2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

20 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It shouldn't. Malone is a 5. He can stretch the floor but he's a 5. IU still needs another 4 imo.

….I mean he’s coming from NAIA to Div 1….. I don’t think he’s gonna complain about that too much as long as he can get some meaningful minutes and help out. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We’ve got 4 more spots, I believe. 

Essegian, Power, Malone, and Carlyle. 

Woody wants to play 10 deep.  That’s probably a legit 10 deep rotation. He can shut everyone up about having shooting and dynamic guards.  

We've heard this one before.....

I don't buy it. How many teams in recent years have legitimately played 10 deep? I do think Woody will keep trying though. 

• Like 3

Just now, tdhoosier said:

I don't buy it. How many teams in recent years have legitimately played 10 deep? I do think Woody will keep trying though. 

Ironically I heard a commentator mention that Bruce Pearl plays 10 deep. I didn’t go look it up to verify. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

I've been telling you all for 2 months, that we are going to be the deeepest off season team EVER !!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Ironically I heard a commentator mention that Bruce Pearl plays 10 deep. I didn’t go look it up to verify. 

Last year, Auburn didn't have any player over 25 mpg, and 10 over 14 mpg...So, yeah...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Last year, Auburn didn't have any player over 25 mpg, and 10 over 14 mpg...So, yeah...

That's one team.....good example.  

I say this, more-so because the stars need to align to make this happen. One injury and everything is shot to hell. 

And there is a difference between a steady induction of fresh players getting rotated in over time vs 4-5 new players getting subbed in with in a a 2 minute window, which is more reminiscent to what you'd see in the NBA and is what Woody seemingly would like to do. 

Edited by tdhoosier

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'll take depth/more good players, please. 

Exactly. Losing an senior All American level talent in Xavier Johnson completely derailed the season last year according to Mike Woodson. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We’ve got 4 more spots, I believe. 

Essegian, Power, Malone, and Carlyle. 

Woody wants to play 10 deep.  That’s probably a legit 10 deep rotation. He can shut everyone up about having shooting and dynamic guards.  

Some are saying you can’t go ten deep but I think Woody would love to sub out the starting 5 with a bench 5 in mass,. The key to doing so and be effective is the talent gap between your best players and your worst has to be small. You play your best players the most minutes. Not a close enough gap between best and worst in college to make it work.

7 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

Some are saying you can’t go ten deep but I think Woody would love to sub out the starting 5 with a bench 5 in mass,. The key to doing so and be effective is the talent gap between your best players and your worst has to be small. You play your best players the most minutes. Not a close enough gap between best and worst in college to make it work.

FTR, I'm not saying it's impossible. But there's depth and there's 'stupid depth'. You need 'stupid depth' to get close to a platoon substitution in CBB. On top of that you'll need to avoid injuries....so that stupid depth is more like 11-12 deep. And selling that in today's climate of transfers, NIL and the desire for playing time is a tough task. 

Maybe I'll be proven wrong though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

FTR, I'm not saying it's impossible. But there's depth and there's 'stupid depth'. You need 'stupid depth' to get close to a platoon substitution in CBB. On top of that you'll need to avoid injuries....so that stupid depth is more like 11-12 deep. And selling that in today's climate of transfers, NIL and the desire for playing time is a tough task. 

Maybe I'll be proven wrong though. 

Kentucky tried that one year when they had the Harrison twins.  It worked with moderate success until there were injuries and certain players struggled or didn't mesh. Cal ended up settling on more of a 7-8 man rotation. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Myles Rice is back in town, per his Instagram. Good for Rice, because it's Little 500, but good for Kanaan Carlyle who visits this weekend as well. I know Carlyle's been assumed for a while now, but I'll take any good vibes I can get until it's official.

He and Carlyle played AAU together, didn't they?

2 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Kentucky tried that one year when they had the Harrison twins.  It worked with moderate success until there were injuries and certain players struggled or didn't mesh. Cal ended up settling on more of a 7-8 man rotation. 

That team not winning the title was coaching malfeasance.