Things that make you go hmmm...

Drroogh

Just got back from a 20 day cross-country road trip with the family.  Later this week, I'll post some stuff in the vacation thread.  But, I felt this belonged in this thread.  

Driving along I-10 in California between the Arizona State line and Los Angeles, I passed a sign that said 'Prison in Area.  Don't pick up hitch-hikers'.  Okay.  That's some good advice.

However, less than a quarter of mile later, there was a sign that said "Rest Area - Next Exit'. 

WTF?  They warn you about hitch-hikers who may be prison escapees and then they encourage you to pull off the road in that very same area by building a Rest Area?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Florida Gulf Coast has had an inordinate number of drownings this summer due to the vicious rip current there... Former Arkansas and Patriots QB Ryan Mallett died today in Destin...

We were just there last week. The riptide was so strong there were double red flags for 2 days... 10 people have drowned there in the past few weeks, including 2 father's saving their kids on Father's Day... So sad...

They put those red flags out there for a reason... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, DWB said:

This is the level of "skilled" craftsman these days.

My son the commercial construction manager said he got to a site and saw the two union electricians just sitting there. He asked them what the problem was and they said they couldn’t open the panel. After listening to them explain he walked over to the panel and grabbed the tab with the hole in it for a padlock and pushed it to the side and the panel popped open! Union electricians mind you.

10 hours ago, Drroogh said:

My son the commercial construction manager said he got to a site and saw the two union electricians just sitting there. He asked them what the problem was and they said they couldn’t open the panel. After listening to them explain he walked over to the panel and grabbed the tab with the hole in it for a padlock and pushed it to the side and the panel popped open! Union electricians mind you.

We exhibited at a trade show in Chicago several years back. During setting up our booth, we ran an extension cord to one of our pieces of equipment. Just before the show opened to the public, inspectors came around and noticed that we had that extension cord that they didn't "install". $125 fine since union electricians must perform all electrical "installs". 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

We exhibited at a trade show in Chicago several years back. During setting up our booth, we ran an extension cord to one of our pieces of equipment. Just before the show opened to the public, inspectors came around and noticed that we had that extension cord that they didn't "install". $125 fine since union electricians must perform all electrical "installs". 

Yeah I’m surprised my son didn’t get wrote up for opening the panel for them. Probably didn’t want word to get out!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

In a prior life I had the same thing happen to me setting up our booth at McCormick Place. Needed an extension, electricians took 3 hours to show up, and the place closed in 3½ for setups to be completed.

Totally out of whack.

58 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

My buddy does shows there all the time. The one he likes is basically a electronic tablet that you can rent from them to keep track of potential customers, other vendors,etc....that visit your booth. It costs $300 per day. My buddy said nope I'm all good I'll just use pen and paper.

Day 2 comes and all of sudden he's getting visitors from food people, electricians telling him this needs to be fixed or we'll fine you.

He knows darn well it's because he didn't sign up for the electric tablet. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My buddy does shows there all the time. The one he likes is basically a electronic tablet that you can rent from them to keep track of potential customers, other vendors,etc....that visit your booth. It costs $300 per day. My buddy said nope I'm all good I'll just use pen and paper.

Day 2 comes and all of sudden he's getting visitors from food people, electricians telling him this needs to be fixed or we'll fine you.

He knows darn well it's because he didn't sign up for the electric tablet. 

Tell him to NEVER vacuum his own carpet. That one will cost ya ! $$

Edited by Joe_Hoopsier
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

"Time Blindness"

"Time blindness is a difficulty with a perception of time, how much time is passed, how much time it's going to take to do something, and it can be quite impairing to people," says Stephanie Sarkis, a psychotherapist and author specializing in ADHD, anxiety and narcissistic abuse. "It is a real thing that's been researched."

I think I'd prescribe "repercussion glasses" 

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

"Time Blindness"

"Time blindness is a difficulty with a perception of time, how much time is passed, how much time it's going to take to do something, and it can be quite impairing to people," says Stephanie Sarkis, a psychotherapist and author specializing in ADHD, anxiety and narcissistic abuse. "It is a real thing that's been researched."

I think it's a 2-ton pile of horse-apples. Everybody is a frigging victim...makes me want to puke.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I often think that the medical profession makes up “conditions “ to justify their existence 

I always thought people involved in Psycology were some of the most messed up people! Seemed to me they tend over analyze themselves?

11 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

May father had a very successful system to get me to pay attention to 1) what I had to have done and 2) what time he would get home. I only had "time" Blindness once. 

My wife had a "time blindness" issue when we first got married. Until she scheduled her first doctor's appointment at the Scott AFB hospital...

She showed up 10 minutes after her scheduled appointment time. A Sgt told her she'd have to reschedule... She asked to see his supervisor, and a major tells her the same thing...The military doesn't play "time blindness." 

In the 17 years I was in after that, she was never late again 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

My wife had a "time blindness" issue when we first got married. Until she scheduled her first doctor's appointment at the Scott AFB hospital...

She showed up 10 minutes after her scheduled appointment time. A Sgt told her she'd have to reschedule... She asked to see his supervisor, and a major tells her the same thing...The military doesn't play "time blindness." 

In the 17 years I was in after that, she was never late again 🙂

Prettty dang funny how accountability can change a persons mind about things, isn't it. 

• Like 2

I know over in the baseball thread, roboumps are gaining steam, but what about robot servers at restaurants?

In most sit down restaurants, the service is fair to good still... But most of my recent fast food experience has left a LOT to be desired...

Apparently the restaurant in the cited article says it's a split on people's attitudes on "Plato."

I say bring on the automation... 

Edited by IUFLA