Pet Peeves

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Hit the trifecta today and not in a good way. From winter of 2020 we've replaced AC, Furnace, and Water Heater. 

Furnace-bought and the following year had to replace capacitor

AC-Installed and worked great for one summer....had to replace

Water Heater-Bought two years ago and now no hot water. I'm hoping it's  something like a pilot light.

So here's my pet peeve. Shouldn't these be like 10-20 year purchases and be done with it? Now I'm chasing this stuff all over again.

Surprised no one asked. Is it the flux capacitor?😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Try re-lighting the pilot light tonite, yourself. Probably have to push in a knob to get the gas flowing again. Hold it in and light a match or hand held propane lighter and try to light pilot. Keep holding the gas knob in for 30 seconds if it lights, and release it slowly.

Could have just been an air pocket in your gas line. Doesn't take much to extinguish a pilot light.

If this works, I just saved you $100 service call. If it doesn't....the repair guy won't charge you any more.

Thanks very much for this. I wish I had as much confidence in stuff like that as you guys. I wouldn't want to blow up my hood so I'm thinking a service guy who knows his craft is the best option.

53 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks very much for this. I wish I had as much confidence in stuff like that as you guys. I wouldn't want to blow up my hood so I'm thinking a service guy who knows his craft is the best option.

My house is all electric.  You only have a pilot light if you have natural gas. So diagnosis depends on whether your water heater is electric or gas. 

18 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Hit the trifecta today and not in a good way. From winter of 2020 we've replaced AC, Furnace, and Water Heater. 

Furnace-bought and the following year had to replace capacitor

AC-Installed and worked great for one summer....had to replace

Water Heater-Bought two years ago and now no hot water. I'm hoping it's  something like a pilot light.

So here's my pet peeve. Shouldn't these be like 10-20 year purchases and be done with it? Now I'm chasing this stuff all over again.

Oh man, wish I would have gotten to you sooner.  Appel has earned my trust and many others on next door as well.  Their reviews are impeccable. My unit is 18 or 19 years old.  They have fixed me twice in three years for less than $200. They said, run it till it dies.  If we can keep fixing it for cheap we will but any day, week, month or year you will need to replace.

Did you get anything that qualified for federal tax rebate?

https://appelheat.com/?utm_source=2060+Digital&utm_medium=GBP&utm_campaign=GBP+

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Oh man, wish I would have gotten to you sooner.  Appel has earned my trust and many others on next door as well.  Their reviews are impeccable. My unit is 18 or 19 years old.  They have fixed me twice in three years for less than $200. They said, run it till it dies.  If we can keep fixing it for cheap we will but any day, week, month or year you will need to replace.

Did you get anything that qualified for federal tax rebate?

https://appelheat.com/?utm_source=2060+Digital&utm_medium=GBP&utm_campaign=GBP+

I'm using Appel. Coming out tomorrow. They cleaned up Summers mistakes on the cheap and installed our AC last year...and when it broke they came out same day and fixed it no cost. Won't use anyone else besides Appel ever again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm using Appel. Coming out tomorrow. They cleaned up Summers mistakes on the cheap and installed our AC last year...and when it broke they came out same day and fixed it no cost. Won't use anyone else besides Appel ever again. 

I just appreciate their honesty and they aren't in a hurry.  

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 8:12 PM, DWB said:

General rule of thumb...

Don't buy an appliance with all the bells and whistles, or the latest/greatest model. More stuff to go wrong, break, computer locks up, etc. Repairs on these are the most expensive.

I tend to buy the middle, to one step below middle (not the lowest) model of appliance without the bells and whistles. Have had very good luck for the most part on longevity for all types of appliances & water heaters.

But....did have an issue with a Whirlpool frig recently. 5 years old, and the main evaporator coil goes out. Repair guy wants $1500 to replace it and inspect the rest of the frig. (there isn't anything else on the frig except the compressor to inspect @!*!+!%) I bought the evap coil from Whirlpool (only $80 by the way) and a friend came down and helped me install it. Cost me an extra $4 for the can of refrigerant I had to add to the system. Been working great now for almost a year.

True, there is nothing more maddening that when the TV goes out on your gas range. :)

• Haha 2

On 8/9/2023 at 10:05 PM, mrflynn03 said:

@Seeking6

Did you get it fixed?

Keeping fingers crossed. We had a dirty thermocouple I think is what it's called? The room where our furnace and water heater is doesn't get much circulation so it could just be something we need to clean more.

Apparently they take weeks to get a new one so the guy gave it a good cleaning and we seem to be ok. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Nothing wrong with that!  My previous job was Friday, Saturday, and Sunday 6am to 6pm. 

Unfortunately they eliminated my position, but I'm on the hunt for another.

Yeah I remember really bad hours, worked all 3 shifts in each week one day 2 shifts in 24hrs but no overtime because one shift was considered the next day! On the good side I had essentially a 3 1/2 day weekend each week!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Yeah I remember really bad hours, worked all 3 shifts in each week one day 2 shifts in 24hrs but no overtime because one shift was considered the next day! On the good side I had essentially a 3 1/2 day weekend each week!

In ATC I worked 2 days (7 am-3 pm), 2 swings (3 pm-11 pm), and 2 mids (11 pm-7 am) with 2 days off for 15 years... You really only got 1 1/2 off because you slept the first day...

Your days off rotated... You hardly ever got a full weekend off...

And you worked a lot of holidays...

Last 5 years I got to be a day floater... 9-5... Good hours, but also the highest traffic levels, so you got your ass kicked a lot... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

In ATC I worked 2 days (7 am-3 pm, 2 swings (3 pm-11 pm), and 2 mids (11 pm-7 am) with 2 days off for 15 years... You really only got 1 1/2 off because you slept the first day...

Your days off rotated... You hardly ever got a full weekend off...

And you worked a lot of holidays...

Last 5 years I got to be a day floater... 9-5... Good hours, but also the highest traffic levels, so you got your ass kicked a lot... 

My first job out of college,  3 years, I worked swing shift. 2 weeks days, 2 weeks nights,  one week MTFRS, next week WT. 

Except that never happened because we had to cover other shifts vacancies.  

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 12:18 PM, HoosierFaithful said:

I work a hybrid schedule now and have a lot more flexibility but back when I punched a clock, I would vastly prefer 4 x 10 or 3 x 12.   Feels so much easier to push on a few more hours for the payoff of another day or two on the weekend. 

I've done 3 X 12 and I would do that more than anything.  I'm on the hunt for another position like that.  4 X 10 is great too.