Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Because growing up my dream was to play college basketball and play for IU.  My dream was not the NBA and I love college basketball and the atmosphere around it.  Also the NBA is not going anywhere and if I am good enough after my freshman year then I will be good enough after my senior year.  Also most of the all time great basketball players played 3 to 4 years of college and it did not hurt their career at all.  Also money is not the most important thing and I would want to stay in college to enjoy the college experience as long as I can.  Kids might be ready on the court at an early age but most are not ready for everything off the court at that age and can get lost in the shuffle and have nothing to fall back on.

You aren't the only one.  This was me too growing up. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

You aren't the only one.  This was me too growing up. 

Actually my first dream when it came to basketball was to get to play in the New Castle Fieldhouse.  Our team played New Castle every year and we played our sectional and regionals there as well.

16 minutes ago, rico said:

I will agree with Scott on this one.  There is a reason why "mid-majors" have success in the tournament....their players stay for 4 years.  

There are more good teams then there was before. 4 years? No. Those kids can play regardless of class. The tourney is better now than it ever was before.. the idea that college basketball was better when everyone stayed 4 years is archaic. Now I do think they should have to stay 2 years or go to the baseball rule.. but that's beside the point. College basketball has balance right now, TV has changed everything.. every teams games are televised, basically. So what's the advantage of going to Alabama and being the 7th guy or going to UAB and being a bigger piece.. you're still going to be on TV. Again.. theres more balance now than there ever was before hence why a 16 beat a 1 seed. 

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So do you think the college game today is a better product than it was in the 80's an d90's when the majority of the top players stayed at least 4 years.

I think the game is constantly changing.  Lots of factors like AAU and high school and obviously the pro game.  Would the college game look different if kids HAD to stay four years....yes.  Better is subjective and personal.  What makes the 80's or 90's "good"?  There's a fair amount of personal preference...right?

46 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I think the game is constantly changing.  Lots of factors like AAU and high school and obviously the pro game.  Would the college game look different if kids HAD to stay four years....yes.  Better is subjective and personal.  What makes the 80's or 90's "good"?  There's a fair amount of personal preference...right?

I guess so but in my opinion the product is better when teams have older players who have played together for a few years.  To me continuity is good for the game and when you know what your teammates are going to do the flow of the game is a lot better.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Besides Labron, Kobe and Durrant I would not put any of those other players you listed as all time greats.  I am enamored with the basketball of the 80's and to the mid 90's because to me it is far superior than the product we see at all levels today.

Moses Malone, hard to argue my friend. And if you're looking at the one and done era, pretty hard to say Durant won't be an all time great, he's clearly in the conversation for second best player in the game right now behind LBJ, and I'm no fan of Durant.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess so but in my opinion the product is better when teams have older players who have played together for a few years.  To me continuity is good for the game and when you know what your teammates are going to do the flow of the game is a lot better.

Actually, I do understand your point...and don't fully disagree, but just wanted to make a point that even if kids stay four years the game evolves, changes because of influences from other levels of the game.  

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

So do you think the college game today is a better product than it was in the 80's an d90's when the majority of the top players stayed at least 4 years.

You know I'm an avid NBA fan and used to work in the league. I'm a little younger than you, but not much and also grew up on the NBA of the 80's and 90's. I'll give you the 80's, but the NBA the last decade is infinitely better than the 90's, and I don't think it's really even close. The 90's were actually pretty bad IMO, but people romanticize it because of Jordan (not saying that's what you're doing). It was basically isolation offense with very little people or ball movement.  

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You know I'm an avid NBA fan and used to work in the league. I'm a little younger than you, but not much and also grew up on the NBA of the 80's and 90's. I'll give you the 80's, but the NBA the last decade is infinitely better than the 90's, and I don't think it's really even close. The 90's were actually pretty bad IMO, but people romanticize it because of Jordan (not saying that's what you're doing). It was basically isolation offense with very little people or ball movement.  

Triangle offense courtesy of Tex Winter (rip).

Just now, jv1972iu said:

Triangle offense courtesy of Tex Winter (rip).

He was a great coach, no doubt! RIP

But yes, NBA in the 90's was basically get the ball to your best player on the extended wing, have them back down pounding the ball, then if a double-team comes under 10 seconds on the shot clock they kick it out for a jumper, if no double team comes then they take some type of fadeaway. Pretty boring.  

30 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Moses Malone, hard to argue my friend. And if you're looking at the one and done era, pretty hard to say Durant won't be an all time great, he's clearly in the conversation for second best player in the game right now behind LBJ, and I'm no fan of Durant.

I said Durant was an all time great with Labron and kobe

39 minutes ago, BGleas said:

But yes, NBA in the 90's was basically get the ball to your best player on the extended wing, have them back down pounding the ball, then if a double-team comes under 10 seconds on the shot clock they kick it out for a jumper, if no double team comes then they take some type of fadeaway. Pretty boring.  

Could have called that the Mark Jackson rule. Back down, back down, back down, turn or kick out.

51 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The Big O was an expert at backing down his defender back in the day of the Cincinnati Royals.

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Interrupting this incredibly tired and played out discussion to remind everyone that MJ played against plumbers and milkmen, and the Warriors would sweep any team from the 80s and 90s.  Now back to IU Scott and your regularly scheduled programming.

Image result for plumber nba

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Because growing up my dream was to play college basketball and play for IU.  My dream was not the NBA and I love college basketball and the atmosphere around it.  Also the NBA is not going anywhere and if I am good enough after my freshman year then I will be good enough after my senior year.  Also most of the all time great basketball players played 3 to 4 years of college and it did not hurt their career at all.  Also money is not the most important thing and I would want to stay in college to enjoy the college experience as long as I can.  Kids might be ready on the court at an early age but most are not ready for everything off the court at that age and can get lost in the shuffle and have nothing to fall back on.

One thing I can add in Scott's defense is getting that degree is a great fallback plan if you don't make it in the NBA.  You go to IU, play 3-4 years and get your degree, you'll never want for a job.  I'd hire a well-known former IU player on the spot assuming he was good with people.

9 hours ago, DocHoosier said:

Greg Marshall was right next to Alford in my Non-Wish list. He comes with significant baggage with his personality. After the previous 9 years, I was looking for a coach who’s all business—Archie fits the bill!

Yeah, after seeing his antics in Canada a couple of summers back, I had no desire to ever see him coach at IU.

5 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Interrupting this incredibly tired and played out discussion to remind everyone that MJ played against plumbers and milkmen, and the Warriors would sweep any team from the 80s and 90s.  Now back to IU Scott and your regularly scheduled programming.

Just to clear up what I’m saying, I don’t necessarily mean the teams are better today than in the 90’s, too hard to compare eras like that, just saying the way the game is played is infinitely better IMO. 

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just to clear up what I’m saying, I don’t necessarily mean the teams are better today than in the 90’s, too hard to compare eras like that, just saying the way the game is played is infinitely better IMO. 

My post wasn’t directed toward you at all — was really just joking in response to this topic coming up yet again, haha.  (But I am half serious, VBG)

Archived