Calipari to Arkansas?

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

It’s rare for a coach to jump from one blue blood to another. Out of the historic powers, there’s only been one coach to coach at more than one: Larry Brown, UCLA and Kansas. 

Roy Williams, Kansas and North Carolina has entered the chat.

When the four game deal between Kentucky and Indiana was announced, we didn't think there was any way Cal would stick around long enough to coach in that fourth game at Assembly Hall. Turns out, he ran from having to play Indiana at all, even at Rupp.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

When the four game deal between Kentucky and Indiana was announced, we didn't think there was any way Cal would stick around long enough to coach in that fourth game at Assembly Hall. Turns out, he ran from having to play Indiana at all, even at Rupp.

Yeah, that’s what did it

Geo Baker: “Nobody is looking at Indiana like ‘oh man, we got to get ready to play Indiana.’

“Indiana, for me, at Rutgers, when we were playing Indiana, we knew we were going in with a win. That was our mindset.”

Edited by 13th&Jackson

8 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

It’s rare for a coach to jump from one blue blood to another. Out of the historic powers, there’s only been one coach to coach at more than one: Larry Brown, UCLA and Kansas. 

Brown didn't go from UCLA to KU. He went to the NBA after UCLA

• Like 2

Wait.. Roy Williams? 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

It depends if you think UL is a blue blood because Pitino coached at UK and UL

I would include Pitino, undoubtedly, but Roy Williams would be the poster child. He even went blue blood to blue blood. 

Illinois isn't a blueblood, but still a Top 20 program historically. Self's move to Kansas was pretty unprecedented. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yeah, that’s what did it

Geo Baker: “Nobody is looking at Indiana like ‘oh man, we got to get ready to play Indiana.’

“Indiana, for me, at Rutgers, when we were playing Indiana, we knew we were going in with a win. That was our mindset.”

If IU Basketball has you so jaded that you're embracing troll quotes from Rutger players, rather than laughing at a joke at Calipari's expense, it may be time for you to find a new hobby.

• Like 4

Just now, btownqb said:

I would include Pitino, undoubtedly, but Roy Williams would be the poster child. He even went blue blood to blue blood. 

I think if Williams wasn't an alumni and a former assistant he wouldn't have left KU for UNC. He is the best example of this

About two years in as uk coach Cal said he wasn't a lifer. Something about not wanting to coach into his 70s. If he does five years at Arkansas that puts him on the doorstep. I guess Arkansas is good with a five year window and hope to get a title out of it. My guess is the money and ego push him beyond five years. Still not sure why he stays in the South. Seems he'd be looking to go back East closer to home. Unless he feels Arkansas is on the brink right now.

Roy Williams? Kansas to North Carolina.

33 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Illinois isn't a blueblood, but still a Top 20 program historically. Self's move to Kansas was pretty unprecedented. 

Bill Foster from Duke to Clemson.

Gary Williams from Ohio St. to Maryland

Johnny Orr from Michigan to Iowa St,

All head scratchers for me.

Edited by rico
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Bill Foster from Duke to Clemson.

Gary Williams from Ohio St. to Maryland

Johnny Orr from Michigan to Ohio St,

All head scratchers for me.

Well.. Gary did win a natty haha 

F'ing Coverdales ankle. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well.. Gary did win a natty haha 

F'ing Coverdales ankle. 

True.  But it was a lateral move at best(I saw it as a step down) but Gary was a Terp alum so he took it.

• Like 1