Pet Peeves

It happened to me again today! Someone does the ol’ “pull thru” in the grocery parking lot so they don’t have to back out of their spot. Right between two pickups so I couldn’t see her until I was about 1/3 of the way pulled in. Thankfully, I was quick to hit the brakes. And…. then the big smile as she walks into the store, like “I know I screwed up but I’m a good looking woman so you can’t be pissed at me”🤬🤬🤬

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

It happened to me again today! Someone does the ol’ “pull thru” in the grocery parking lot so they don’t have to back out of their spot. Right between two pickups so I couldn’t see her until I was about 1/3 of the way pulled in. Thankfully, I was quick to hit the brakes. And…. then the big smile as she walks into the store, like “I know I screwed up but I’m a good looking woman so you can’t be pissed at me”🤬🤬🤬

I think (by design) Kroger builds their parking lots smaller to give the appearance of being full all the time. I personally witness about 5x per week some of the dumbest driving at my Carmel Kroger. In between truck moves like the one you describe, backing out without even looking.

If I get in and out without a close call that day is going to be a good one. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I hate that people don't realize that nearly half of Joe's are actually above average.

I always liked the Katee Sackhoff line in ‘Riddick’ . ‘Is it true half the people you meet have less than average intelligence?’

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Long rant warning.  Who goes to a public gym?  Well, new pet peeve.  There is a new genre of individuals,  can't tell if they are just trolling,  trying to catch a funny on video deal or what.  But these individuals are doing 2-3 things that really piss me off.  

1.  Use a squat rack or bench for like 45 mins straight.  And I'm not talking about putting up weight either.  I'm talking like 12 sets of light weight, all while acting like you are so focused to the extreme like you are a serious power lifter.  You're not.  Your body tells the truth.  

2. Videoing yourself lifting the said light weight, then going back and watching the video you just made.  

3.  And I guess I'll add this.  In 6 months, you've made no gains.  Your still fat.  You are spending a lot of time and some energy doing a lot of nothing.  

It leads me to believe they are just setting up the camera to hopefully catch someone in the background doing something dumb so they can put it on tiktok or Instagram or whatever else lame thing they do.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Anyone ever thought of how many naked asses have set in that hotel room desk chair?  Yea me either, until I have my cheeks stick to the naugahide.  ooouuuuuu  ~~~ germs , germs !!!!! 

I had never thought about that before.  Now, I will never NOT think about it when I am in a hotel room.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Long rant warning.  Who goes to a public gym?  Well, new pet peeve.  There is a new genre of individuals,  can't tell if they are just trolling,  trying to catch a funny on video deal or what.  But these individuals are doing 2-3 things that really piss me off.  

1.  Use a squat rack or bench for like 45 mins straight.  And I'm not talking about putting up weight either.  I'm talking like 12 sets of light weight, all while acting like you are so focused to the extreme like you are a serious power lifter.  You're not.  Your body tells the truth.  

2. Videoing yourself lifting the said light weight, then going back and watching the video you just made.  

3.  And I guess I'll add this.  In 6 months, you've made no gains.  Your still fat.  You are spending a lot of time and some energy doing a lot of nothing.  

It leads me to believe they are just setting up the camera to hopefully catch someone in the background doing something dumb so they can put it on tiktok or Instagram or whatever else lame thing they do.  

Is this a self-analysis?  :coffee:

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2023 at 5:49 PM, Drroogh said:

Drive through literacy problems! By the time the guy in front of me agreed with the worker the order had been repeated by one or the other 5 times. Still not sure they got it right? 

Dairy Queen is horrible about this. I've rearranged the order in which I ask for food and no matter how I do that or how many times I say it, they still get it wrong. On the rare occasion they get it right, there's usually some other little mistake, like two top buns for the burger or no spoon for the ice cream. 

I used the KFC drive-thru recently and the lady ahead of me must have talked for a solid five minutes for an order that totaled about 8 dollars and change. 

Store departments/employees not communicating on what should be very basic stuff. 

I went to Walmart the other day for groceries and decided to get a bag of garden soil. Before I went in, I looked up the letter/number and the price from the bags that were sitting out in the parking lot so I could tell the cashier what I wanted. I tell the cashier while she's checking out my groceries, and she starts looking through all these binders trying to find it. She had to go find another employee, who gave her the correct binder with the prices for lawn and garden items. She starts leafing through it and then informs me that she's sorry, but that item is sold out. I told her no it's not, I was just out there and there's a whole pallet with bags of soil. She then informs me she can't sell it to me because there's a sticker covering the barcode and she doesn't know what to do. I asked if there was someone else she could call. We get a customer service worker who radioes the lawn and garden department to confirm the soil is there, and he removes the sticker so she can scan the barcode. He sighs and says "I wish they would tell us when they get stuff." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Don't have all the info I need to respond properly, but as a "new" gym old fart trying to get into shape, I started out with light weights too. And 5 months later, I've increased the weight, but not by a lot. I'm more interested in toning up than I'm in trying to bulk up. Some people prefer high amounts of reps, vs heavier weight. According to trainers at my gym, the results are the same, only more reps take a toll on your joints, vs heavier weight and less reps.

Exercise is no guarantee for losing weight. If you exercise and eat like a fool, you'll still be fat (ask me how I know) Diet and exercise usually works better.

As far as the video recording goes, maybe they're looking at their "form" of lifting to make sure they're doing it right. OR...maybe they are doing what you suggest and trying to find humorous clips to post. Either way it's not a big deal.

Not trying to defend those people, but being one of these "new" gym guys, there could be another explanation that makes sense...to them at least. May not be to your liking, but it is what it is.

5 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm big on gym etiquette...

Best gyms to work out in are military gyms... No one thinks their time is any more valuable than the next guy... When I was at Eglin the Navy EOD School was right next door to the main gym... Those guys were animals in the gym, but the absolute best to work out with. No wasted time or effort, and they helped everybody change out weights and get reps in...

First gym I joined after retirement was ok, but you'd have people trying to Bogart 3 or 4 machines/benches/racks at a time by putting towels on them... Their towels wound up on the floor...

YMCAs are the worst... Teenagers like to sit on equipment and BS... I was always polite, but everyday I was asking a group that were coffee klatching if they minded if I got a set in...

As far as the weight loss part, I always tell people you have to mix aerobic exercise in... Lifting by itself isn't going to do it...I prefer elliptical machines...30-40 minutes, then lift... 

Edited by IUFLA

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Don't have all the info I need to respond properly, but as a "new" gym old fart trying to get into shape, I started out with light weights too. And 5 months later, I've increased the weight, but not by a lot. I'm more interested in toning up than I'm in trying to bulk up. Some people prefer high amounts of reps, vs heavier weight. According to trainers at my gym, the results are the same, only more reps take a toll on your joints, vs heavier weight and less reps.

Exercise is no guarantee for losing weight. If you exercise and eat like a fool, you'll still be fat (ask me how I know) Diet and exercise usually works better.

As far as the video recording goes, maybe they're looking at their "form" of lifting to make sure they're doing it right. OR...maybe they are doing what you suggest and trying to find humorous clips to post. Either way it's not a big deal.

Not trying to defend those people, but being one of these "new" gym guys, there could be another explanation that makes sense...to them at least. May not be to your liking, but it is what it is.

Fat is metaphorical for nothing is changing in your body, light, heavy, high or low reps.  And whoever they are sharing their videos with must be real winners.  If they are sharing them.  I think what irks me is the facade of taking your lifting so serious when you aren't getting stronger nor does your body look any different than it did when I started going back to the gym around Christmas.  Same few people.  And I'm not a heavy or serious lifter than wants the power racks all the time.  I'll do one Olympic lift every 3 days or so just for the physical,  mental, and hormonal benefits of it.  3 maybe 4 sets and I'm out.  I've been in military gyms, also used to love them.  Get down to business.   I've been to meat head gyms.  Also preferred it over this experience.   Must be a new generation.   I'm  a tweener about to turn 42.  

I'll add.  I don't think it's a form thing.  Shouldn't they have the form down pat now after 6 months of doing this?  If you've read this far you are entitled to full picture.  A few, not all, are barely dressed, unattractive to say the least, kinda grossing me out women.  I googled female power lifting in the USA and there are tons of articles about it being one of the fastest growing things for women.  There are a few that I see doing it and doing it well.  These few trying to be a gross version of an Instagram butt model aren't it.  

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm big on gym etiquette...

Best gyms to work out in are military gyms... No one thinks there time is any more valuable than the next guy... When I was at Eglin the Navy EOD School was right next door to the main gym... Those guys were animals in the gym, but the absolute best to work out with. No wasted time or effort, and they helped everybody change out weights and get reps in...

First gym I joined after retirement was ok, but you'd have people trying to Bogart 3 or 4 machines/benches/racks at a time by putting towels on them... Their towels wound up on the floor...

YMCAs are the worst... Teenagers like to sit on equipment and BS... I was always polite, but everyday I was asking a group that were coffee klatching if they minded if I got a set in...

As far as the weight loss part, I always tell people you have to mix aerobic exercise in... Lifting by itself isn't going to do it...I prefer elliptical machines...30-40 minutes, then lift... 

So yesterday,  I was looking for 35s.  Sort of obscure.  45s, 25s, and 10s everywhere.  I finally found a 2nd one behind 2 25s and a random 10 all on the same post.  So I take the 5 seconds out of my time to just very quickly fix the entire rack the way it should be.  I go do my set, look around as I'm catching my breath and this dude is now fixing all the weights on his rack near him. He got the nod of respect.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I've been in military gyms, also used to love them.  Get down to business. 

And that's the thing...Plus, courtesy is a must...No one wears their rank on their workout clothes...and as my first USAF watch sup so succinctly told me, the toes you're stepping on today, could indirectly be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow :)