Mgbako is the last remaining decision

Hopefully he decides to stay and he plays the 4 this coming season.  The big issue with that is how crappy our interior defense would be with MR at the 5 and MG at the 4.  But if you keep them at 3 and 4 and bring in another 5, then we are right back where we were this past year...crappy.

If MG leaves, then I would have MR shooting 3s all summer and in his sleep.  Whatever you can do to turn him into an outside threat.

If MG returns, then I would have MR figuring out how to be an undersized rim protector without fouling as much.

Basically MR is going to have to move one way or the other instead of stuck in between positions.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/who-is-returning-for-iu-basketball-it-comes-down-to-mackenzie-mgbako/

Edited by iuswingman

• iuswingman changed the title to Mgbako is the last remaining decision
7 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Hopefully he decides to stay and he plays the 4 this coming season.  The big issue with that is how crappy our interior defense would be with MR at the 5 and MG at the 4.  But if you keep them at 3 and 4 and bring in another 5, then we are right back where we were this past year...crappy.

If MG leaves, then I would have MR shooting 3s all summer and in his sleep.  Whatever you can do to turn him into an outside threat.

If MG returns, then I would have MR figuring out how to be an undersized rim protector without fouling as much.

Basically MR is going to have to move one way or the other instead of stuck in between positions.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/who-is-returning-for-iu-basketball-it-comes-down-to-mackenzie-mgbako/

seems like a conundrum.  i mean we definitely want Taco back, but it will kind of put us right back where we were, but with possibly less talent.  first it's hard to see Woodson putting him at the 4.  if he does though, then Reneau starts at the 5, and like you said, defense is rough.  i like it offensively though!  more likely Taco is back at the 3 and Reneau at the 4, and a transfer at the 5.  we all know how that worked out this season and that was with a very talented Ware.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I get it. But it comes off as disrespectful. We don't know exactly what happened. But what has come out shows Mac may have been as much as a victim as anyrhing, and then handled it poorly. 

But he was 18, just moved away from home and had what appears to be a pretty truanatic experience occur.  For adults to refer to him by a nickname referencing that episode just makes me a little uneasy. 

It's not endearing, it's a cheap jab at a kid many many months after the fact. Just my opinion.

Well shoot.  I was making a list of similar nicknames for you.  Thought it would be fun. 

I guess if you're not a fan of MgBako getting called Taco, then you probably wouldn't like it if I referred to you as Burrito, Enchilada, or Taquito.

Maybe Sauerkraut?

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I get it. But it comes off as disrespectful. We don't know exactly what happened. But what has come out shows Mac may have been as much as a victim as anyrhing, and then handled it poorly. 

But he was 18, just moved away from home and had what appears to be a pretty truanatic experience occur.  For adults to refer to him by a nickname referencing that episode just makes me a little uneasy. 

It's not endearing, it's a cheap jab at a kid many many months after the fact. Just my opinion.

My opinion is you're giving it more meaning that it actually has but you have that right and i wouldn't try and take that from you.  I just don't agree.  Have a good day

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

People tend to look at things through their own lens while ignoring others. They should give pause when just this week Utah’s women’s team experienced what they did in Idaho! Just my opinion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

People tend to look at things through their own lens while ignoring others. They should give pause when just this week Utah’s women’s team experienced what they did in Idaho! Just my opinion.

Overall point I get, I guess. But relating MM’s nickname to racist events isn’t a good correlation IMO. MM may not like it, may think it’s funny, who knows… but it certainly doesn’t have racist intent. 

26 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’m assuming he will be back. The only reason I leave the door open to the possibility of him being gone is how emphatic he was during media day that he was only planning on being here a year. I realize plans can change, but that still lingers in my mind. 

You said it yourself. Plans change and when the NBA says you aren't ready then you either take chance on playing in the G-League or you go back to school and make more money in NIL. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

I like the Taco nickname and I love updating the Taco Meter during game threads for his 3 pointers! 🌮🌮🌮

TO me, it only really works if it is MgTaco... NOT just Taco (other than that is quicker for game thread typing). It's a truer play on his actual name and a life event that us all on the edge of our chairs...... While knowing (probably) every one of us have had a 3am craving and short fuze and poor judgement at one time in our life or another. MgBakp to MgTaco is like god (insert what ever you like) planned this out 19 years ago, for just this moment... :)

If I was he, at that age (or today) I would introduce myself like that and friggin laugh and laugh...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

seems like a conundrum.  i mean we definitely want Taco back, but it will kind of put us right back where we were, but with possibly less talent.  first it's hard to see Woodson putting him at the 4.  if he does though, then Reneau starts at the 5, and like you said, defense is rough.  i like it offensively though!  more likely Taco is back at the 3 and Reneau at the 4, and a transfer at the 5.  we all know how that worked out this season and that was with a very talented Ware.  

I really liked what I saw from Mgbacko at the 4 last year offensively. Feel like he is a mismatch plus in Woodson’s offense he would have plenty of chances at open 3’s

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Well shoot.  I was making a list of similar nicknames for you.  Thought it would be fun. 

I guess if you're not a fan of MgBako getting called Taco, then you probably wouldn't like it if I referred to you as Burrito, Enchilada, or Taquito.

Maybe Sauerkraut?

To me you get free rein to call people whatever you want because we tease you wayyyy too much about your ex wives and you totally roll with it. In fact I originally thought your 5 fouls was how many fouls (mistakes you made by getting married) you had lol. 

• Haha 1

My concern with MM is that he gets NBA feedback and decides another school will be a better fit to get the experience he needs, vs (lets just say) what he's getting now. 

He wouldn't last 5 seconds in the portal before a ton of schools come begging.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

My opinion is you're giving it more meaning that it actually has but you have that right and i wouldn't try and take that from you.  I just don't agree.  Have a good day

I would bet that he was called McTaco in 4th grade 

As names go….could be worse 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

I would bet that he was called McTaco in 4th grade 

As names go….could be worse 

eh but there is a negative connotation with the incident that happened. You may be able to get away with it within a friend circle, but it's fairly distasteful as a fan to call him that. No Purdue fan calls Isaac Haas Herpes, or Caleb Swan-ganga.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

eh but there is a negative connotation with the incident that happened. You may be able to get away with it within a friend circle, but it's fairly distasteful as a fan to call him that. No Purdue fan calls Isaac Haas Herpes, or Caleb Swan-ganga.

Agreed. It's weird that posters on here use a nickname for one of our own players based on possibly the lowest point in a young man's life. That's something you'd expect to read on a rival's message board - GBI or H&R - not here on HSN.

Edited by Maedhros
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Agreed. It's weird that posters on here use a nickname for one of our own players based on possibly the lowest point in a young man's life. That's something you'd expect to read on a rival's message board - GBI or H&R - not here on HSN.

Yeah but he struggled at basketball at one point during the season, so that's how our fans reconcile it. NO ONE eats their own more than we do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

OMG.  You all have lost your collective F*&^ing minds over the stupidest sh&$.  I am out.  Have a great day.  Enough internet for me this morning

No the stupid s%#t is calling him Taco. Period. 

• Like 3