2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

3 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Thanks.

To clarify, is Goode being sold on being a stretch 4? I was under the impression he was more of a 2/3. 

If so, does that mean we’re moving on from Anderson and Humrichous? 

Hes 6’7

43 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

we don't need to to keep an open scholarship.  pick up a sleeper to take a shot on if nothing else.

Yes, BUT...I'm 100% fine with holding it for the guys going through the draft process.  No rush to fill the last one now.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yes, BUT...I'm 100% fine with holding it for the guys going through the draft process.  No rush to fill the last one now.

No issue with being patient with it.

28 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I checked the stats and Empty Chair had zero turnovers last year.

And yet empty chair is unable to enter the game as needed.  Last scholarship player is unlikely to see much court time anyway but better to have and not need than need and not have.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

It's gotta be with someone that has some semblance of talent or potential. I dont want to go offer the last scholarship(s) just to use them. I think it will be difficult to fill up the last scholarships... assuming Goode is onboard. The only thing to offer now is a bit of money and maybe 10-15 minutes at the 4-5?

Why? What about another body in practice. Sure, the attitude needs to fit, but I don’t understand why coaches wouldn’t fill all spots on their roster. Transferring is a 2 way street now. And whether we like to admit it or not, rosters are getting ‘creaned’. A spot for unnamed 24/25 guy is not going to be taken up by 13th guy on a roster. 

There’s also ample NIL opportunities here outside of collectives. Just imagine how Priller would’ve cleaned up in tshirt revenue. Hell, I’d buy a ‘Priller the Thriller’ right now if it was available. 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I bet their is no other fan base that worries more about who the 13th scholarship player will be on our team. A lot of programs don't ever use the 13 scholarships but our fans goes ballistic if we don't use it.

It was just one more thing to drop on Mike Woodson's head...

You know...Like where Armond Hill sat?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I bet their is no other fan base that worries more about who the 13th scholarship player will be on our team. A lot of programs don't ever use the 13 scholarships but our fans goes ballistic if we don't use it.

Yes some cheer everytime Leal enters the game.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It was the circumstances. IU had insufficient guard depth and experience in 22/23 when XJ got injured. They had even less last season when he was injured again. Filling the 13th scholarship doesn't necessarily mean it's the last guy off the bench.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It was the circumstances. IU had insufficient guard depth and experience in 22/23 when XJ got injured. They had even less last season when he was injured again. Filling the 13th scholarship doesn't necessarily mean it's the last guy off the bench.

I know but if we get Goode and another big it wouldn't be the end of the world not using the last scholarship. If your 10-12 players are Cupps, Newton and Leal your roster is pretty good. It is going to get harder to fill all of your spots because players aren't transferring to sit the bench

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Never know how injuries will play out or how all the newcomers will do.

Everyone on this board likely wished we had another guard on this team last season instead of an empty seat.

It works both ways. Just because we want another guard doesn't mean there is one interested in coming. 2 Gabe Cupps would not have helped this team last year. 

12 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Why? What about another body in practice. Sure, the attitude needs to fit, but I don’t understand why coaches wouldn’t fill all spots on their roster. Transferring is a 2 way street now. And whether we like to admit it or not, rosters are getting ‘creaned’. A spot for unnamed 24/25 guy is not going to be taken up by 13th guy on a roster. 

There’s also ample NIL opportunities here outside of collectives. Just imagine how Priller would’ve cleaned up in tshirt revenue. Hell, I’d buy a ‘Priller the Thriller’ right now if it was available. 

So let me get this straight. you would sign a guy fully knowing you are going to kick him out the door next year? so really you are using a scholarship for a single year for someone that will not get a single minute of playing time... just to say you used the scholarship? 

I already said they could make some money via NIL. 

Just because you have a scholarship available doesn't mean you walk to the rec center and offer a kid that made 10 free throws in a row. There still needs to be a baseline level of talent/potential. You don't just use it to use it. 

13 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

My issue was after you evaluated Cupps, Gunn, Leal, and Banks... then knew Newton wasn't playing this year--- you still didn't fill the scholly. That's stupid. 

And it's optics more than anything else. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

My issue was after you evaluated Cupps, Gunn, Leal, and Banks... then knew Newton wasn't playing this year--- you still didn't fill the scholly. That's stupid. 

The staff probably knew sooner, but it wasn't really official until August, I believe, that Newton was going to be out for the majority of the season.

2 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

It works both ways. Just because we want another guard doesn't mean there is one interested in coming. 2 Gabe Cupps would not have helped this team last year. 

So let me get this straight. you would sign a guy fully knowing you are going to kick him out the door next year? so really you are using a scholarship for a single year for someone that will not get a single minute of playing time... just to say you used the scholarship? 

Just because you have a scholarship available doesn't mean you walk to the rec center and offer a kid that made 10 free throws in a row. There still needs to be a baseline level of talent/potential. You don't just use it to use it. 

If coach and player will are on the same page, yes.  

A player gets a chance to prove himself and make some money in a big time program. The team gets an insurance policy (in case of injuries) and another body in practice to up the competition. 

i see this as win win. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

The staff probably knew sooner, but it wasn't really official until August, I believe, that Newton was going to be out for the majority of the season.

That didn't both me as much as evaluating Cupps, Gunn, Banks, and Leal and thinking that was enough. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Of all the flak Woody took this year, the most deserved was not using that scholarship. X hadn't been healthy or played much, so it was silly not to bring in another experienced guard. 

• Like 7

Just now, tdhoosier said:

If coach and player will are on the same page, yes.  

A player gets a chance to prove himself and make some money in a big time program. The team gets an insurance policy (in case of injuries) and another body in practice to up the competition. 

i see this as win win. 

I see that as a win win for the player. Sounds like a favor type of scholarship. Season is already down the drain if the player is needed. Still lost games, but at least the kid made some NIL money and went to school for free.

I am absolutely not against using it. Take a flyer on someone, but all scholarships don't need to be filled just to fill them for the optics to appease the fan base. 

The 13th scholarship is not the same issue year over year.  This year after Goode and a big man sign, it wont be critical.  That’s because the roster fits together.  

Last year, the offseason was an unmitigated disaster.  The missing player wasn’t the 13th man.  It was a significant player in the rotation that they didn’t fill.  

It is two different things.  If you’re good with 12 this year no one should have any confusion whatsoever that that would excuse what happened with last season’s roster.  They bombed on it and all you can do with that is try to improve on your decision making.  But that’s the thing with sports.  The record sticks.  The good news is that the next year is a fresh start.  

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Do you have a link to those stats with percentage of schools that don't use all 13 scholarships?  I would have guessed most schools use all of them.

I don't recall very many years where IU went through a season with an open scholarship but don't follow other schools to know if that's normal.

Edited by iuswingman

Just now, iuswingman said:

Do you have a link to those stats one percentage of schools that don't use all 13 scholarships?  I would have guessed most schools use all of them.  

I don't recall very many years where IU went through a season with an open scholarship but don't follow other schools to know if that's normal.

I heard  people talking about coach K didn't use all 13 scholarships 

32 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

No, I would fill the scholarship with a project that I would hope develops and worst case scenario be a good player to practice against for a year.

If he doesn't develop and we need the scholarship the next year, then yea, it would be a 1 year rental.  But someone in that position would do it for the chance to prove themselves. 

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They didn't know Newton wasn't playing until August

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They didn't know Newton wasn't playing until August

I don't believe that, but trusting Cupps, Banks, CJ, and Leal was more of an issue for me. 

The bottom line-- lack of guard depth shot us in the foot two years in a row, that can't happen. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4