Mike Woodson to return as coach next season

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

If May does go to OSU that buyout will be like 25-30.  

Pearl would crush it at Louisville.  Id choose him over Mack.  Another monster buyout.  

Going to UL from Auburn? Meh. 

I don't think May will be at OSU. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

If May does go to OSU that buyout will be like 25-30.  

Pearl would crush it at Louisville.  Id choose him over Mack.  Another monster buyout.  

Chris Mack? You don’t want him. Product of the Xavier system.

Plus he cheated his ass off, and once NIL came around his “competitive advantage” went bye bye… 

He will have his work cut out for him. He better round up some better advisors.

Roster rebuild through portal and he hasn't yet shown ability to properly construct a roster. His best team was constructed by Archie Miller and Kenya Hunter (also Archies recruiter) recruits JHS & Malik.

4 new teams will shake things up. USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon. IU better get it figured out quickly or it will be buried even deeper into the bottom of the league.

It takes an entire season for his players to "just now starting to come together" - Kel'el Ware.

Without Ware this season is pretty much winless but he dreams of X. Great games by X have been an anomaly and a great coach should know that. 

Woodson does not have another 1st round draft pick lined up to win games next season. I predict another train wreck season.

2026 looks to be a staff/roster rebuild so knowing that trajectory, why wait? Instead, gather some momentum by restarting now.

If May goes to Ohio State, they will lock him down. Only way he makes the move to IU is for failing and at that point IU doesn't want him. Then again...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Boiler Sam said:

Chris Mack? You don’t want him. Product of the Xavier system.

Plus he cheated his ass off, and once NIL came around his “competitive advantage” went bye bye… 

Meant Mick Cronin.  Heard that's their #1.   They want Mack back?

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Meant Mick Cronin.  Heard that's their #1.   They want Mack back?

Oh … Mick. Yeah he’s a great coach. From the Midwest, has recruited the area… Still young enough to stay while…

Only problem I could see is now that UCLA is in the B1G, they SHOULD be able to match any offer from another school. But who knows if they’ll want to. They’re arrogant enough to think that coaches should want to take a pay cut to come there. 

We beat an average team in Wisconsin at home when they been on a nosedive the entire month of Feb, beat a bad team in Maryland, and beat an average at best team in Minnesota…tell me again what are we celebrating?? It changes absolutely nothing. It’s not like we are all of a sudden beating top 25 teams.

In fact that’s the reason I’m over Woodson I see no way his style and system of pounding it inside why everyone watches, shooting long 2’s, averaging a horrid 5 three pointers a game, terrible mass subbing we’ve had to deal with basically all year, auto benching players with 2 fouls, playing way to big and guys out of position,  and an awful over helping defensive scheme that gets us lit up with 3’s.

He might have a few decent teams but I see absolutely no way we can compete on a national stage with this. The goal is to get IU back right? No chance we ever see a final four playing like this so why go another year? Just puts us behind one more year.

• Like 6

I was going to sit down and type out my best defense as to why we should keep Woodson, mostly to see if I can convince myself, but before I do, why are we so convinced this means anything? If Woodson was going to step down gracefully (mostly because he was told to leave) wouldn't this be the perfect precursor to that?

12 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

What will be said to the class of 2025 in Indiana? Will Woody be here when they are freshmen? 

Knowing that he is not the long-term solution, over the last month Dolson and Woodson came to an agreement that Woodson would, after this season announce he'll be retiring after next season.  As part of this, Dolson has agreement from some coach (for the sake of argument only - let's say May) to come in next year as a "chief of staff" (or some super assistant role) with the understanding that he takes over after next season (similar to the Duke, UNC transitions).

What are the chances it plays out like this? Slim I'm sure.

This is the only way I can see the program not digging itself deeper into a hole by keeping him for next year.

I'm sure that I (like many others) just don't want to have to wait for 2026 or 2027 to start seeing (or even have hope that we'll start seeing) the program going in the right direction. 

The reality is probably more like... The administration seeing that his buyout is way more reasonable/acceptable after next year decided we'll make a change then and just pick up wherever things land after that (reset to Crean year 2 or 3 level)

• Like 1

I think 99% of us can agree that we will support the team and hope for the best despite any reservations about decision making.  Let’s hope for the best because the program is not about one or two individuals.  If things go off the rails, there will be a time to come to terms with that but in the meantime it is very doable to correct things if the right thought process is used.   

I posted maybe two months ago a plan to get us on track where we set up a player personnel department, maybe an analytics head etc.  You’d have 1-2 new assistants.   You’d take a look at the 33 guys in suits hovering around the bench and figure out who is competent.  

We know what Woody is as a coach as we’ve seen it last off season and then how the season unraveled.  But as others have said, the program can overcome that if we institute some changes and micromanage him to save him from himself, inject some energy and work ethic etc.  There’s no reason why you can’t win more despite Woody.   Woody has a boss and he needs to be taken out of his comfort level and needs severe micromanagement.  You can see what happened when he unshackled himself from the safeguards Dolson tried to put on.  That isn’t going to cut it.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

Can you imagine a front court of Reneau, Mbako and McNeely, with Sparks off the bench with this coaching staff?  They’d give up 85 a night with a ton of foul trouble to boot.   The guards will be better but you would need a new assistant to develop them.  You’d also need both offensive and defensive coordinator types to help fix the schematic problems at both ends.

You also need a director of analytics….badly.   Deal with efficiency on both ends, get rid of long twos, gear toward NET, figure out metrics on where players succeed or need to improve, combinations that work and don't.   The AD can lead on this when coach, BOT and boosters are lost.  When the coach is openly pointing to wins and losses and is befuddled by the way metrics impact the college game, you have to micromanage him.   The horrendous analytics early in the year tended to be money in predicting the problems the team ended up having.  There are some real lessons on getting in front of analytics.  

We need some real vision and energy injected into the program.  Only Dolson can do it.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Can you imagine a front court of Reneau, Mbako and McNeely, with Sparks off the bench with this coaching staff?  They’d give up 85 a night with a ton of foul trouble to boot.   The guards will be better but you would need a new assistant to develop them.  You’d also need both offensive and defensive coordinator types to help fix the schematic problems at both ends.

You also need a director of analytics….badly.   Deal with efficiency on both ends, get rid of long twos, gear toward NET, figure out metrics on where players succeed or need to improve, combinations that work and don't.   The AD can lead on this when coach, BOT and boosters are lost.  When the coach is openly pointing to wins and losses and is befuddled by the way metrics impact the college game, you have to micromanage him.   The horrendous analytics early in the year tended to be money in predicting the problems the team ended up having.  There are some real lessons on getting in front of analytics.  

We need some real vision and energy injected into the program.  Only Dolson can do it.  

Thankfully I recognize your name, because it throws me when people switch their avatars. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good news is we don't have to worry about that front court giving up points. 

• Sad 4