2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

16 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I don't think that starting back court provides nearly enough 3 point shooting, especially with Tucker at the 3. I also think they'll both expect to run the show, and have the ball in their hands a good share of the time.

Could be wrong, but unless both are simply looking for a pay day, I don't see why they'd sign up to play together. Could certainly be wrong, though.

I could see them co-existing but I agree with the point you’re making. Thornton is a 35% career 3pt shooter, Perkins 31.7%, and let’s throw in Gallo at 30%. All similar players, and none of them great shooters. It’d be like Groundhog Day, another year without guards that can reliably knock down shots.

Now to be clear, I really like both Perkins and Thornton and I’d take either of them in a heartbeat. I think both of them raise our floor a lot. I would just feel a lot more comfortable knowing they have some shooting threats around them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

Yes, we got him. Now six more to go.

Can you give me a breakdown of Perkins? I know you posted he was a winner and a bulldog but these stats just don’t excite me unless these last 11 games he was injured then that changes things a little. We need ALOT of shooters and adding him as someone who will need/want big time minutes just doesn’t excite me especially if we are adding Tucker who isn’t good at 3’s and not sure Mgbako is gonna be good at threes next year either. 

IMG_0679.png

2 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Can you give me a breakdown of Perkins? I know you posted he was a winner and a bulldog but these stats just don’t excite me unless these last 11 games he was injured then that changes things a little. We need ALOT of shooters and adding him as someone who will need/want big time minutes just doesn’t excite me especially if we are adding Tucker who isn’t good at 3’s and not sure Mgbako is gonna be good at threes next year either. 

IMG_0679.png

I didn’t say that. I said I haven’t heard anything about him but would love to have him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I didn’t say that. I said I haven’t heard anything about him but would love to have him. 

Oh I apologize I thought that was you that said he was a bulldog and a winner. Sorry about that. I dont really want him on the team but if someone explains stuff about him I can get on board. Good thing is having 1 year only left.

Watched Perkins play a lot over the years, and he's more of a 2 than a 1...He was kinda forced to play PG when Ulis left, and freshman Brock Harding was the only true point guard on the roster...

I haven't seen anything on Thornton leaving OSU, and if people are gauging that on Meechie Johnson going to the Buckeyes, I think those 2 could co-exist, but it'd be hard...

Thornton is a natural 1 but can be very ball dominant...He and Perkins would be a pretty good tandem in the backcourt...

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Watched Perkins play a lot over the years, and he's more of a 2 than a 1...He was kinda forced to play PG when Ulis left, and freshman Brock Harding was the only true point guard on the roster...

I haven't seen anything on Thornton leaving OSU, and if people are gauging that on Meechie Johnson going to the Buckeyes, I think those 2 could co-exist, but it'd be hard...

Thornton is a natural 1 but can be very ball dominant...He and Perkins would be a pretty good tandem in the backcourt...

To me I don’t want to bring in players that don’t make us better. We need shooters. Let’s say Perkins, Gallo, and Newton take up all 40 minutes at the 2 spot. Yes you’ll get intensity and good at driving the ball but you’re only gonna get 30% from 3 plus add in Tucker whose known weakness is shooting the 3 plus Mgbako being a streaky shooter it just all of a sudden feels no different than last year and I don’t want us to have another last year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

To me I don’t want to bring in players that don’t make us better. We need shooters. Let’s say Perkins, Gallo, and Newton take up all 40 minutes at the 2 spot. Yes you’ll get intensity and good at driving the ball but you’re only gonna get 30% from 3 plus add in Tucker whose known weakness is shooting the 3 plus Mgbako being a streaky shooter it just all of a sudden feels no different than last year and I don’t want us to have another last year.

As far as Perkins goes, take the ball out of his hands, and he's a better 3 point shooter (33% in his first three years as opposed to 30% this year)...He's much better driving the ball...

But with his experience, toughness, leadership, and defense and I'd take him without blinking an eye...

6 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

We all know we need better shooting but Perkins would be a big upgrade over any guard we had last year. SD St is shooting 31% from 3 and they are in the sweet 16

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As far as Perkins goes, take the ball out of his hands, and he's a better 3 point shooter (33% in his first three years as opposed to 30% this year)...He's much better driving the ball...

But with his experience, toughness, leadership, and defense and I'd take him without blinking an eye...

But don’t we already have that with Galloway and Leal?

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We all know we need better shooting but Perkins would be a big upgrade over any guard we had last year. SD St is shooting 31% from 3 and they are in the sweet 16

But they probably also have a coach who knows how to run a modern day offense…. We don’t!

Edited by IUfaninIllinois

Just now, IUfaninIllinois said:

If it were me Galloway will come off the bench. I also think Perkins is a lot better player than Galloway

Perkins can create his own shot and Galloway can't.

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

If it were me Galloway will come off the bench. I also think Perkins is a lot better player than Galloway

Perkins can create his own shot and Galloway can't.

Appreciate the insight. I hope if he comes he truly does make us better. I guess I’m just tired of not having shooters.

Just now, IUfaninIllinois said:

Not nearly to the extent of Tony Perkins...

Galloway might be close on D, toughness, and experience but he's a better offensive player than Trey... And Leal isn't even in that conversation...

I watched Houston's Jamal Shead this year a few times, and he's a lot like Perkins... And he only shot 31% from the arc last year...

But the games I watched, he was the toughest, not to mention best, player on the floor... Iron will...

I think Tony Perkins can be that guy for us... 

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not nearly to the extent of Tony Perkins...

Galloway might be close on D, toughness, and experience but he's a better offensive player than Trey... And Leal isn't even in that conversation...

I watched Houston's Jamal Shead this year a few times, and he's a lot like Perkins... And he only shot 31% from the arc last year...

But the games I watched, he was the toughest, not to mention best, player on the floor... Iron will...

I think Tony Perkins can be that guy for us... 

I just wonder why he had such a drastic falloff 9 of his last 11 games.

On 3/25/2024 at 3:53 PM, Andrew said:
34 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I just wonder why he had such a drastic falloff 9 of his last 11 games.

I've heard he finished the year with a hurt wrist but I can't confirm. 

• Like 1