Mike Woodson to return as coach next season

On 4/20/2024 at 9:18 PM, Zlinedavid said:

Woodson could win #6 and people would complain that we weren’t undefeated. 

We could go undefeated and people would complain that we got lucky too many times. The wins weren’t convincing enough. 

We could go undefeated and win every game by 30 and the same people would complain that it wasn’t the “old B10 home and home schedule” so it doesn’t count as much. And we had more than 2 players that weren’t from Indiana. 🙄

Translation: some people aren’t happy unless they’re complaining, and some people will never be totally happy with IU basketball until the remains of RMK are reanimated and the calendar says 1978 again. 

Thats true for sure, we could also lose every game and people would still be singing sunshine and petting puppies lol

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 10:18 PM, Zlinedavid said:

We could go undefeated and people would complain that we got lucky too many times. The wins weren’t convincing enough. 

We could go undefeated and win every game by 30 and the same people would complain that it wasn’t the “old B10 home and home schedule” so it doesn’t count as much. And we had more than 2 players that weren’t from Indiana. 🙄

Translation: some people aren’t happy unless they’re complaining, and some people will never be totally happy with IU basketball until the remains of RMK are reanimated and the calendar says 1978 again. 

And some people struggle to see a different view and respectfully discuss topics sometimes, right?  

I doubt any of your over exaggerations are accurate, but carry on.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 10:18 PM, Zlinedavid said:

That's about as over the top as saying we could lose every game and people would still be on here saying how awesome Woodson is and he just needs more time.

35 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

And some people struggle to see a different view and respectfully discuss topics sometimes, right?  

A lot of people just don't think people with different opinions should be able to voice said opinion.

I'm in a facebook group for IU fans and not sure how many times you get the "you're not a coach"  hogwash response.  Apparently having experience as a coach is required in order to post...well only if you're critical.  If you like Woodson then no coaching experience necessary.   Guess we can thank Leal for leading that charge.  Of course, that's mixed in with the "you're not a true fan" commentary.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

A lot of people just don't think people with different opinions should be able to voice said opinion.

I'm in a facebook group for IU fans and not sure how many times you get the "you're not a coach"  hogwash response.  Apparently having experience as a coach is required in order to post...well only if you're critical.  If you like Woodson then no coaching experience necessary.   Guess we can thank Leal for leading that charge.  Of course, that's mixed in with the "you're not a true fan" commentary.  

It's funny how everybody is a victim. Nobody is saying you are not allowed to have an opinion. But if you post that opinion publicly, people are going to respond. That's just the way it is.

The problem comes when people care more about their opinion, and being "right" than they actually care about the program itself. It gets nonsensical.

And to be clear, I am not referring to you with that part, just a jumping off point for my opinion.

On another note, my opinion of Leal and coach's comment about certain fans is blown out of proportion.

Everybody is assuming they were referring to all fans that voice frustration or dusagreent.

My belief is it was geared more towards the lunatic vocal fringe that attacks players, makes it deeply personal. That's my opinion.

I do agree it was better off not being said at all, no argument there. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

It's funny how everybody is a victim. Nobody is saying you are not allowed to have an opinion. But if you post that opinion publicly, people are going to respond. That's just the way it is.

I wouldn't say nobody, especially my examples from the facebook group (although think the "true fan" attack gets thrown around at some point or another on every board/group/forum).    I think exaggerating the other side's opinion to make it appear unreasonable is arguably trying to squash an opinion.

14 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

The problem comes when people care more about their opinion, and being "right" than they actually care about the program itself. It gets nonsensical.

And to be clear, I am not referring to you with that part, just a jumping off point for my opinion.

On another note, my opinion of Leal and coach's comment about certain fans is blown out of proportion.

Everybody is assuming they were referring to all fans that voice frustration or dusagreent.

My belief is it was geared more towards the lunatic vocal fringe that attacks players, makes it deeply personal. That's my opinion.

True, Leal could have been focused on just the crazier of the fans that cross the line.  

I think another possibility is Woodson's inability to take any criticism without lashing back may be rubbing off on his players.  He could be stirring the pot. 

1 minute ago, iuswingman said:

I think another possibility is Woodson's inability to take any criticism without lashing back may be rubbing off on his players.  He could be stirring the pot. 

lol. I think it far likelier the players are just tired of hearing too.

Speak what you want as a fan, that's your right. But Leal and Galloway responding they way they did is the most natural response in the world, no pot stirring by Woodson or inability to take criticism needed.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

The "true fans" comment was about an as if-the-shoe-fits moment as I can remember. By and large, the people I saw take exception were those already quite vocal that they were out on Woodson. Including a certain host of a postgame podcast.

I'll agree the comment didn't need to be said, at least not by the head coach, who needs to be above that level of discourse. But I also know we had fans literally creating petitions on change.org and emailing the BOT to call for Woodson's job. Pitchforks and torches were out for program legend Quinn Buckner, and even Armond Hill was catching strays just for being caught on camera next to Woodson during games. Wild stuff, and deserving of being called out, if not by that person in that moment. If anyone feels targeted by Woodson's "true fans" comments, it might be worth taking a moment of introspection and asking yourself why.

I have no problem at all with Galloway and Leal responding the way they did, in that moment with the biggest platform they'll have. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

The "true fans" comment was about an as if-the-shoe-fits moment as I can remember. By and large, the people I saw take exception were those already quite vocal that they were out on Woodson. Including a certain host of a postgame podcast.

I'll agree the comment didn't need to be said, at least not by the head coach, who needs to be above that level of discourse. But I also know we had fans literally creating petitions on change.org and emailing the BOT to call for Woodson's job. Pitchforks and torches were out for program legend Quinn Buckner, and even Armond Hill was catching strays just for being caught on camera next to Woodson during games. Wild stuff, and deserving of being called out, if not by that person in that moment. If anyone feels targeted by Woodson's "true fans" comments, it might be worth taking a moment of introspection and asking yourself why.

I have no problem at all with Galloway and Leal responding the way they did, in that moment with the biggest platform they'll have. 

So what that people were signing a petition and done with Woodson?   Supporting or not supporting woodson as coach has no bearing on whether you're a true IU basketball fan.  Both sides want what they think is best for the program.

So yes, it's a load of crap to pull out the "true fan" card.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

You merged the Fire Woodson thread but not this one.Why? Just asking for a friend.

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

So what that people were signing a petition and done with Woodson?   Supporting or not supporting woodson as coach has no bearing on whether you're a true IU basketball fan.  Both sides want what they think is best for the program.

So yes, it's a load of crap to pull out the "true fan" card.

Because if launching a petition is your honest reaction to something as trivial as a basketball season, then in the immortal words of Anthony Leal, you guys gotta chill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Because if launching a petition is your honest reaction to something as trivial as a basketball season, then in the immortal words of Anthony Leal, you guys gotta chill.

A petition is nothing more than a count of people that share an opinion in hopes that it will help them be heard.  As soon as the mega donors backed Woodson, the decision was made.

People who think they can silence opposing opinion should chill.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

I was one of those people sending emails and I took no offense to being called out. We deserved to be called out

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

The tone of my post was intended to be hyperbolic. As in, not to be taken literally, but translated as “Some IU fans never seem to be happy with anything”. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, iuswingman said:

That's about as over the top as saying we could lose every game and people would still be on here saying how awesome Woodson is and he just needs more time.

Valid. There’s always going to be extremes in both directions. 

Although there would be absolutely no defense if we lost every game. Unless they changed the location of every fire alarm in every building we were in. :coffee: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Valid. There’s always going to be extremes in both directions. 

Although there would be absolutely no defense if we lost every game. Unless they changed the location of every fire alarm in every building we were in. :coffee: 

And the #13 scholly for 23'-24' goes tooooooo   #6 recruit "Fire Alarm".

and the crowd walks out !!! for a minute. :)

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Dolson said. "And at the end of the year last year, there was never a statement that was put out. Woody was never not coming back."

You can listen to the Hoosier Hysterics podcast and hear the full interview, but, contrary to popular belief, Mike Woodson's job was never in danger...

I never believed his job was in danger. They were never going to make a change last year regardless of the results 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Dolson said. "And at the end of the year last year, there was never a statement that was put out. Woody was never not coming back."

You can listen to the Hoosier Hysterics podcast and hear the full interview, but, contrary to popular belief, Mike Woodson's job was never in danger...

I dont think a portion of the fan base wanting to replace him meant people expected it.

I don't remember anybody saying they thought he was gone. If so, it was a very very small percentage.

• Like 1

Woody is lucky that he is coaching in the day and age of NIL and portaling.  Also that he has a ton of high level donor support. If last year happened under Archie or another former coach they wouldn’t have a job. You play the way we did last year combine with losing your only damn recruit there would have been no coming back from that….no big $$ donors to buy your players for you…they would just bought you out instead. Imo what has happened this offseason is simply the result of IU being IU…and little about who is the coach. I think there are 100 other coaches that could be running this program and have similar results with the $$ that has been thrown at this program.  I had little faith that Woody would be fired but I still see little to give me faith that he is the right guy to be running the program.

• Like 5