'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I'd think they would...But, as @mrflynn03and @go_iu_bbhave said, if the accuser wants the case dropped, then my bet would be on counselling at the very minimum and he keeps his job...Physical evidence is going to be big here...

If he is retained, it's going to be a tough sell to the mommas of a lot of recruits.  They aren't going to want ther sons to play for someone with that type of accusation.  

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If he is retained, it's going to be a tough sell to the mommas of a lot of recruits.  They aren't going to want ther sons to play for someone with that type of accusation.  

My Dad told me long ago that reputation is something that can take a lifetime to build, and 2 minutes to destroy...

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Physical evidence is going to be big here...

On the subject of physical evidence.  If the victim is a woman and pictures surface that show bruising or other evidence that what is alleged actuslly happened, even if the charges are reduced or dropped, Texas cant retain him under any circumstances.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

Sounds like it was a woman 😡😡😡

39041BBB-76B3-4AE1-94D3-4F495949AC4E.jpeg

Just saw a report from Travis County Sherrif's dept that bond was set at $10,000. I find it hard to believe he's still in jail. (not saying he isn't, this just seems weird).

Edited by DWB

32 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

On the subject of physical evidence.  If the victim is a woman and pictures surface that show bruising or other evidence that what is alleged actuslly happened, even if the charges are reduced or dropped, Texas cant retain him under any circumstances.  

I don't think it takes anywhere near that much. If the victim was anything other than a grown man who was the first to act violently (against Beard or others), then Beard is gone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Beard's attorney, Perry Minton, told the Austin American-Statesman that Beard "is 100% innocent of these charges."

"He should never have been arrested," Minton told the paper. "The complainant wants him released immediately and all charges dismissed. It is truly inconceivable."

I had a friend at Purdue(I know) , anyway he was riding a bike on campus and a guy hit him. Guy got  out and started yelling obsenities about the damage to his car and drove off. When he reported the incident to campus police they highly suggested he didn't press charges. Turns out the guy was a football player. And this was in the early 70's. As already mentioned dropping the charges is not uncommon.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I had a friend at Purdue(I know) , anyway he was riding a bike on campus and a guy hit him. Guy got  out and started yelling obsenities about the damage to his car and drove off. When he reported the incident to campus police they highly suggested he didn't press charges. Turns out the guy was a football player. And this was in the early 70's. As already mentioned dropping the charges is not uncommon.

The media and the law used to protect athletes and celebrities...

Those days are long gone, and rightfully so... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I'm only saying this for conversation. You'd be surprised what spins with recruits. Maybe some would be turned off....but I'll also say some parents who have been victims of false reports or false imprisonments, etc....or shady stuff by the man would actually send rather send their kid to a coach who has been through the same. 

Don't know all the details yet. I know when there's zero cooperating witnesses charges will be dismissed unless you have an overzealous prosecutor who wants to be unemployed soon. 

Either way. Bad look but he isn't going anywhere.

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Beard's attorney, Perry Minton, told the Austin American-Statesman that Beard "is 100% innocent of these charges."

"He should never have been arrested," Minton told the paper. "The complainant wants him released immediately and all charges dismissed. It is truly inconceivable."

If that's true why has there now been a restraining order put out?

There is a protective order active until at least Feb. 10, 2023, the terms of which prevent Beard from being within 200 yards of the alleged victim or the residence at which the 9-1-1 call was made. Beard is also not allowed to carry a firearm at this time. Additionally, while Beard is permitted to communicate with the complainant in the case, he's strictly prohibited from doing so in any type of threatening or intimidating manner.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

There is a protective order active until at least Feb. 10, 2023, the terms of which prevent Beard from being within 200 yards of the alleged victim or the residence at which the 9-1-1 call was made. Beard is also not allowed to carry a firearm at this time. Additionally, while Beard is permitted to communicate with the complainant in the case, he's strictly prohibited from doing so in any type of threatening or intimidating manner.

Somebody has at least part of the story wrong...

"Beard is permitted to communicate with the alleged victim in a non-threatening manner, must stay 200 yards away from the residence where police were called and was told he can not possess a firearm."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35237963/texas-basketball-coach-chris-beard-arrested-assault-charge 

I'm not sure which is true... 

Edited by IUFLA

11 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Do you know if the restraining order has to be requested by the victim or if a restraining order is something the DA automatically asks for with this charge?

So a little clarity...

This order, which will be in effect until Feb. 10, 2023, prohibits Beard from: communicating with her or members of her household or family in a threatening or harassing manner; going within 200 yards of 1901 Vista Lane; and carrying a firearm or ammunition. He is also required to stay at least 200 yards away from the alleged victim.

https://www.chron.com/sports/college/article/texas-basketball-chris-beard-arrest-17647946.php

So he CAN communicate with her, just can't be within 200 yards of her physically... 

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm only saying this for conversation. You'd be surprised what spins with recruits. Maybe some would be turned off....but I'll also say some parents who have been victims of false reports or false imprisonments, etc....or shady stuff by the man would actually send rather send their kid to a coach who has been through the same. 

Don't know all the details yet. I know when there's zero cooperating witnesses charges will be dismissed unless you have an overzealous prosecutor who wants to be unemployed soon. 

Either way. Bad look but he isn't going anywhere.

I don't know about any of that. If a woman is the victim, and it sounds like that's the case, he better have one hell of a story if he wants to keep his job. He probably won't go to jail, I wouldn't be surprised if he's never even charged, but he will lose his job if a woman called the police because he was choking her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I remember when Mike Davis suspended Donald Perry.  What I heard from people close to the program was Perry started a fight and nearly killed a guy at a frat party.  He was suspended but Davis didn't boot him.

Texas law... 

How can I request an Emergency Protective Order?

An emergency protective order (EPO) is available only at the time of an arrest for a crime involving family violence or sexual assault. It is temporary and emergency in nature and cannot be extended.

The EPO can be requested in the following ways: 

By the victim of the alleged family violence offense;

By a guardian of the victim;

By an attorney representing the state; and/or 

By a peace officer.

The court may also issue the order on its own motion and, in certain circumstances, the order will be mandated by law

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I don't know about any of that. If a woman is the victim, and it sounds like that's the case, he better have one hell of a story if he wants to keep his job. He probably won't go to jail, I wouldn't be surprised if he's never even charged, but he will lose his job if a woman called the police because he was choking her.

Just a different world in some neighborhoods is all I'm saying. Our former Coach has made a heck of a career out of getting/going after kids in difficult circumstances, etc....I'm telling you for a narrow group of recruits and their parents it plays. Shoot Bobby Bowden made a career out of it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

It looks like Beard is divorced from the mother of his kids and is currently engaged to a former Texas Tech volleyball coach. 

She was a high school volleyball coach in the Lubbock area, according to the Red Raiders board. Was asked to resign or be fired for abusing the girls she was coaching (supposedly pulled one off the floor by her pony-tail.

Randi Trew is her name, and the Horns board says lots of people who know her in the Austin area consider her a bit of a psycho... 

• Like 1