his poorly constructed roster.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

"pretending it is all just execution is nothing more than passing the buck" 

But yet--- it's some MASSIVE issue when he calls out players after a game? Crazy. 

those 2 things aren't contradicting each other so not sure what point you think you're making.

6 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Jesus Christ you still thought pretending the roster's limitations was a defense that deflected the point that Woodson is a shit coach.

19-14 was last season's ceiling. The fact that is where the ceiling was is the issue. 

"pretending roster limitations was a defense"--- no, It's just stupid to make yourself have to play CJ Gunn, Sparks, Banks, Cupps, and Walker 900+ mins in conference play. No coach comes out of that successful. 

Edited by btownqb

10 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

He still vastly underachieved with his poorly constructed roster.

No, no he didn't.  We were absolutely GOD awful with Haircut Gunn and Gabe Cupps playing 600+ mins at guard lol... still won 19 games. 

It's gross that was our ceiling, but lord have some ability to see things objectively. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Give the credit to the Donors. They are bankrolling the team. I guess we should just sit on the sideline and wave a sign that says come play at IU for free. We have the money, but we aren't going to do the same thing EVER OTHER F-IN TEAM is doing and use it.

🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, iuswingman said:

yes, yes he did

If you can't see things objectively, I can understand that. 

Playing CJ Gunn and Cupps 600+ mins IN CONFERENCE play... and ending up 10-10 in those games and 19-14 overall... is about the tops of where that grouping of players could be. 

• Haha 1