Pet Peeves

On 6/8/2023 at 12:16 PM, Drroogh said:

Reading restaurant reviews and realizing they are skewed by posters with food allergies, special needs, etc. If you have a food allergy state your displeasure but give the restaurant a fair rating based on what the rest of us can relate to! Please, if you are a vegan don’t even rate a burger grill!!!!

Going to add everyone has staffing issues, so to the reviewers complaining about slow service and yet saying how the wait staff was pleasant??? Such are the times, deal with it!

And make sure to tip the ones that show up!!!

Edited by Drroogh

• 2 weeks later...

Got back Sunday night from a 20 day road trip across the country.  As a result, I can comfortably add big rig drivers who are going 65 MPH that decide to pass the truck in front of them that is going 64.9999992484 MPH while on a highway with only two lanes in each direction.  30 miles later down the road, no one has made any progress.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Got back Sunday night from a 20 day road trip across the country.  As a result, I can comfortably add big rig drivers who are going 65 MPH that decide to pass the truck in front of them that is going 64.9999992484 MPH while on a highway with only two lanes in each direction.  30 miles later down th he road, no one has made any progress.

Remember on the interstate one time traffic in both lanes was backed up. The express lane was making very slow progress. Had a pickup with a cap in front and couldn’t see anything, all of a sudden he squeezed into a spot in the slow lane. Nothing was in front of me except in the slow lane about 3 cars forward a State Trooper! I’m like crap he already knows how fast I’m going so I kept going. As soon as I passed him he pulled off the road and it was like “release the hounds” people were blowing by me like I was standing still!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Got back Sunday night from a 20 day road trip across the country.  As a result, I can comfortably add big rig drivers who are going 65 MPH that decide to pass the truck in front of them that is going 64.9999992484 MPH while on a highway with only two lanes in each direction.  30 miles later down the road, no one has made any progress.

I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL - THIS SHOULD BE PUNISHABLE BY DEATH.  I respect truckers and the work they do, but if you're gonna pass, pass.  This is dangerous.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2023 at 11:15 AM, 5fouls said:

I swear it’s a prereq on I-70 in Ohio. I travel frequently back to Indiana and this doesn’t happen anywhere else in that span. But bam, I hit the Ohio border and they think they are pace cars. Or one pulls around to pass at the base of a hill. C’mon man….

• Like 2

On 6/27/2023 at 11:15 AM, 5fouls said:

This is probably what I hate most about interstates. Interstates were designed for faster travel. I want to get up to 75 and just hit cruise control. It's so annoying constantly having to brake for trucks that do this. 

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

The huge explosive fireworks are fun at baseball games...not so much when 3 people in your neighborhood are doing them all at once at 11 p.m. 

I'm a sucker for fireworks. Not sure where you live or are from. My hood...has had fireworks going off each night since last Thursday and the 11 o'clock thing is merely a suggestion. Haha. Enjoy the 4th!

11 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

The huge explosive fireworks are fun at baseball games...not so much when 3 people in your neighborhood are doing them all at once at 11 p.m. 

I have a puppy who has been traumatized by the fireworks. I took him out 20 minutes ago thinking we’d get a walk in before they started up again. Almost as soon as we got going, someone let off a boomer. He settled down but on the way back another got him antsy.

Cannot stand this holiday. Cannot stand what the fireworks do to pets

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I have a puppy who has been traumatized by the fireworks. I took him out 20 minutes ago thinking we’d get a walk in before they started up again. Almost as soon as we got going, someone let off a boomer. He settled down but on the way back another got him antsy.

Cannot stand this holiday. Cannot stand what the fireworks do to pets

100%... Horses are even worse... Texans love those fireworks (they actually set them off on Valentine's Day)... Horses have been running around like it's the Belmont for the last hour... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hit the trifecta today and not in a good way. From winter of 2020 we've replaced AC, Furnace, and Water Heater. 

Furnace-bought and the following year had to replace capacitor

AC-Installed and worked great for one summer....had to replace

Water Heater-Bought two years ago and now no hot water. I'm hoping it's  something like a pilot light.

So here's my pet peeve. Shouldn't these be like 10-20 year purchases and be done with it? Now I'm chasing this stuff all over again.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Hit the trifecta today and not in a good way. From winter of 2020 we've replaced AC, Furnace, and Water Heater. 

Furnace-bought and the following year had to replace capacitor

AC-Installed and worked great for one summer....had to replace

Water Heater-Bought two years ago and now no hot water. I'm hoping it's  something like a pilot light.

So here's my pet peeve. Shouldn't these be like 10-20 year purchases and be done with it? Now I'm chasing this stuff all over again.

No hot water at all?  Is it electric or gas?

To answer your question, yes.  In 10 years I've bought 2 ranges and 3 front load washers. Drives me mad. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

To answer your question, yes.  In 10 years I've bought 2 ranges and 3 front load washers. Drives me mad. 

wholy crap. If y'all are replacing that often, it'd be better to buy $200 rebuilds and just budget for it anyway. BUT the rebuilds should also last 10 years and probably would!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think the pilot light went out. Will find out tomorrow morning I guess. I know nothing about that world.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think the pilot light went out. Will find out tomorrow morning I guess. I know nothing about that world.

I just wondered because mine is electric and I had no hot water for about 3 days a few years ago. Ended up being a part on top called a heat trap. The real kicker was it was the type with a little plastic ball in it. The ball broke loose and went through my pipes and plugged up my toilet supply line. So I got to replumb my water heater and toilet lines.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

wholy crap. If y'all are replacing that often, it'd be better to buy $200 rebuilds and just budget for it anyway. BUT the rebuilds should also last 10 years and probably would!

One washer was a refurbished and another I replaced the tub bearing. The bearing goes out or the spider arm breaks on the 3 I've had. 

The range was my fault, I'll admit. It was a glass top and I dropped my cast iron on it. Oops!

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

General rule of thumb...

Don't buy an appliance with all the bells and whistles, or the latest/greatest model. More stuff to go wrong, break, computer locks up, etc. Repairs on these are the most expensive.

I tend to buy the middle, to one step below middle (not the lowest) model of appliance without the bells and whistles. Have had very good luck for the most part on longevity for all types of appliances & water heaters.

But....did have an issue with a Whirlpool frig recently. 5 years old, and the main evaporator coil goes out. Repair guy wants $1500 to replace it and inspect the rest of the frig. (there isn't anything else on the frig except the compressor to inspect @!*!+!%) I bought the evap coil from Whirlpool (only $80 by the way) and a friend came down and helped me install it. Cost me an extra $4 for the can of refrigerant I had to add to the system. Been working great now for almost a year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Try re-lighting the pilot light tonite, yourself. Probably have to push in a knob to get the gas flowing again. Hold it in and light a match or hand held propane lighter and try to light pilot. Keep holding the gas knob in for 30 seconds if it lights, and release it slowly.

Could have just been an air pocket in your gas line. Doesn't take much to extinguish a pilot light.

If this works, I just saved you $100 service call. If it doesn't....the repair guy won't charge you any more.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 1