It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@dgambill, why you laughing?

@IU Scott, my dad played at Switz City in Green County from 75-79.  They didnt win alot of games but I watched him go 20 for 20 on free throws and he could drill that 45 mid range bank shot. He taught me everything I know. 

I mean, c'mon man. 1 free throw or a 100 free throws are free throws.  I expect no less than 75% from the line. 

Because your 5fouls joke my friend. Also I could picture you so easily when you described your play! I’ve played with or against several guys like you in HS...guys that were perhaps more inclined to belong on the gridiron then the court....loved you on our team hated you on the opposing lol. Every team needed a bruiser like you. Love it!

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Because your 5fouls joke my friend. Also I could picture you so easily when you described your play! I’ve played with or against several guys like you in HS...guys that were perhaps more inclined to belong on the gridiron then the court....loved you on our team hated you on the opposing lol. Every team needed a bruiser like you. Love it!

Just what I was thinkin.  Yeah, I played left guard in Football.  Couldn't run a mile to safe my life but was pretty quick off the line. In basketball I was pretty much an offensive lineman running around a basketball court. 

I will never forget this play though. 

JV basketball game, playing Tell City, their point guard was about 5'9" and very rotund.

I grew up tall and early so I was about 6'2" at the time. My assignment was to guard and smother this kid. 

So, my chance came, stole the ball at the 3 point line drove 3/4 of the floor and layed it up.  2 points.  My favorite basketball moment ever. 

33 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@dgambill, why you laughing?

@IU Scott, my dad played at Switz City in Green County from 75-79.  They didnt win alot of games but I watched him go 20 for 20 on free throws and he could drill that 45 mid range bank shot. He taught me everything I know. 

I mean, c'mon man. 1 free throw or a 100 free throws are free throws.  I expect no less than 75% from the line. 

Oh and I absolutely believe your story about your dad. Grew up near there and basketball fundamentals were ingrained from birth. They might not have won a ton of games when he was there but shortly after L&M had probably one of the best small town teams the state has seen. Later the Graves boys had several great years at WRV...lot of talented ball played in that area. I don’t know where the fundamentals have gone...are we misremembering IU shooting teams of the past in fond memory or have we really fallen that far under Archie?

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh and I absolutely believe your story about your dad. Grew up near there and basketball fundamentals were ingrained from birth. They might not have won a ton of games when he was there but shortly after L&M had probably one of the best small town teams the state has seen. Later the Graves boys had several great years at WRV...lot of talented ball played in that area. I don’t know where the fundamentals have gone...are we misremembering IU shooting teams of the past in fond memory or have we really fallen that far under Archie?

If L&M wont that State Championship class basketball wouldn't exist. 

I live in Loogootee, and a few years after L&M. I cant remember the exact year but I'm thinking 92, a WC team who had only won 2 game beat an undefeated Loogootee team. If Loogootee wont that year, no Class basketball.  But that 85 L&M team was legit. My dad told me all about it because he refereed some of the games. 

Jeff olyphant went to iu and Patterson went to PUke

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

There can be no try.  IU cannot afford another strike out.  They just can't.  He's obviously 1A 1B and 1C.  He's our Saban.  

After that for sure you don't play games, you offer 7 or 8 mil a year to a Beard or Drew and call it a day.  Or you try and be cute like IU does and bring Matta or Beilein back for 5ish.  

I won't be mad either way as long as I hear a leak that he was offered a hundo mil 

I agree I’m just saying hypothetically what bad would come from either side flat out saying “IU offered and Brad said no.” What’s the down side PR wise for either side?

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

I agree I’m just saying hypothetically what bad would come from either side flat out saying “IU offered and Brad said no.” What’s the down side PR wise for either side?

No downside...heck Brad probably turn it into another contract extension for more money from Boston. That said I don’t ever seeing him returning to college ball. He does well in the nba game and able to be with his family more. Even if he leaves Boston he will get more jobs in the nba. Unless IU is his dream job I just don’t see it.

There are other fish in the sea. Lots of coaches can do what Archie has done. Be pretty hard to be less than mediocre at IU. 

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I played against AJ.  I think it was his brother Matthew Graves who was on Butler's staff at the time. But I played with a guy in high school, Drew Striecher, who was a walk on,on  the team that made the sweet 16, before the grave brothers made 2 runs for a championship.  

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No downside...heck Brad probably turn it into another contract extension for more money from Boston. That said I don’t ever seeing him returning to college ball. He does well in the nba game and able to be with his family more. Even if he leaves Boston he will get more jobs in the nba. Unless IU is his dream job I just don’t see it.

There are other fish in the sea. Lots of coaches can do what Archie has done. Be pretty hard to be less than mediocre at IU. 

Couldn’t agree more.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

I guess the only downside is we wind up with the next up and coming mid major coach for 3.2 mil.  Either go big or hold.  

We have to find a few more interior guys but I think next year will be better.  Pounding the ball to your big man only wins games when your big man shoots wells and passes out of double teams well.  Ours does neither but he has really high usage.  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I guess the only downside is we wind up with the next up and coming mid major coach for 3.2 mil.  Either go big or hold.  

We have to find a few more interior guys but I think next year will be better.  Pounding the ball to your big man only wins games when your big man shoots wells and passes out of double teams well.  Ours does neither but he has really high usage.  

You mean bigs that can shoot from 15 ft.?

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my 2 cents...and it's literally worth that. Unless Dolson has some sort of deep dark secret conversation going on....Archie is our guy and will be our guy. I know 1 person who I consider has enough juice to at least know what the real folks with juice know....the plan is to stay the course. 

Personal opinion. This team has 8 conference games left and I'm still one of those believers that think/believe, etc...a very good stretch is coming. 

I said it after Texas. Said it after Purdue...and I'll say it again tonight. After the season. Evaluate. 

One thing you have to realize that no matter what Dolson is thinking now, he's not firing him midseason, so he has to make every message to anyone, including Archie that he supports Archie.  You don't portray anything else right now no matter if you have doubt or not.  

6 hours ago, rico said:

You mean bigs that can shoot from 15 ft.?

Sure.  Doesn't have to be a Garza.  I was happy to see TJD hit a few jumpers.  That certainly wasn't the disappointing part.  It was the shying away from contact 90% of the time.  If we play them again IU should put a compilation video together of every foul Kofi has made all year for TJD to study.  Zero reason you can't have him on the bench in the first 2 possessions of the game.  

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

To me we have to win Sunday to have any chance to make the tournament.  We  then have to win at NW which is doable.  We have to win the home games against MSU and Minnesota.  So that is 4 games and to me we have to win at least 6 to have a chance.

If Sunday is a must win, I think we better prepare for trouble.  And we need to win 6 more?  Is that what you mean?  If so, gulp!

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

If L&M wont that State Championship class basketball wouldn't exist. 

I live in Loogootee, and a few years after L&M. I cant remember the exact year but I'm thinking 92, a WC team who had only won 2 game beat an undefeated Loogootee team. If Loogootee wont that year, no Class basketball.  But that 85 L&M team was legit. My dad told me all about it because he refereed some of the games. 

Jeff olyphant went to iu and Patterson went to PUke

I coached in that area for a few years during the Matthew Graves HS days at WRV.  Ollie from Hoosiers played at L&M and I had his son in class. Ollie was a good player. Played some golf with Jeff and some others at the Phil Harris golf course a time or 2

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

If Sunday is a must win, I think we better prepare for trouble.  And we need to win 6 more?  Is that what you mean?  If so, gulp!

I am hoping that Iowa schedule will help us Sunday.  They played Saturday or Sunday then Tuesday and they play tonight before playing us Sunday at noon.

11 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think we kind of match up well with them too.

Our defense should be locked in. If we give great effort like last time we can beat them. They are not overalls athletic at all...we shouldn’t be losing contact with our man or being at such a physical disadvantage like say we may face when we see Michigan for example. I look at Iowa and Wisconsin very much the same. They are probanly the most unathletic teams in the conference but usually well coached, hard nosed, and fundamentally sound. Obviously Iowa also can shoot lights out. We give a great defensive effort and knock down a few more 3s and free throws than normal and we can get them. 

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They say it is not who you play sometimes but when you play them.  like last night I knew the Pacers had little chance to win because they played the night before and the Bucks didn't

Agreed...coming off a tough game or recent game, travel, or just a team that is reeling vs on that is on a roll sometimes. Like I’d love to catch Michigan after their long layoff.  Helps Iowa is at home and they have to travel.

Archie and the team has got to be feeling the pressure! 
I am no coach, but I can’t see the improvements. 
Turnovers are better but not great yet! Shooting comes and goes still miss a lot of stuff around the rim. The offense lacks positive movements in crunch time. 
Miss opportunity after opportunity to put games away! 
not just this year for the last decade. We paid Archie a lot of money to fix that so far it not improved at all. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Let's just see if all this fire the coach talk impacts UK recruiting like it supposedly does for IU

To me it appears there recruiting is already fallen off.  They still get really good recruits but they are not getting many top 10 players any longer.

Archived