2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Why? What about another body in practice. Sure, the attitude needs to fit, but I don’t understand why coaches wouldn’t fill all spots on their roster. Transferring is a 2 way street now. And whether we like to admit it or not, rosters are getting ‘creaned’. A spot for unnamed 24/25 guy is not going to be taken up by 13th guy on a roster. 

There’s also ample NIL opportunities here outside of collectives. Just imagine how Priller would’ve cleaned up in tshirt revenue. Hell, I’d buy a ‘Priller the Thriller’ right now if it was available. 

Not to mention, transferring mid-season isn't the oddity it once was. Combine that with injuries and your team can get small really quick. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I don't believe that, but trusting Cupps, Banks, CJ, and Leal was more of an issue for me. 

Yeah I think Leal is fine I t he coming year as a 5-10 minute player tops. Cupps I have hope for. He just needs to add like 25-30lbs of muscle to his frame, as he was so slight. The roster this coming year is actually looking strong and can be a contender. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They didn't know Newton wasn't playing until August

But they did know X was coming off a season where he missed significant time. And had missed a lot of time the season before. It was pretty dumb not to have another PG or at least another Combo guard.

1 minute ago, OGIUAndy said:

But they did know X was coming off a season where he missed significant time. And had missed a lot of time the season before. It was pretty dumb not to have another PG or at least another Combo guard.

We can argue about it til the cows come home, but in my eyes, it was nothing more than another thing to criticize Woodson about...

A 13th kid on the roster, especially one that we could have gotten in the time frame that we had, wasn't going to make a difference to our season...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't believe that, but trusting Cupps, Banks, CJ, and Leal was more of an issue for me. 

The bottom line-- lack of guard depth shot us in the foot two years in a row, that can't happen. 

Sometimes you gotta trust to get the results you want...

I don't think Woodson was guilty of anything other than giving Gunn and Banks a chance to earn their spots...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I see that as a win win for the player. Sounds like a favor type of scholarship. Season is already down the drain if the player is needed. Still lost games, but at least the kid made some NIL money and went to school for free.

I am absolutely not against using it. Take a flyer on someone, but all scholarships don't need to be filled just to fill them for the optics to appease the fan base. 

What can go from an attitude of 'a meaningless spot to just appease the fans', can quickly go to 'oh shit, we don't have as much depth as we though and 3 players are injured'. I'm sure I can dig up posts of people shrugging off that 13 spot last year. 

There are, what, about 2000 players in the portal? Nobody is talking about walking down to the rec center to find a player. I'm sure there are plenty of worthy players in the portal who can contribute as a valuable teammate, with potential to give minutes. This is still Indiana University, a top 3 program in terms of value. We can get a player. No unwarranted 'gifts' given. No fans being appeased. Just coaches utilizing all the resources given to them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

We can argue about it til the cows come home, but in my eyes, it was nothing more than another thing to criticize Woodson about...

A 13th kid on the roster, especially one that we could have gotten in the time frame that we had, wasn't going to make a difference to our season...

Yeah it was.. because he should have been sold on playing MAJOR mins before Banks, Gunn, Cupps, and whoever else. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

???

Not sure I know what you are asking, but I am saying players leaving a program before mid-year because they are dissatisfied on how they are being used is happening more frequently.  Because of this, I think it is smart to fully staff your team.  You have to expect the unexpected.  Players leave, they get hurt, they don't develop how you expect.  Take a flyer on raw player, a player that has the skills, but not the build/athleticism.  But don't leave a spot open for the sake of leaving a spot open. 

I think the chance of a player leaving mid-season versus transferring in are far greater, so I would not leave the scholly open for that, if that is the counter.

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

What can go from an attitude of 'a meaningless spot to just appease the fans', can quickly go to 'oh shit, we don't have as much depth as we though and 3 players are injured'. I'm sure I can dig up posts of people shrugging off that 13 spot last year. 

There are, what, about 2000 players in the portal? Nobody is talking about walking down to the rec center to find a player. I'm sure there are plenty of worthy players in the portal who can contribute as a valuable teammate, with potential to give minutes. This is still Indiana University, a top 3 program in terms of value. We can get a player. No unwarranted 'gifts' given. No fans being appeased. Just coaches utilizing all the resources given to them.

If you remember, Joey Hart was a name to know at one time...Does anybody really think he would have made much of a difference last season?

Just now, IUFLA said:

Disagree, but that's ok...

Well the results speak for themselves. Gunn/Banks both move on to non power schools, Cupps is going to be regulated to spotty mins and Leal probably isn't getting on the court. 

• Like 2

Just now, IUFLA said:

If you remember, Joey Hart was a name to know at one time...Does anybody really think he would have made much of a difference last season?

No. Not at all. But again, that's the issue. We should have been in on, and SELLING, way more mins last off-season than we were. It was coaching malpractice to go into last season and think Cupps, Gunn, and Banks could play major mins. 

• Like 2

Just now, IUFLA said:

So you coach...You never give kids a chance?

I think there’s a difference between giving players a chance and being honest with yourself and knowing where you need to upgrade talent. Anybody could’ve looked at our guard situation last year and noticed it was a little suspect. You have to do your due diligence and put together the best roster possible. It’s ok to admit that Woodson failed in that department last year

• Like 3

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

No. Not at all. But again, that's the issue. We should have been in on, and SELLING, way more mins last off-season than we were. It was coaching malpractice to go into last season and think Cupps, Gunn, and Banks could play major mins. 

Hindsight is always 20/20...

Just now, btownqb said:

Of course, until my job is on the line lol 

Evaluation is a massive part of coach's job. 

His job WASN'T on the line though...He was trying to get kids to develop and contribute...

It doesn't always work out...

5 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Not sure I know what you are asking, but I am saying players leaving a program before mid-year because they are dissatisfied on how they are being used is happening more frequently.  Because of this, I think it is smart to fully staff your team.  You have to expect the unexpected.  Players leave, they get hurt, they don't develop how you expect.  Take a flyer on raw player, a player that has the skills, but not the build/athleticism.  But don't leave a spot open for the sake of leaving a spot open. 

I think the chance of a player leaving mid-season versus transferring in are far greater, so I would not leave the scholly open for that, if that is the counter.

no counter. I just dont really recall more than maybe 5 kids transferring mid-season this year.

Just now, IUFLA said:

Hindsight is always 20/20...

His job WASN'T on the line though...He was trying to get kids to develop and contribute...

It doesn't always work out...

His job is always on the line... coaching D1 sports is that cutthroat. This isn't middle school ball where everyone gets a shot. 

The bottom line--- CJ Gunn, at least, should have been told to take a hike LAST YEAR and then you should have filled the scholly. I don't even understand how you could argue against that. 

Either his evaluation sucks or his ability to develop sucks. Or at least it did last offseason. 

Couldn't be happier with the makeup of our roster currently. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The bottom line-- lack of guard depth shot us in the foot two years in a row, that can't happen. 

Yeah, Newton went public in July of last year about the severity of his injury, one month before he had another surgery and was ruled out for the year. The training staff and coaches had to know he wasn't going to play last season or if so, wouldn't be effective with so little activity.

"Since the spring of 2022, Jakai Newton's body has rarely cooperated with his basketball ambitions.

More specifically, an injured knee that robbed the Indiana freshman guard of all but two weeks of his senior season at Newton High School in Covington, Ga., and is threatening to derail Newton's first season with the Hoosiers."

So, when can Indiana fans expect Newton to be back at full strength? That's ultimately up to the healing timetable of Newton's knee and the advice of IU's training staff and doctors, and as of now, they're opting not to take any unnecessary risks.

That means while the rest of the Hoosiers have been battling on the practice floor since June, Newton has had to watch from the sidelines. He's still studying film every day and listening intently during practice, but his first taste of college competition remains elusive.

"I talked to the Indiana doctors and trainers, and pretty much it's just I gotta take it slow," Newton said. "Like, the injury I got is tough. I've been out for so long, so I gotta build all my muscle back and still just take it easy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

I think there’s a difference between giving players a chance and being honest with yourself and knowing where you need to upgrade talent. Anybody could’ve looked at our guard situation last year and noticed it was a little suspect. You have to do your due diligence and put together the best roster possible. It’s ok to admit that Woodson failed in that department last year

You're mixing apples and oranges...

If Woodson wanted to upgrade talent, and gave Gunn and Banks their walking papers, that's one thing...

Worrying about the 13th scholarship after that fact is another...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You're mixing apples and oranges...

If Woodson wanted to upgrade talent, and gave Gunn and Banks their walking papers, that's one thing...

Worrying about the 13th scholarship after that fact is another...

It's all relative!! They should have been sent packing! Same thing with holding onto JG a year too long!