Are You Ready For Some Fantasy Football - HSN Style

47 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You should absolutely do both of those things. 

If I was actually going up against an opponent in some sort of 'consolation bracket, I probably would.  But, it appears I'm up against 'Bye' for the duration of the season.  In that case, I don't want to potentially influence the playoff race.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

You know what's really hard?  Looking at my teams and realizing my defense this week in one of my leagues is  New Orleans (against Tampa Bay).  

The competitor in me really, really, wants to go to the waiver wire and grab a new one so I get the best score possible even though I'm eliminated, but that's not fair to those of you in the playoffs.

And, I have Myles Gaskin likely coming off the Covid list in both leagues, and I would love to put him in my lineup for his game against the Jets.  But, in one of the leagues, he's on IR and I would have to drop someone to free up the roster spot.  That doesn't seem like the right thing to do either.  

Tough one for sure and I never know what the right answer is. Sometimes I feel like teams who don't make playoffs should just stand down...but sometimes I feel like make your roster the best it can be and if somebody who is in playoffs didn't pick up a guy that's on them.

Not that my opinion counts much but I'd say make your team the best it can be. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Tough one for sure and I never know what the right answer is. Sometimes I feel like teams who don't make playoffs should just stand down...but sometimes I feel like make your roster the best it can be and if somebody who is in playoffs didn't pick up a guy that's on them.

Not that my opinion counts much but I'd say make your team the best it can be. 

Are we doing keepers for next year? If so then I understand why somebody may try to grab a guy that could be a value keeper but other than that I've never been adding guys after I'm out of the playoffs season is over.

• Like 3

Why keep playing when you can't win anything? If I don't make the playoffs this week then I'm done with that league. I don't play consolation leagues...I think the rosters should be locked for those not in the playoffs. It would suck for people to effect the ultimate winner by dropping good players or taking top waiver picks from those trying to finish the league. jmo

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Are we doing keepers for next year? If so then I understand why somebody may try to grab a guy that could be a value keeper but other than that I've never been adding guys after I'm out of the playoffs season is over.

Don't think so on keepers. I personally would never add people but I also don't have a problem with someone who does. How's that for a non answer haha..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

You know what's really hard?  Looking at my teams and realizing my defense this week in one of my leagues is  New Orleans (against Tampa Bay).  

The competitor in me really, really, wants to go to the waiver wire and grab a new one so I get the best score possible even though I'm eliminated, but that's not fair to those of you in the playoffs.

And, I have Myles Gaskin likely coming off the Covid list in both leagues, and I would love to put him in my lineup for his game against the Jets.  But, in one of the leagues, he's on IR and I would have to drop someone to free up the roster spot.  That doesn't seem like the right thing to do either.  

I see no problem in competing until the end. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

In our HSN league...

Injuries to:

Hurts 

A Jones

Chubb

Darrell Henderson 

Waller

Elijah Moore

Michael Thomas

have put a damper on my post season hopes lol just can't make this stuff up. Oh and Pollard. 

I think everyone has had something like that happen at some point or other all season including now...I can't imagine if everyone listed all the guys that have been hurt this year. Crazy. I've had CMC, Henry, Gronk, AB, Sanders, and Mitchell miss multiple weeks if not most the season...and I think I'm one of the people who has had one of the healthiest teams.

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I always drop and pick guys up, regardless. I wouldn't look at it like "it's not fair" or whatever. If he wants one of those players, he should go get them. I have no issue with it. 

Am I missing something. He is not competing against anyone. There is NO opponent...so you aren't even playing. Why would you pick up guys when you aren't even facing anyone. I suppose if your in a consulation game...and things like that matter to you....so be it. Any custom leagues I've been in do not have consulation brackets. Winners keep playing....losers go home. 

Just now, dgambill said:

I think everyone has had something like that happen at some point or other all season including now...I can't imagine if everyone listed all the guys that have been hurt this year. Crazy. I've had CMC, Henry, Gronk, AB, Sanders, and Mitchell miss multiple weeks if not most the season...and I think I'm one of the people who has had one of the healthiest teams.

Mine are all right now lol.. and the last two weeks. I just wouldn't draft CMC or Gronk or AB. They are either injured or AB is just out doing AB stuff. 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Am I missing something. He is not competing against anyone. There is NO opponent...so you aren't even playing. Why would you pick up guys when you aren't even facing anyone. I suppose if your in a consulation game...and things like that matter to you....so be it. Any custom leagues I've been in do not have consulation brackets. Winners keep playing....losers go home. 

Why does the bye matter? If you want them on your team, pick them up. It's that simple imo. Zero chance I'd worry if someone whines about that, it's fantasy football. I don't get why anyone would be bothered by that. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

In our HSN league...

Injuries to:

Hurts 

A Jones

Chubb

Darrell Henderson 

Waller

Elijah Moore

Michael Thomas

have put a damper on my post season hopes lol just can't make this stuff up. Oh and Pollard. 

I'm going to have to do a deep dive into McVay's idiolect or coach speak....he keeps saying Michel when asked about RB situation. Henderson was struggling a bit before his injury too. Wish I had a read on that situation better. Have Michel in 2 of my $ leagues and don't know what to do.

One money league roster has AJ Brown and McLaurin....I've pulled every trick I know of just to make Final 4. I think I'm cooked this week unless Kelce and Williams can go off tonight.

Good luck to everyone!

• Like 1

Mine are all right now lol.. and the last two weeks. I just wouldn't draft CMC or Gronk or AB. They are either injured or AB is just out doing AB stuff. 

Guess I wouldn't draft Michael Thomas....he was on the IR to start the season and didn't finish last year either. Nor do I draft running qbs...because they have the tendency to get hurt or pile up little injuries over the course of the season.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why does the bye matter? If you want them on your team, pick them up. It's that simple imo. Zero chance I'd worry if someone whines about that, it's fantasy football. I don't get why anyone would be bothered by that. 

I don't care....but he has a bye the rest of the year is what he said. At least that is how I read it. Meaning he has no more opponents the rest of the year. Why would he need to keep messing on the waiver wire...the season is over for him.

Just now, dgambill said:

I don't care....but he has a bye the rest of the year is what he said. At least that is how I read it. Meaning he has no more opponents the rest of the year. Why would he need to keep messing on the waiver wire...the season is over for him.

Because fantasy is fun lol It's legitimately fun putting a team together each week. 

• Like 2

Because fantasy is fun lol It's legitimately fun putting a team together each week. 

Agree with that. Not sure what is fun about putting a team together when you are NOT competing against someone or something. He can do what he likes...no worries...I just didn't understand messing with the player pool when you are no longer playing or facing anyone or competing. At this point there is little chance someone is on the wire that would effect the outcomes of the playoffs but with COVID etc a lot of crazier stuff has happened. I know all leagues are different but I've not known it to be a regular practice to let teams who are eliminated to keep playing and have the ability to possibly effect the outcome of the playoffs. If the league he is talking about has a consulation bracket...while I don't support that...my opinion doesn't matter...and I suppose if he wants to keep playing and win the losers bracket then hey...have fun! That wasn't how I read his post though. The post said he has a bye the rest of the season...so what would be the point with continue messing with players if you are no longer competing. Maybe I missunderstood and if I did...my apologies y'all!

28 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Why keep playing when you can't win anything? If I don't make the playoffs this week then I'm done with that league. I don't play consolation leagues...I think the rosters should be locked for those not in the playoffs. It would suck for people to effect the ultimate winner by dropping good players or taking top waiver picks from those trying to finish the league. jmo

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

@btownqbhit the nail on the head with why the I 'want' to keep playing.  @dgambill has captured why I won't change my roster.  I do not want to impact the playoff race.  Even rthough I really, really don't want to play New Orleans 'D' this week.  

That said, I would still enjoy scoring as many points as possible, so I will start and sit guys already on my roster based on matchups.  Thankfully, in one of my HSN leagues, I had picked up a 2nd defense last week before I was eliminated, so I do not have to start the Chargers against the Chiefs.  I already have the Bills to slide into the starting position.

But, the whole concept of stop trying to compete is what ruins fantasy football to begin with.  People with that mentality often stop completing during the regular season, and thus gifting victories to those that play them late in the season.  That can impact standings and playoff spots much more than someone who continues to play after being eliminated.

I would much rather have a league full of people that competed until the bitter end as opposed to having even one or two that quit during the regular season.

• Like 5