2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

1 minute ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Playing time has to be a major concern for somebody like Essegian. If we get Carlyle as expected, we’ll already have 6 guards on the roster - Cupps, Galloway, Leal, Newton, Rice, Carlyle. Not sure I like those odds, if I’m looking for playing time.

You’ve got a true sophomore that is definitely a pass first guy (Cupps), a complete unknown (Newton), a senior that is a marksman but struggles getting his own shot (Leal). If Connor makes guard number 7, you’ve got to figure he’s tied for 4th at worst. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

You’ve got a true sophomore that is definitely a pass first guy (Cupps), a complete unknown (Newton), a senior that is a marksman but struggles getting his own shot (Leal). If Connor makes guard number 7, you’ve got to figure he’s tied for 4th at worst. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to have him, but don’t like our odds. When somebody like Nebraska can almost guarantee him a major role (maybe starting), it will be tough to overcome, but maybe he wants to come back home to Indiana…let’s hope.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

Nebraska lost 6 to the portal. They have minutes we don't have. I am just going to add, if a kid takes another visit after leaving IU, he isn't a lock. He might come here but he isn't a lock.

All depends on where his other visits are. If I’m a highly sought after prospect, I’m scheduling visits to my first two choices, then Pepperdine, Hawaii and whichever Colorado campus is closest to Aspen. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Nebraska lost 6 to the portal. They have minutes we don't have. I am just going to add, if a kid takes another visit after leaving IU, he isn't a lock. He might come here but he isn't a lock.

Correct, things were looking like a lock then Nebraska jumped in hard with a starting spot and their offense as selling points. 

9 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Correct, things were looking like a lock then Nebraska jumped in hard with a starting spot and their offense as selling points. 

Starting spot seems rich but i guess if you say it you say it 

1 minute ago, IUJoe said:

If someone is offering Essegian a starting spot, I’d bet money he’s taking it.  That’s how he’s been since he chose his school as a high school freshman.

Shots fired before 730AM.. I love it! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

If someone is offering Essegian a starting spot, I’d bet money he’s taking it.  That’s how he’s been since he chose his school as a high school freshman.

I don't think any BIG10 team is offering him a starting spot.  If he wants to start, it will likely be at a mid major, but he will certainly make less NIL.  We will see what is most important to him, $ or playing time.  

Nebraska has Rienk Mast, Juwan Gary, and Brice Williams returning, and have picked up Gavin Griffiths and Rollie Worster (G from Utah 10 ppg 6 apg), and North Dakota State big Andrew Morgan...

Not sure they have any more minutes for him than we do...

BTW, full article of Big 10 comings and goings here

• Like 1

Finding guys willing to accept a role is going to be the challenge now. The big from Drexel not looking to go up against OB for playing time. Probably makes sense because of the investment IU made in OB.

Still, you're leaving Drexel and expecting to be the starter by default at a power conference program? Possible I suppose in today's crazy NIL world. Is it likely? What about practicing against better players if your goal is the NBA? Maybe that's not what they want. Maybe IU already discussed money and it wasn't what he expects.

It really seems every player in the portal now expects to he treated like a five star super recruit. But several of them will not be on a roster when the music stops.

• Like 4