It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

DD said that 3 games was based on a 10% policy at the University.  I have no problem with CAM punishing him as long as he needs to send the message.  

I said this morning, cancel practice and see who shows up anyways and puts on work, then kick everyone else off the team.  But hey, we have to be gentle and coddle feelings.  

Definitely not an easy time to be a coach with “free agency” in college ball 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me if there is a change here would my list after talking to the top guys and they turn us down.

1) Chris Beard.

2) Thad Matt's.

3) John Bielien.

4) Keith Smart

5) Nate Oates

Beilen is solid, but would you take a 67 year old who allegedly made racist type comments?   No doubt he can coach, but may be a tough sell. 

i personally don’t see Beard leaving.  He makes more than Archie.  Oats would set the clock back IMO. 

If Matta is healthy, definitely a good conversation.  But why were his last few years down at O$U?   Did his health contribute to it?    

Smart would check a lot of boxes.  

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

Beilen is solid, but would you take a 67 year old who allegedly made racist type comments?   No doubt he can coach, but may be a tough sell. 

i personally don’t see Beard leaving.  He makes more than Archie.  Oats would set the clock back IMO. 

If Matta is healthy, definitely a good conversation.  But why were his last few years down at O$U?   Did his health contribute to it?    

Smart would check a lot of boxes.  

I don't think Beard leaves either.  I am just showing even if there is a change it no guarantee that it will be easy to find a good replacement.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think Beard leaves either.  I am just showing even if there is a change it no guarantee that it will be easy to find a good replacement.

Timing is tough too.  If a whale isn't available, you rolling it back.  It's by far the most likely that it's being rolled back regardless.  

Remember talking for like 2 or 3 years solid about CTC replacement?  I was actually shocked he got the one more year that he did.  But the conversation continued.  

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Timing is tough too.  If a whale isn't available, you rolling it back.  It's by far the most likely that it's being rolled back regardless.  

Remember talking for like 2 or 3 years solid about CTC replacement?  I was actually shocked he got the one more year that he did.  But the conversation continued.  

I just don't think that whale is out there.  I know Michigan historically they don't match IU but the last 25 years they are.  Until they hired Howard the rumor was that they were going to hire the Providence coach.

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't think that whale is out there.  I know Michigan historically they don't match IU but the last 25 years they are.  Until they hired Howard the rumor was that they were going to hire the Providence coach.

If IU plays the 3.5 game then you are correct.  History is not on the side of fans desires.  @0708 believes the big dogs would come off the porch if necessary.  Hopefully they aren't Celtics fans.  To act like he wouldn't listen to a 10 year 100 million offer is just false no matter how often it's repeated.  This is home.  

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

If IU plays the 3.5 game then you are correct.  History is not on the side of fans desires.  @0708 believes the big dogs would come off the porch if necessary.  Hopefully they aren't Celtics fans.  To act like he wouldn't listen to a 10 year 100 million offer is just false no matter how often it's repeated.  This is home.  

Maybe I’m crazy but wouldn’t it be good for everyone involved if a crazy contract like that was offered and if Stevens didn’t want it rejected in public?

It would show IU tried big time, it would show Celtics fans “never need to worry about IU ever,” it would show IU fans “stop dreaming about Stevens and focus on who’s hired,” it would show the administration WAS all in if they offered that much, it would seem like the positives would far out weigh the negatives but idk maybe I’m missing a lot.

6 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Maybe I’m crazy but wouldn’t it be good for everyone involved if a crazy contract like that was offered and if Stevens didn’t want it rejected in public?

It would show IU tried big time, it would show Celtics fans “never need to worry about IU ever,” it would show IU fans “stop dreaming about Stevens and focus on who’s hired,” it would show the administration WAS all in if they offered that much, it would seem like the positives would far out weigh the negatives but idk maybe I’m missing a lot.

There can be no try.  IU cannot afford another strike out.  They just can't.  He's obviously 1A 1B and 1C.  He's our Saban.  

After that for sure you don't play games, you offer 7 or 8 mil a year to a Beard or Drew and call it a day.  Or you try and be cute like IU does and bring Matta or Beilein back for 5ish.  

I won't be mad either way as long as I hear a leak that he was offered a hundo mil 

I truly believe coaches and players make basketball much more difficult than it really is. 

Yeah, ok, college basketball is faster and you are playing the best of the best alot of times. 

4 frickin years of crappy free throw shooting, missing layups and a below average 3 point shooting.

Maybe I'm old school, but 12-15 ft 45 degree mid range jumpers, free throws and hitting layups left and right is what my dad taught me. And it worked. But when I got to high school I was in that odd place where you dont have the ball handling skills and are to big and slow to play guard but just a few inches shy of being the big man.  

But I could at least put the damn ball in the basket. 

@5fouls, I relate to your username.  When I played I was 6'4" 250.  I would dang near foul out of every game trying to block shots and setting screens.  Not my fault tiny people bounced off me an met the floor. 

Scott Drew keeps looking better and better. That said might be hard to lure him away if they win a championship...but he has that program competing at a high level...not bad considering they aren’t anything close to a blue blood or basketball school. Indiana ties from his time at Valpo under his dad. Imo I feel more comfortable with him or Beard who have proven themselves in a tough tough b12 conference as opposed to Oats who hasn’t done it over time at Alabama or an unproven coach. 

Just my 2 cents...and it's literally worth that. Unless Dolson has some sort of deep dark secret conversation going on....Archie is our guy and will be our guy. I know 1 person who I consider has enough juice to at least know what the real folks with juice know....the plan is to stay the course. 

Personal opinion. This team has 8 conference games left and I'm still one of those believers that think/believe, etc...a very good stretch is coming. 

I said it after Texas. Said it after Purdue...and I'll say it again tonight. After the season. Evaluate. 

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I truly believe coaches and players make basketball much more difficult than it really is. 

Yeah, ok, college basketball is faster and you are playing the best of the best alot of times. 

4 frickin years of crappy free throw shooting, missing layups and a below average 3 point shooting.

Maybe I'm old school, but 12-15 ft 45 degree mid range jumpers, free throws and hitting layups left and right is what my dad taught me. And it worked. But when I got to high school I was in that odd place where you dont have the ball handling skills and are to big and slow to play guard but just a few inches shy of being the big man.  

But I could at least put the damn ball in the basket. 

@5fouls, I relate to your username.  When I played I was 6'4" 250.  I would dang near foul out of every game trying to block shots and setting screens.  Not my fault tiny people bounced of me an met the floor. 

Totally agree but some computer geeks brought in analytics to tell us that is the most inefficient shot.  My problem was that I was a really good shooter but not much use for a 5'8 shooting guard who can't play defense.  I see where [eople think the mid range game is bad but to me any open shot is a good shot and a good college player should hit the mid range shot at a 60% clip.  I know Cheaney, Henderson and Anderson scored a lot of points with the mid range jumper.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my 2 cents...and it's literally worth that. Unless Dolson has some sort of deep dark secret conversation going on....Archie is our guy and will be our guy. I know 1 person who I consider has enough juice to at least know what the real folks with juice know....the plan is to stay the course. 

Personal opinion. This team has 8 conference games left and I'm still one of those believers that think/believe, etc...a very good stretch is coming. 

I said it after Texas. Said it after Purdue...and I'll say it again tonight. After the season. Evaluate. 

As much as I am sick of losing I do think he will get 5 years because of so many combination of reasons. I see a good stretch of basketball coming too...unfortunately not enough all at once to  get us a win streak longer than 2. I want Archie to be the man because it would mean we have our guy and it’s close to happening here...but I’ve seen promising freshman under Archie before...only for them to sputter and never achieve their potential....for lots of reasons. 

4 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Typical media.  Like Doyel and DD.  Will blame Archie when things go bad. But when things are going well, its because the kids stepped up.  

Jumping on the “Archie Sucks” bandwagon is too easy and convenient.    

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Totally agree but some computer geeks brought in analytics to tell us that is the most inefficient shot.  My problem was that I was a really good shooter but not much use for a 5'8 shooting guard who can't play defense.  I see where [eople think the mid range game is bad but to me any open shot is a good shot and a good college player should hit the mid range shot at a 60% clip.  I know Cheaney, Henderson and Anderson scored a lot of points with the mid range jumper.

@dgambill, why you laughing?

@IU Scott, my dad played at Switz City in Green County from 75-79.  They didnt win alot of games but I watched him go 20 for 20 on free throws and he could drill that 45 mid range bank shot. He taught me everything I know. 

I mean, c'mon man. 1 free throw or a 100 free throws are free throws.  I expect no less than 75% from the line. 

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

As much as I am sick of losing I do think he will get 5 years because of so many combination of reasons. I see a good stretch of basketball coming too...unfortunately not enough all at once to  get us a win streak longer than 2. I want Archie to be the man because it would mean we have our guy and it’s close to happening here...but I’ve seen promising freshman under Archie before...only for them to sputter and never achieve their potential....for lots of reasons. 

And just imagine if McKinley Wright was allowed to come here like Archie wanted. I have to be careful in what I say sometimes. Times like this I wish Mile (God bless his soul) could chime in. 

Shoot...me as an average guy found out Glass hired a couple of people to get the goods on Wilson to make him accept his severance....and Glass did that with 6 weeks to go in the season. 

End of the day we are all frustrated. Extremely frustrated. I bi--- at great posters on here during games or post games and I'm embarrassed for what I say. We all want the same thing. Just wish some of the academia/hierarchy at IU wanted the same. 

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

To me we have to win Sunday to have any chance to make the tournament.  We  then have to win at NW which is doable.  We have to win the home games against MSU and Minnesota.  So that is 4 games and to me we have to win at least 6 to have a chance.

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@dgambill, why you laughing?

@IU Scott, my dad played at Switz City in Green County from 75-79.  They didnt win alot of games but I watched him go 20 for 20 on free throws and he could drill that 45 mid range bank shot. He taught me everything I know. 

I mean, c'mon man. 1 year ago or a 100 free throws are free throws.  I expect no less than 75% from the line. 

After 9th grade and not making the high school team I had to play intramurals and eventually church league.  I know it is not the same but I still really enjoyed playing and the more I played against better competition the better I got.  I always felt with the way I shot the ball if I was at least 6'4 I would have made the high school team and maybe small college.  I also needed to work on my game a lot more than I did but back then you didn't just play one sport.  In the 5th and 6th grade I won the local free throw shooting contest hitting 19-25 but lost in the county by 1 while shooting 185-25

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well, Cheaney didn't become the Big 10 scoring leader by passing up shots. And Anderson pretty much mastered that mid range jumper and the 92 run would have ended early without him.  One of my favorites.  What I remember most about Henderson is him getting an offensive rebound and slamming in home. Man he could dunk. 

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

Well, Cheaney didn't become the Big 10 scoring leader by passing up shots. And Anderson pretty much mastered that mid range jumper and the 92 run would have ended early without.  What I remember most about Henderson is him getting an offensive rebound and slamming in home. Man he could dunk. 

Henderson had a really good 15 foot baseline shot

Archived