2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

Yeah, recruiting rankings are wrong all the time, but neither of those two had a chance to establish themselves, and the biggest jump often comes between the freshman and sophomore year.  They were behind X, JHS, Galloway and Bates, who did prove to be a serviceable high-major player at Mizzou this past year. 

They've also spent hundreds of hours in practice. Sorry, just don't buy the narrative that these two needed more time. They were in the program for 2 years. We're more talented now because they are gone.

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No. Not at all. But again, that's the issue. We should have been in on, and SELLING, way more mins last off-season than we were. It was coaching malpractice to go into last season and think Cupps, Gunn, and Banks could play major mins. 

How do you know that staff wasn't?  It's not like they didn't TRY to get more quality guards...?

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

Chances aren’t given they’re earned. Gunn and Banks hadn’t done anything to have earned a rotation spot going into last year.

So the fact they didn't outplay a first round draft pick, an established senior PG, an upperclassman glue guy and a 4th serviceable D1 guard as freshmen means that they automatically aren't worth it?

Take hindsight out of who they turned out to be.  You've got two 4* rated guards, one of them top 100 sitting behind the 4 individuals I just mentioned. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

This is pretty much what I just said...by the time it became apparent there were holes that wouldn't be filled, there weren't any difference makers to be had.  IU had enough to practice with already.

If you want to criticize Woody for anything, it would be for chasing talented guards that didn't come and then not having enough time to execute a backup plan.

It's all water under the bridge...But I'd agree with that

Just now, IUFLA said:

You GIVE the chance, you EARN the minutes...

The chance they were given was getting a scholarship to IU, they didn’t need to be given anything else. Their play on the court made it clear they hadn’t earned the right to any minutes.

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

So the fact they didn't outplay a first round draft pick, an established senior PG, an upperclassman glue guy and a 4th serviceable D1 guard as freshmen means that they automatically aren't worth it?

Take hindsight out of who they turned out to be.  You've got two 4* rated guards, one of them top 100 sitting behind the 4 individuals I just mentioned. 

You mean the senior pg that missed almost the entire year? We basically only had Tamar that year, who had an up and down year, to sub in as a wing. There were plenty of minutes available to both of them if they played well. Let’s not act like we had elite guard play that year.

26 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

You're going to cut loose two 4* recruits after their freshman year?

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Absolutely 

I think you're off on this one.  Not near enough of a sample size after that year to say either way.  As others have said, you'd cut a lot of very productive players if your leash was that short.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

They've also spent hundreds of hours in practice. Sorry, just don't buy the narrative that these two needed more time. They were in the program for 2 years. We're more talented now because they are gone.

They were in the program for one year prior to the start of last season, and sat behind 4 viable backcourt options.  I'm not saying they should have stayed.  In fact I think them transferring was the right move.  What I'm saying is that going into last season, they weren't the disasters they turned out to be.  They were much more unknown. 

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Cupps was a backup to XJ and Galloway at the point, with hopes that Gunn would develop and get time at the 2, and Leal picking up spot minutes...

The point has been made by @Zlinedavid that you have to give kids, especially sophomores, a shot to develop and earn playing time...And that's true...

They still have a shot to earn playing time but there should have been more competition. 

This isn't a casual church league.  You play to win, not to make sure everyone gets a shot.

Edited by iuswingman

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

They were in the program for one year prior to the start of last season, and sat behind 4 viable backcourt options.  I'm not saying they should have stayed.  In fact I think them transferring was the right move.  What I'm saying is that going into last season, they weren't the disasters they turned out to be.  They were much more unknown. 

Yeah, the sample size was considerably larger after year two to make the call...and obviously, the call was made.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iuswingman said:

They still have a shot to earn playing time but there should have been more competition. 

This isn't a church league.  You play win, not make sure everyone gets a shot.

Nobody is saying it needs to be.  But everyone acts as if they knew Gunn and Banks couldn't hack it at this point last year, when that simply isn't the case. 

If Woodson cuts them, then they transfer and turn out to be serviceable if not good players, then he gets the "He can't evaluate talent, look, he let those two go and they turned out to be good" response. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Yeah my crimson colored glasses that day were thick. Kid sucks. 

I think most people came to the conclusion that both banks and Gunn had issues by the end of the last season.  I was much less sure after watching their freshman seasons.

Props to you for owning that one...I couldn't help but laugh as I will when it's my turn to eat a comment.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

And a year late.  

Yeah, in hindsight, it was a year late.  The only disagreement you and I have is whether or not Woody should have known that after their freshman year.  Tough call.  I hate shoving kids aside prematurely though.

• Like 1