Mike Woodson to return as coach next season

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

As a player Woodson is definitely an IU legend. Did you actually see him play

i always hesitate to engage you, but wasn't he a great scorer on bad teams?  i don't feel like looking it up.  he was about 4 years before my time.  

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

i always hesitate to engage you, but wasn't he a great scorer on bad teams?  i don't feel like looking it up.  he was about 4 years before my time.  

Well they were definitely a lot better the year before he got to IU and a lot better the year after he left.

• Thanks 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

So if we won the 6th banner would you still be upset about that. I don't understand that thinking because a lot of good programs haven't won 1 championship let along 5

What are you talking about? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

We won the big ten in 80 and he was the MVP in the big ten. We won the NIT in 79 when that still meant something.

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

What are you talking about? 

You asked about the following 20 years. I was asking would you still been unhappy with keeping Davis if we won the championship that year. We had the lead with 10 minutes to go so we were close to winning it.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You asked about the following 20 years. I was asking would you still been unhappy with keeping Davis if we won the championship that year. We had the lead with 10 minutes to go so we were close to winning it.

We didn't win it. What are you talking about?

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Walk me through that chance, because I don't really see that in the cards. What are you seeing as a reasonable progression that would be the arrow firmly pointing up?

Ware's going pro, but retain Malik, Mgbako and Galloway. Recruit the portal to fill around them, and McNeeley, with skills that balance the roster. Go all in on the '25 class over the summer and give us some promise for the future. Realize after a rough season that your coaching will need to adapt to play a winning style of basketball.

There's a path there. I make no assurances it will happen, or even that it's likely, but this what I hope to see. A year from now we'll have our answer, one way or another. I don't see the worth in getting upset about bad things that haven't happened yet. I love Indiana Basketball, but it's just a game. When my team loses it just means I didn't get to enjoy a win, doesn't affect my life any more than that. So I'm going to hope Woodson makes the most of this opportunity right up until I'm proven wrong. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Ware's going pro, but retain Malik, Mgbako and Galloway. Recruit the portal to fill around them, and McNeeley, with skills that balance the roster. Go all in on the '25 class over the summer and give us some promise for the future. Realize after a rough season that your coaching will need to adapt to play a winning style of basketball.

There's a path there. I make no assurances it will happen, or even that it's likely, but this what I hope to see. A year from now we'll have our answer, one way or another. I don't see the worth in getting upset about bad things that haven't happened yet. I love Indiana Basketball, but it's just a game. When my team loses it just means I didn't get to enjoy a win, doesn't affect my life any more than that. So I'm going to hope Woodson makes the most of this opportunity right up until I'm proven wrong. 

i mean this is a classic case of me hoping i'm wrong for being pessimistic.  would be so glad to be wrong about Woodson and he leads us to a National Championship.  i just don't believe in dragons or unicorns.  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I hear you, but they could have all been told that by someone who is wrong.

Hypothetical, let's say this isn't actually final but you're Quinn Buckner and want to force it to happen, then you release this and dare Scott Dolson to fire him anyway.

Why would dolson be effected by a false rumor?  the media claiming he was safe wouldn't cause me any hesitation.

Most fans wouldn't be upset with the unexpected firing.

Edited by iuswingman

14 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Why would dolson be effected by a false rumor?  the media claiming he was safe wouldn't cause me any hesitation.

Most fans wouldn't be upset with the unexpected firing.

I wasn't really talking about Dolson's perspective, I was giving a hypothetical where Big Brain Buckner thinks he can bully everyone into submission. 

15 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I think the upset will wear off quickly.  I am annoyed by the news at the moment, you know what I am not doing right now, having my full attention on the meaningless game going on in Minneapolis at the moment.  That is what will be the outcome.  Every year of crap ball means a few more people who wander away from the die hard fandom.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think the upset will wear off quickly.  I am annoyed by the news at the moment, you know what I am not doing right now, having my full attention on the meaningless game going on in Minneapolis at the moment.  That is what will be the outcome.  Every year of crap ball means a few more people who wander away from the die hard fandom.

I know many who have done just that. The business of IU bball isn’t being managed well, and apathy is setting in. 2 trips to the NCAA don’t erase the effects of bad business processes. Really just at a place I never thought I or this program would be. Very little confidence in the current top leadership to make necessary changes. I love these players, but can’t blame them if they wish to seek other opportunities. 

As far as what assistant coaches might be thrown under the bus, do they even want to be on the bus?

I will continue to hold out hope for a change in leadership, but live in the apparently likely reality of CMW coming back next year. :/

• Like 2

Sorry if already covered but why the need to officially announce that a coach who is under contract for two or three more years will be back?  Isn’t he back until he is fired\retires?  No need for an announcement. A “vote of confidence” maybe. 
I understand the rumors and media pressure of yesterday might have forced an announcement but that just further weakens the position of the pro Woodson crowd. If he’s your guy silence would suffice. 
Sorry for all of the questions but I am truly confused. 

• Like 7

Tennessee Vols FB fan IU Hoops fan (long story) here.

It’s been ironic that both are top 10 or so programs in their sports of all time. Legendary pasts and both in their darkest years.

Heres what I’ve seen as the difference. The Volunteer Nation eventually said enough is enough. They hesrd a coach was going to be hired that they knew was a bad hire (leaked into the press) and the fans went NUTS. They literally took back their program. Thru social media, pressuring boosters, board and Presidents and protesting. They Forced the school to not hire that coach. Those fans refuse to NOT get their program back to the point it was.  I watched a PRESS CONFERENCE with the President of the University addressing the fans with a full commitment to return the proud history of UT football back to championship level. She felt the heat as the PRESIDENT and so did the board. 

And the program is headed back. You can see it happening.

Our fans are soft. Our boosters are soft. Everyone is sad or defeated but no one is standing up and saying “I swear we’ll replace every board member, the president and AD if we have to to get OUR program BACK.

Alumni and general public need grassroots stuff happening. It’s a public institution. Alumni take back your program!

Edited by BADGERVOL
  • Like 5

I’ve come to realize IU will never be an elite program again. They have repeatedly hired the wrong guy and continue to show that they are NOT serious about turning this ship around. It’s so sad. I’ve watched 1 game in total this season. My interest died when they hired Woodson and just can’t seem to find any reason to turn on the tv again. My prediction is they won’t fire Woody. They will let him walk away in his own time frame because he’s an IU legend. The apathy is real…

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Tennessee Vols FB fan IU Hoops fan (long story) here.

It’s been ironic that both are top 10 or so programs in their sports of all time. Legendary pasts and both in their darkest years.

Heres what I’ve seen as the difference. The Volunteer Nation eventually said enough is enough. They hesrd a coach was going to be hired that they knew was a bad hire (leaked into the press) and the fans went NUTS. They literally took back their program. Thru social media, pressuring boosters, board and Presidents and protesting. They Forced the school to not hire that coach. Those fans refuse to NOT get their program back to the point it was.  I watched a PRESS CONFERENCE with the President of the University addressing the fans with a full commitment to return the proud history of UT football back to championship level. She felt the heat as the PRESIDENT and so did the board. 

And the program is headed back. You can see it happening.

Our fans are soft. Our boosters are soft. Everyone is sad or defeated but no one is standing up and saying “I swear we’ll replace every board member, the president and AD if we have to to get OUR program BACK.

Alumni and general public need grassroots stuff happening. It’s a public institution. Alumni take back your program!

All the respect in the world. UT has 3 double digit win seasons in 2 decades. I don't think UT and IU historically belong in the same example. 

PS...best friends have been Vol season ticket holders and friends for decades. Total clown show is what they describe UT as.