Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Just to clear up what I’m saying, I don’t necessarily mean the teams are better today than in the 90’s, too hard to compare eras like that, just saying the way the game is played is infinitely better IMO. 

Disagree wholeheartedly. The game today is much more entertaining than in the 90's. From a fundamental standpoint, today's game is nowhere close.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Disagree wholeheartedly. The game today is much more entertaining than in the 90's. From a fundamental standpoint, today's game is nowhere close.

Depends on what you mean by fundamentals, guys today have way better handles, are better shooters and more all around skilled, the ball movement is much better, etc. 

12 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

I loved the NBA in the 90s.  It's unwatchable now.

Curious what you think is unwatchable about it?

Compared to the 90’s, the NBA of today has way better ball movement and spacing, the shooting is better, the players are more skilled, all-around players, etc. The one thing I do agree on is that I don’t love the ‘3 or nothing’ aspect of today’s game, but again overall the ball movement, people movement, spacing and skill are much better. 

The 90’s was filled with isolation basketbal, not as much movement on offense, etc. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Compared to the 90’s, the NBA of today has way better ball movement and spacing, the shooting is better, the players are more skilled, all-around players, etc. The one thing I do agree on is that I don’t love the ‘3 or nothing’ aspect of today’s game, but again overall the ball movement, people movement, spacing and skill are much better. 

The 90’s was filled with isolation basketbal, not as much movement on offense, etc. 

Constant ridiculous flopping, nonexistent defense partly due to how the games are officiated.  I don't agree players are more all around skilled because very few play defense and that is half of the game.  Tanking, and players walking around half the time.  You really don't need to watch any of the games until the East and West finals. Superstar call bias has reached an unprecedented level, and the players who benefit the most from it have the audacity to complain every play still.  It's all about dunks, 3 pointers and 120+ point games.  I feel like the game has been catering to the casual fan way too much.

29 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

He probably wouldn't sense it's about 90's NBA,good history lesson 

I'm tired of coming to these forums and there being no new messages for a day.  I welcome tangents.  I love the professionalism of this site.  I don't love the constant hallway monitor mentality of some of the user's. If there is an actual KBJ discussion going on and a tangent breaks out, I get it, it is annoying.  If there is no subject related news for days and people get on another topic for a short period of time I think it should be welcomed, and if enough people join the convo then we can move it to another page.

Just my 2 cents :coffee:

46 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

I'm tired of coming to these forums and there being no new messages for a day.  I welcome tangents.  I love the professionalism of this site.  I don't love the constant hallway monitor mentality of some of the user's. If there is an actual KBJ discussion going on and a tangent breaks out, I get it, it is annoying.  If there is no subject related news for days and people get on another topic for a short period of time I think it should be welcomed, and if enough people join the convo then we can move it to another page.

Just my 2 cents :coffee:

I love the NBA when the Pacers can actually win something. Other than that, I don't really care. It's always the same teams winning every year because it's a superstar league. Whatever team has those players (Jordan, Duncan, Bryant, Shaq, LeBron, Steph etc) and a secondary top 20 player wins. There might be 1-4 teams like that, but beyond that, very rarely does any other team have a chance. 

1 hour ago, CapnRon said:

Constant ridiculous flopping, nonexistent defense partly due to how the games are officiated.  I don't agree players are more all around skilled because very few play defense and that is half of the game.  Tanking, and players walking around half the time.  You really don't need to watch any of the games until the East and West finals. Superstar call bias has reached an unprecedented level, and the players who benefit the most from it have the audacity to complain every play still.  It's all about dunks, 3 pointers and 120+ point games.  I feel like the game has been catering to the casual fan way too much.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. Still,

-- there's tons of great D played in the League today, there are genuinely elite two-way players, guys who play the game almost completely for D (e.g., Roberson), teams like the Thunder who (when Roberson is healthy) the reason they contend is because of their D, etc. Flopping is annoying, but there are rules to penalize it now. 

-- It's hard to question the skill level of today's nba players. I mean Kyrie's and Curry's handles? It's almost obscene how good they are. The level of shooting, the efficiency and range, is well beyond what it ever was. We've had almost two straight decades of the most fundamental team in basketball -- the Spurs -- leading to 5 championships. Yes, they had Duncan, who of course was dubbed the "Big Fundamental" because that's exactly what he was. Name the players who owned the shot from the elbow/bank shot like Duncan. Not many. He's one of the top if not the best PF the game has seen. Now he's retired, but only recently.

-- Can't stand the tanking and do hope that the League moves to best 16 teams regardless of conference, and changes the lottery system to incentivize / reward teams close to the cut, and discourages tanking.

-- The rule changes have been made to spur scoring because the defensive games got boring for the casual fan.  I enjoy D (loved the old Pacers' blue collar teams) but watching a parade of free throw shooters and low scoring games gets old and boring. Do think they need to tighten the rules up a bit so that guys like Curry can't just go crazy (the reason guards score so much now is because of the no contact rules) but scoring is what most people enjoy watching.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I would agree with some of that but to me the shooting is not better today than t was back then.

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I would agree with some of that but to me the shooting is not better today than t was back then.

That’s just flat out not true.  Shooting today is substantially better- look at the statistics. Numbers don’t lie.

Those that say they don’t like the NBA must not have a team to watch because I enjoy the hell out of watching the Pacers, especially now with Vic. If you want to complain about small market teams getting screwed, I’m all for that.  I hate how the NBA has become a superstar driven league.  The quality of basketball though is tremendous, defense included, and like others have said, far more skilled than the NBA of the 80s or 90s. I’m willing to admit that and I loved the 90s NBA.  

10 hours ago, hoosier10 said:

That’s just flat out not true.  Shooting today is substantially better- look at the statistics. Numbers don’t lie.

Those that say they don’t like the NBA must not have a team to watch because I enjoy the hell out of watching the Pacers, especially now with Vic. If you want to complain about small market teams getting screwed, I’m all for that.  I hate how the NBA has become a superstar driven league.  The quality of basketball though is tremendous, defense included, and like others have said, far more skilled than the NBA of the 80s or 90s. I’m willing to admit that and I loved the 90s NBA.  

I watch the Pacers but I just can't sit down and watch any other game.  3 point shooting might be better but I just like to see a more well rounded game.  It is now just shooting 3's or go to the basket with no in between game.  I like seeing post play where players actually have post moves besides just putting their head down and going to the basket.  I like seeing the 15 foot shot from the baseline as well.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I watch the Pacers but I just can't sit down and watch any other game.  3 point shooting might be better but I just like to see a more well rounded game.  It is now just shooting 3's or go to the basket with no in between game.  I like seeing post play where players actually have post moves besides just putting their head down and going to the basket.  I like seeing the 15 foot shot from the baseline as well.

The game has changed Scott.  Hell, they all do through the course of time.  

1 minute ago, StLHoosier said:

So is the consensus that KBJ will commit shortly after TJD?  I’ve seen KBJ say that they aren’t a package deal, but with them having narrowed their choices down to pretty much the same schools, it sure seems that way.

That's the consensus on this board that TJD will commit soon and KB by early November.

3 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

So is the consensus that KBJ will commit shortly after TJD?  I’ve seen KBJ say that they aren’t a package deal, but with them having narrowed their choices down to pretty much the same schools, it sure seems that way.

If they both chose MSU, IU is in a load of trouble.

10 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Not a package deal. 2 guys that enjoy playing together and hanging out. Neither are followers, if 1 went off the rails and selected UCLA the other would not necessarily follow.  Both will be Hoosiers very soon 

I have think Archie absolutely knows that he has both in the bag.  He just has to as we're not really leading for anyone else.  Nothing else just makes any sense.  If he doesn't already know he has both then we probably have a coach who is far more clueless than Mike Davis or Tom Crean ever could hoped to have been.  That's not the case though guys.  We have a great coach and TJD and Brooks will both be Hoosiers.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I have think Archie absolutely knows that he has both in the bag.  He just has to as we're not really leading for anyone else.  Nothing else just makes any sense.  If he doesn't already know he has both then we probably have a coach who is far more clueless than Mike Davis or Tom Crean ever could hoped to have been.  That's not the case though guys.  We have a great coach and TJD and Brooks will both be Hoosiers.

Good point. One has to think, worst case scenario, we only get one.

Archived