Pet Peeves

Another weather-related one: people who flood comment sections on weather posts with stuff like "I never got any notice of the warning from your app, thanks for nothing," etc. 

Here's a thought: maybe put your effing phone away, go outside, observe what's happening and decide what you need to do next. I know, making your own decisions instead of relying on someone else to alert you is both challenging and scary. Welcome to life. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Another weather-related one: people who flood comment sections on weather posts with stuff like "I never got any notice of the warning from your app, thanks for nothing," etc. 

Here's a thought: maybe put your effing phone away, go outside, observe what's happening and decide what you need to do next. I know, making your own decisions instead of relying on someone else to alert you is both challenging and scary. Welcome to life. 

It seems to be anymore that everything is somehow someone else’s fault! No one takes responsibility for their own actions! Today when there were tornado watches I charged my power back up!

We live near some woods....

Where there are a good deal of leaves on the ground....

Where dogs like to poop....

Where other dogs like to sniff and do their business by....

And where responsible pet owners clean up their dog's poop while stepping in the unseen droppings from dogs whose owners don't seem to give two ....😡😡😡

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

In restaurants too. There’s a whole empty place and you want to sit next to us?

If you don't have screaming kids with you, I would insist on sitting next to your booth/table. I do it all the time because parents don't teach their kids manners anymore....much less discipline them 

32 minutes ago, DWB said:

If you don't have screaming kids with you, I would insist on sitting next to your booth/table. I do it all the time because parents don't teach their kids manners anymore....much less discipline them 

I’m probably okay with you sitting by me if you don’t have screaming kids. I’m not real good at entertaining people’s kids in restaurants these days. Here in Brooklyn, it’s important to note that EVERY kid is the MOST important kid who has ever existed. It’s the public’s job to acknowledge just how special the kid (and the parents!) are. It’s Brooklyn, after all! 

My wife still tells people about the time when we were dining outdoors and a five year old kept coming up to our table demanding us to comment on his toys. I started with “Not now kid,” then went to “Looks great, but not now,” to “GO AWAY kid.”

The father finally got involved when I told his kid to go away. He told me how horrible I was to children and that he hoped my own kids experienced the same. I told him it wasn’t my job to entertain his kid or for that matter his wife. That shut things down pretty quickly. 

22 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Kind of like the guy that chooses the urinal right next to you?

Ae long as they don’t talk. But they always talk…

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

The father finally got involved when I told his kid to go away. He told me how horrible I was to children and that he hoped my own kids experienced the same. I told him it wasn’t my job to entertain his kid or for that matter his wife. That shut things down pretty quickly. 

You’de have liked the old WW2 German I learned most of what I know about tooling from. He told the story of being out with the grandkids. They were acting up and he told them if they didn’t settle down they would have to wait in the car until he and everyone else finished their supper peacefully. Instead of thanking him for putting the kids in the car, everyone was calling him an animal or worse!

We were in a Chili's one night, and booth next to us had 2 kids, under 4 screaming and yelling like they were at war outside. We couldn't even talk to each other.

I finally got up and went to the mother and said (and I quote): Do those kids have an off switch? She starting grinning and I was as dead pan as you could be. She asked, you're not kidding? I said No I'm not. We can't even say 2 words to each other because your damn kids don't have an respect for others.

The parents finally made them sit down and reduce (not eliminate) the volume.

Now, I refuse to sit next to a family with kids under 10. I'll wait for another table to open up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

I’m probably okay with you sitting by me if you don’t have screaming kids. I’m not real good at entertaining people’s kids in restaurants these days. Here in Brooklyn, it’s important to note that EVERY kid is the MOST important kid who has ever existed. It’s the public’s job to acknowledge just how special the kid (and the parents!) are. It’s Brooklyn, after all! 

My wife still tells people about the time when we were dining outdoors and a five year old kept coming up to our table demanding us to comment on his toys. I started with “Not now kid,” then went to “Looks great, but not now,” to “GO AWAY kid.”

Ae long as they don’t talk. But they always talk…

About 4 years ago, before the pandemic, we had a couple and their 2 kids sitting near us at a nice seafood place in Humble we frequent... The kids were running amok, and even hid under our table. My wife tried talking me off the ledge, but I finally had my fill...

I went over and asked the guy if he ever took his wife out on a "date night" without the kids. He smiled and said, yeah...

So I said, "Well here's my phone number. Call me next time you do and tell me where to meet you, so I can sit nearby and raise hell and scream." 

Then I made the restaurant manager (who knew us well from having dined there a lot) move us away from them...

No excuse for letting kids behave like that... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Drroogh said:

When you go out of your way to park away from people and then someone seemingly goes out of their way to park right next to you?!?!

My biggest one. Stems from a bump and run I received at Kroger years ago. I started parking literally 20 spots away from the closest car and yet I still get somebody who has to park right next to me.  Drives me crazy.

• Like 1

So I'm getting gas this morning at my local Kroger. I pull up and a dude just sitting there pumping his gas with heater in the mouth. I'm not here to judge on whether people smoke or not.....but just not next to a gas pump. 

I asked the guy are you seriously sitting there smoking next to the pump?? He goes oh my gosh. I have a lot on my mind and completely forgot I was smoking. 

Anyway. Pet peeve...don't smoke next to gas pumps has moved up the list. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

My wife, daughter, and I attended a Kentucky Derby Festival event this morning (Great Balloon Race).  After the event ended, we're walking with the crowd back to our car, which was probably 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile away.  A significant part of that journey was walking on the edge of a road with no sidewalks.  The vehicles going up and down the road contained not only event traffic, but normal Saturday morning traffic from people going other places.  It was not bumper to bumper by any means, and traffic was moving along about 25 miles an hour.

The event brought in a lot of families with small children.  Parents that were walking with their children (ages 2-7 range) were doing a good job of holding the child's hand.  My issue is this.  More than half of the parents had it set up where their child was the closest person to the road.  And, when I say closest, I mean in many cases the child is actually walking on pavement, on the line.  

My parents didn't make it a point to tell me what to do when walking along the road with a child when I was growing up.  Common sense tells me that the adult should be closer to the road than a small child.  Where is the common sense from the new generations of parents?  It sure was not on display today.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

My wife, daughter, and I attended a Kentucky Derby Festival event this morning (Great Balloon Race).  After the event ended, we're walking with the crowd back to our car, which was probably 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile away.  A significant part of that journey was walking on the edge of a road with no sidewalks.  The vehicles going up and down the road contained not only event traffic, but normal Saturday morning traffic from people going other places.  It was not bumper to bumper by any means, and traffic was moving along about 25 miles an hour.

The event brought in a lot of families with small children.  Parents that were walking with their children (ages 2-7 range) were doing a good job of holding the child's hand.  My issue is this.  More than half of the parents had it set up where their child was the closest person to the road.  And, when I say closest, I mean in many cases the child is actually walking on pavement, on the line.  

My parents didn't make it a point to tell me what to do when walking along the road with a child when I was growing up.  Common sense tells me that the adult should be closer to the road than a small child.  Where is the common sense from the new generations of parents?  It sure was not on display today.

Not just with kids, in the old days guys always took the street side when walking with women. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I wonder too if there is an instinctual component. I've always gravitated toward whatever side posed the most risks. 

I've just never understood how men can abuse women and children. It has always felt instinctual to me to be protective also. I can be in any store and not hear a thing going on around me, until a child starts crying. Then I'm looking to see what's happening.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I wonder too if there is an instinctual component. I've always gravitated toward whatever side posed the most risks. 

It’s not just women and children, I’ve walked up to a group of friends and realized there was a heated discussion with someone we didn’t know. Instinct took over and I stepped in between and made myself the object of discussion!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

It’s not just women and children, I’ve walked up to a group of friends and realized there was a heated discussion with someone we didn’t know. Instinct took over and I stepped in between and made myself the object of discussion!

I usually hang off to the side but when I hear something going on I get interested and start to feel a little loose. Except for the one time I did get involved.  

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I usually hang off to the side but when I hear something going on I get interested and start to feel a little loose. Except for the one time I did get involved.  

Yeah well I carried a few things in my pocket (not weapons) I had lots of experience in competitive fighting sports. That and I knew people who did grow up in Gary. My dentist would tell stories of getting caught without his knife when being threatened to give his money by someone with a knife. He said he would reach to his back pocket and stop. He would then say if you don’t put your knife away I’m going to take mine out. Kind of like being suddenly in front of a bear, projecting you are the dominant one will usually have the other back off. If not what does the National Park Service say about an animal confrontation that ends up with an attack, ‘fight with everything you have’ 

Back to parents not watching out for their kids? I guess for most of them they’re just oblivious because they’re only thinking about themselves?

• Like 1

In a book I just finished, 1776, there were quite a few sentences that peeved me. 

For example, "George Washington had had a difficult job in building an army"

Had is already past tense. There are very few instances where the use of had had can work. All other uses are annoying and incorrect. 

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

In a book I just finished, 1776, there were quite a few sentences that peeved me. 

For example, "George Washington had had a difficult job in building an army"

Had is already past tense. There are very few instances where the use of had had can work. All other uses are annoying and incorrect. 

Punctuate this famous sentence correctly:

"James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher"

• Haha 1