2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

5 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

They still have a shot to earn playing time but there should have been more competition. 

This isn't a church league.  You play win, not make sure everyone gets a shot.

We always played to win in our church league 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The numbers and avgs don't matter a hill of beans to me. I wouldn't have OFFERED CJ Gunn. 

Evaluation is done in practice.  Again, those avgs are nil to me. 

Paragraph #1: You're playing the hindsight game.  A lot of players make a substantial Freshman to Sophomore leap.  And, Kaleb Banks flashed some potential in multiple games his freshman season.

Paragraph 2:  Whether it turned out to be the correct decision or not, those that saw CJ Gunn in practice thought he deserved a Sophomore year.  Guys like you and I didn't see him in practice.  Your overall argument condemns Woodson for bringing Gunn back, yet you admit he had an advantage in the ability to evaluate and make a decision.  You're using a contradiction to support your message.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Nobody is saying it needs to be.  But everyone acts as if they knew Gunn and Banks couldn't hack it at this point last year, when that simply isn't the case. 

If Woodson cuts them, then they transfer and turn out to be serviceable if not good players, then he gets the "He can't evaluate talent, look, he let those two go and they turned out to be good" response. 

I just said they were unproven and they were unproven.

We had XJ, who had played just 11 games the season before, Galloway and a bunch of players that hadn't played much at all or not at all.

We also had an open scholarship.

I think the opinion that Woodson should have brought in better competition at the guard spot is valid and foreseeable prior to the season starting.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

How do you know that staff wasn't?  It's not like they didn't TRY to get more quality guards...?

I don't think they tried as hard as they could have. At least not compared to this year. I see a huge turn around in their organization and effort this year. Plans. Back-up plans. On-campus visits. It seems like we've at least reached out to more than half of the 'gets' in the portal. 

Credit to the staff this year for learning from their mis-steps and seemingly turning it around. 

• Like 3

Just now, FKIM01 said:

I think most people came to the conclusion that both banks and Gunn had issues by the end of the last season.  I was much less sure after watching their freshman seasons.

Props to you for owning that one...I couldn't help but laugh as I will when it's my turn to eat a comment.

I loved the idea of him being 6'6, etc etc... but that one little comment isn't the same as Woodson and staff seeing an entire years worth of data and practices and then keeping him. But this is just a piece of the complaint.. it was all 4 of those guys plus Newton, plus XJ, plus empty scholly. All of that combined.  

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah my crimson colored glasses that day were thick. Kid sucks. 

"6'6 long athletic" should have trusted my initial evaluation. 

Hey, you weren't the only one.  I loved Gunn as a prospect also.  A lot of people here did. 

Wasn't trying to single you out, but the point I was trying to make with that is a lot of us have recency bias.  Yes, Gunn didn't turn out, but there was a lot of people at one point that thought he would.  In hindsight, yes, it's easy to say that "We absolutely needed another guard".  Go back a year and while that's certainly not a bad idea, you've got two intriguing prospects that could potentially fill that role.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Paragraph #1: You're playing the hindsight game.  A lot of players make a substantial Freshman to Sophomore leap.  And, Kaleb Banks flashed some potential in multiple games his freshman season.

Paragraph 2:  Whether it turned out to be the correct decision or not, those that saw CJ Gunn in practice thought he deserved a Sophomore year.  Guys like you and I didn't see him in practice.  Your overall argument condemns Woodson for bringing Gunn back, yet you admit he had an advantage in the ability to evaluate and make a decision.  You're using a contradiction to support your message.

Those types of players can usually dribble.  I am not the D1 HC that offered Indiana fans one of the more shit seasons in its history by trusting Gunn and others.  

I see little that contradicts that. Terrible decisions by our staff and our terrible development. One of those two stick, you can choose which one. 

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, in hindsight, it was a year late.  The only disagreement you and I have is whether or not Woody should have known that after their freshman year.  Tough call.  I hate shoving kids aside prematurely though.

And I get that. But again, it was the combo of all of those decisions. 

Back at the subject, Goode would slot nicely into the current roster.  Would be tough for me seeing him play the 4 unless you're temporarily going small.  Looks like a natural 3 to me.  I don't remember Miller Kopp being a real effective 4 in IU's system.

I hate the idea of waiting a whole week to resolve this one, but I guess there are enough open spots to give him a week.  Just seems silly when he likely already knows.

• Like 3

I’m more worried right now about getting a solid backup for Ballo than the empty 13 seat! After all he only averaged 26 minutes per game last year and heaven forbid he gets injured it’ll be like last season!😫 The minutes are there go get them coaches!

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

I’m more worried right now about getting a solid backup for Ballo than the empty 13 seat! After all he only averaged 26 minutes per game last year and heaven forbid he gets injured it’ll be like last season!😫 The minutes are there go get them coaches!

Reneau could grab a handful of those minutes if need be, but I don't like him as a full time low post 5.  Honestly someone like Walker would be perfect.  Doesn't need to be a scoring threat, isn't looking for starting minutes, but is a serviceable backup in the post.

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Kopp played the 4 in the BTT, when we made a run, in CMWs first year. It looked great. 

Sorry went and checked.  It was pretty much just the ILL game in the tourney. 

I could see it in spots, especially when you need to draw defenders out of the land, but I sure wouldn't want to start a Kopp/Goode at the 4 in the Big Ten.  I could see on occasion, running two wings and two guards and keeping someone like Ballo back under the rim.  That would certainly provide a nice change of pace and make some space for shooters.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Yeah, recruiting rankings are wrong all the time, but neither of those two had a chance to establish themselves, and the biggest jump often comes between the freshman and sophomore year.  They were behind X, JHS, Galloway and Bates, who did prove to be a serviceable high-major player at Mizzou this past year. 

So its bad recruiting then?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I could see it in spots, especially when you need to draw defenders out of the land, but I sure wouldn't want to start a Kopp/Goode at the 4 in the Big Ten.  I could see on occasion, running two wings and two guards and keeping someone like Ballo back under the rim.  That would certainly provide a nice change of pace and make some space for shooters.

I think pairing him at the 4 with Ballo would actually be a pretty effective lineup. The weaknesses would be rebounding and post defense, which are already weaknesses with Reneau at the 4 anyway. It’d also provide more space for Ballo down low and Rice, Carlyle, and Galloway to attack the rim. 

• Like 2