2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

6 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Let’s say we take Perkins. What would your starting lineup be? How would you stagger in 3 point shooters so teams don’t pack the lane? What players would you get to back up our starters?

Perkins

Conwell (or another transfer wing shooter)

Tucker

Mgbako

Reneau

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Let’s say we take Perkins. What would your starting lineup be? How would you stagger in 3 point shooters so teams don’t pack the lane? What players would you get to back up our starters?

Kinda hard to answer with an incomplete roster...As it stands, I think the only 2 sure things to start are Reneau and Mgbako (assuming he's back)...

I know a lot of people are enamored with high percentage 3 point shooters, but I'd take a more well rounded kid like Perkins, especially considering the intangibles, at the 2 over say guys like CJ Wilcher...

We can definitely revisit when the roster is set...

44 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

What about Leland Walker then? And if Perkins is playing off ball like some have mentioned, then 3 shooting is not going to be improved whatsoever based on Perkins history. Not to beat a dead horse but IU needs shooting!! I am fine with bringing in tough nosed, not turnover prone PGs, but then we've got to 100% bring in some cold stone killer shooters. 

Walker’s not a guarantee to start 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

33% career 3pt shooter that can get to the rim, bull dog defender, distributer, creator, solid rebounder from the 1 or Jack Gohlke 37% 3pt shooter that just shoots 3s and and is a below average defender?

I am not turning down Perkins, but he's not a threat from three. He made 23 threes this season. We cannot repeat the same stuff that's hindered us the past how many years. The starting lineup has to have someone who can knock down threes. And if Woody is intent on starting Gallo, then we basically have no shooting again. He's really got to understand this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I don’t know that Tucker will be a guaranteed starter. I think he might but I’m not sure at this point 

I was thinking from an athleticism defensive standpoint he could be solid. Swap him with Galloway and it could work. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Ben Humrichous-- sat out 7 or so games mid season (I think a foot injury).. Evansvilles record with him was solid

Before injury he avged 16ppg 6r 2a 1.5b 48% 3

He also takes and makes tough 3s. Check the link. I think he's someone we should want. 

His mom posted an old picture of him and his buddies all decked out with IU stuff this morning on facebook.. Rabby said IU is interested.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Perkins

Conwell (or another transfer wing shooter)

Tucker

Mgbako

Reneau

Do you really think Woodson will have TG come off the bench? It’s been said Perkins is way better at the 2. IMO Perkins is my backup plan to Conwell. I find out through back channels how interested Conwell is in IU and I throw him a ton of money to sweeten the deal. ISU and SLU can’t offer him what we can IMO. Maybeee SLU but paying Avila and Conwell would be super tough plus trying to build a new team for his style. 

17 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I was thinking from an athleticism defensive standpoint he could be solid. Swap him with Galloway and it could work. 

That means Galloway would play the 3 and Mgbako the 4 and Reneau the 5. Woody hasn’t shown he’s willing to do that very often unless Mgbako’s feedback from NBA is you need to play the 4 which I would be shocked they say that so he is going to want to play the 3. If you have Tucker/galloway at the 2 it means you won’t pursue Conwell which is a horrible mistake and then you must have a high percentage shooter at the point guard position.

I think with a little creativity (very little) by the staff  Galloway/Tucker and Mbacko could play together both as threes. Is there really that much difference between a three and a stretch four?  Guess I don’t think that the 1-5 positioning system has to be set in stone.  Almost every team’s lineup composition forces them to sacrifice something to gain something else…..rebounding, ball handling shooting etc. Personally I would like to se more emphasis on shooting because of what that could do for Reneau. I guess that’s why we have Avery well paid staff- to figure that out. 

14 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Do you really think Woodson will have TG come off the bench? It’s been said Perkins is way better at the 2. IMO Perkins is my backup plan to Conwell. I find out through back channels how interested Conwell is in IU and I throw him a ton of money to sweeten the deal. ISU and SLU can’t offer him what we can IMO. Maybeee SLU but paying Avila and Conwell would be super tough plus trying to build a new team for his style. 

Why not? Trey wasn’t a starter until this year. Perkins had about a 4:1 assist to turnover ratio. I don’t want a SG who can’t shoot but I’ll take a PG with a 4:1 assist to turnover all day, one that can defend and get to the rim. When fouled makes FT’s at a good clip.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

That means Galloway would play the 3 and Mgbako the 4 and Reneau the 5. Woody hasn’t shown he’s willing to do that very often unless Mgbako’s feedback from NBA is you need to play the 4 which I would be shocked they say that so he is going to want to play the 3. If you have Tucker/galloway at the 2 it means you won’t pursue Conwell which is a horrible mistake and then you must have a high percentage shooter at the point guard position.

I think Woody knows he has to make some changes. And I think the inside out comment it’s getting taken way way way overboard. I’m watching the NCAA games and I’m seeing a ton of inside play. But there are shooters with the post players. Also athleticism in droves in the backcourt. I could definitely see us playing small ball some this year. See how the roster pans out. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Why not? Trey wasn’t a starter until this year. Perkins had about a 4:1 assist to turnover ratio. I don’t want a SG who can’t shoot but I’ll take a PG with a 4:1 assist to turnover all day, one that can defend and get to the rim. When fouled makes FT’s at a good clip.  

that with a 33% 3pt

28 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I think Woody knows he has to make some changes. And I think the inside out comment it’s getting taken way way way overboard. I’m watching the NCAA games and I’m seeing a ton of inside play. But there are shooters with the post players. Also athleticism in droves in the backcourt. I could definitely see us playing small ball some this year. See how the roster pans out. 

samesies

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I agree. You can knock him for having a bad roster. That is a legit beef. But the style of play is based on the guys on the floor.  His best player last year was TJD. His best players this year were Ware and Reneau. Not too many teams could stop either 1 on 1.  It would make no sense for this year's IU team to jack up 30 3's a game. If he has no shooters again this year or has shooters but offense still sucks...

But the main reason was because of the roster more than style of play. For them to play "modern" basketball this year, Ware and Reneau would both only play 5.  MM at 4, TG at 3, AL or CJ at 2 and Cupps at one. The problem is 1, 2 & 3 - can't or don't shoot or score consistently. Had to go to the double post again to get the best players on the floor. Watch the NBA (modern basketball). It's inside out. Teams try to score underneath, if they can't, they kick it out (quickly). The key is who you are kicking it out to has to be able to drain the open three. They definitely need to shoot more threes but in reality they just need to make more. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I agree. You can knock him for having a bad roster. That is a legit beef. But the style of play is based on the guys on the floor.  His best player last year was TJD. His best players this year were Ware and Reneau. Not too many teams could stop either 1 on 1.  It would make no sense for this year's IU team to jack up 30 3's a game. If he has no shooters again this year or has shooters but offense still sucks...

But the main reason was because of the roster more than style of play. For them to play "modern" basketball this year, Ware and Reneau would both only play 5.  MM at 4, TG at 3, AL or CJ at 2 and Cupps at one. The problem is 1, 2 & 3 - can't or don't shoot or score consistently. Had to go to the double post again to get the best players on the floor. Watch the NBA (modern basketball). It's inside out. Teams try to score underneath, if they can't, they kick it out (quickly). The key is who you are kicking it out to has to be able to drain the open three. They definitely need to shoot more threes but in reality they just need to make more. 

We will find out a lot this year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I agree with this but if you’re getting Leland Walker plus Tucker plus Perkins plus TG plus Newton plus Mgbako you only have one guy who’s over 35% from 3 and that’s Mgbako at 37. That doesn’t scream a team who will make more 3s. Plus in this scenario leak goes back to not hardly playing. Plus you still would need 3 more 4/5s so that leaves open only 2 spots to get players that are shooters. If 1 of those 2 is Conwell and the other is the dude from Bradley or dude from Evansville then I feel completely different about it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I get it, but he inherited a team that struggled with shooting. In three offseasons, he's brought in one transfer who had any reputation as a shooter (Kopp) and none were guards (XJ only guard transfer). We'll see if that changes in year 4.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Feathery said:

True, but TP had a lot of shooters at Iowa. 

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I get it, but he inherited a team that struggled with shooting. In three offseasons, he's brought in one transfer who had any reputation as a shooter (Kopp) and none were guards (XJ only guard transfer). We'll see if that changes in year 4.

part of that was shooting for the moon and coming up 5' short. We went toe to toe with some of the big dogs, which is encouraging. reset the sites and build from there.

• Like 1

I think people expecting Malik to play the 5 better get used to him sitting on the bench with foul trouble! That and this talk about guards, does anyone really want one of our returning to be starting? I’m also a bit concerned about drooling over starting PG’s for teams that didn’t make the tournament? IU already has one!🤷‍♂️

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I don't mean to defend his roster decisions too much, but he did bring in Bates, Mgbako and Cupps - all of whom were billed as shooters coming in. Banks and Ware probably fit the bill, also.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I don't mean to defend his roster decisions too much, but he did bring in Bates, Mgbako and Cupps - all of whom were billed as shooters coming in. Banks and Ware probably fit the bill, also.

was cupps?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

4 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

was cupps?

Not at all. From his recruiting scouting report:

"Cupps is also developing as a shooter, which will be welcome news to any Indiana fan hoping for more perimeter scoring. As a true point guard, he’s smart about his 3-point attempts, only taking them when he’s wide open or able to create some space for himself off a dribble. Contested jumpers are not a huge part of his game."

Those who saw him in HS were hoping he could translate into the Aaron Craft mold in college. But Craft was only a 30% 3 pt shooter at OSU.