'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not familiar with the categorization of felonies.  I have my own personal perceptions of felony rankings.

If I am comparing 'levels' of domestic abuse, for example, tossing someone against the wall in anger is a disgusting crime to commit and should be punished.  But choking someone?  That takes things to a whole new level.  It's a very personal and a very dangerous thing to do.  It combines both anger and madness.  

It would be something I myself, might do to someone that raped my daughter, but not something that is justifiable in a standard domestic dispute scenario.

There are levels of "choking" too though. Like pure on strangulation for an extended amount of time, or there is.... "someone put their hands on someones throat for a quick second"... please don't think this is me arguing any of it is ok. 

But there are differences. Or there at least could be differences. There are also cops that can exaggerate things, and charges can be lessened. Again, this is NOT me arguing that this is ok. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There are levels of "choking" too though. Like pure on strangulation for an extended amount of time, or there is.... "someone put their hands on someones throat for a quick second"... please don't think this is me arguing any of it is ok. 

But there are differences. Or there at least could be differences. There are also cops that can exaggerate things, and charges can be lessened. Again, this is NOT me arguing that this is ok. 

Agreed.  Hopefully, the facts in this case clearly define which this is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

For absolutely whatever it's worth.... someone has mentioned it was his daughter's bf. We shall see. 

That would be something that could change things in my mind. I can imagine scenarios where someone did something to my daughter against her will or hurt her and my hands end up around their neck. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not familiar with the categorization of felonies.  I have my own personal perceptions of felony rankings.

If I am comparing 'levels' of domestic abuse, for example, tossing someone against the wall in anger is a disgusting crime to commit and should be punished.  But choking someone?  That takes things to a whole new level.  It's a very personal and a very dangerous thing to do.  It combines both anger and madness.  

It would be something I myself, might do to someone that raped my daughter, but not something that is justifiable in a standard domestic dispute scenario.

The night my sister called the cops on my step-dad for the first time she claimed he hit my mom over the head with an end table. I watched him smash it on the floor. He did slap my mom though. 

My mom says he used to get drunk and beat on her. I don't know the truth because I didn't witness it firsthand. I don't fully trust either of them but I don't doubt he slapped her around more than we knew. 

My step-dad and I got into a few fights. Physical fights, bloody noses, black eyes. The last fight he attacked me and he got his hands around my neck. I stuck my thumb in his eye to get him off of me then proceeded to kick the shit out of him to the point he never bothered me again. 

We started fighting because I got too big to whip on and started fighting back. 

I am unfortunately very familiar with domestic abuse. I 100% agree with you on the choking. It's personal and violent and on another level.  If he really did choke someone then he deserves what he gets.

But just based on my experience, more details need to come out before passing judgment.  

BTW my step-dad never got convicted of anything. My mom always had the charges dropped. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

For absolutely whatever it's worth.... someone has mentioned it was his daughter's bf. We shall see. 

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That would be something that could change things in my mind. I can imagine scenarios where someone did something to my daughter against her will or hurt her and my hands end up around their neck. 

Agree.  Harming or threatening to harm one of his children could shift this to justifiable. The facts are still important though. 

If the boyfriend was in the process of  sexually assaulting his daughter, I fully support what he is accused of doing. 

On the flip side, if the bf simply called the daughter a b*tch you toss his ass on the street, but leave your hands off his neck.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You turn around, walk out of the room, get a hotel room for a night (he has the money) or bunk with an assistant, file for divorce the next day, and be perfectly honest to anyone that asks you why you did file.

I've always held this belief, there is no woman worth going to prison over. 

Defending my wife being one of only 2 exceptions.  The other is retribution if she was assaulted and justice wasn't served. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

The night my sister called the cops on my step-dad for the first time she claimed he hit my mom over the head with an end table. I watched him smash it on the floor. He did slap my mom though. 

My mom says he used to get drunk and beat on her. I don't know the truth because I didn't witness it firsthand. I don't fully trust either of them but I don't doubt he slapped her around more than we knew. 

My step-dad and I got into a few fights. Physical fights, bloody noses, black eyes. The last fight he attacked me and he got his hands around my neck. I stuck my thumb in his eye to get him off of me then proceeded to kick the shit out of him to the point he never bothered me again. 

I am unfortunately very familiar with domestic abuse. I 100% agree with you on the choking. It's personal and violent and on another level.  If he really did choke someone then he deserves what he gets.

But just based on my experience, more details need to come out before passing judgment.  

BTW my step-dad never got convicted of anything. My mom always had the charges dropped. 

Sorry that you, your family and others like you have experienced terrible things like this. That sort of trauma is something that has the ability to perpetuate, and I hope that your past altercations were able to put an end to it once and for all.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Glad you seem to be overcoming!!

One of the things I've been happy about in life, is that my kids ended up with a step dad that they like! So thankful!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Glad you seem to be overcoming!!

One of the things I've been happy about in life, is that my kids ended up with a step dad that they like! So thankful!

One of the things I've had to learn in the last year is to talk about the things I've spent years burying and forgetting about. It seems to be helping. 

He wasn't always like that. When grandpa (his dad) died in 2005 he never really got over it. Even with all the crap there were still better days. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Agree.  Harming or threatening to harm one of his children could shift this to justifiable. The facts are still important though. 

If the boyfriend was in the process of  sexually assaulting his daughter, I fully support what he is accused of doing. 

On the flip side, if the bf simply called the daughter a b*tch you toss his ass on the street, but leave your hands off his neck.

100% agree, facts still matter. 

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

One of the things I've had to learn in the last year is to talk about the things I've spent years burying and forgetting about. It seems to be helping. 

He wasn't always like that. When grandpa (his dad) died in 2005 he never really got over it. Even with all the crap there were still better days. 

I had an abusive stepdad for a few years, and it was the same thing. He changed pretty suddenly and even then there were good times. Even s**theads typically don't act like s**theads all the time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Beard's attorney, Perry Minton, told the Austin American-Statesman that Beard "is 100% innocent of these charges."

"He should never have been arrested," Minton told the paper. "The complainant wants him released immediately and all charges dismissed. It is truly inconceivable."

"100% innocent of these charges" is a bold statement.  He better hope there are no pictures that show evidence of abuse.

That said, if you're Texas and the complainant does, in fact, drops charges, do you keep him suspended until you do an internal review?  You have to, dont you?  The police dont get called to a house at that time of night if 'nothing' happened.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

"100% innocent of these charges" is a bold statement.  He better hope there are no pictures that show evidence of abuse.

That said, if you're Texas and the complainant does, in fact, drops charges, do you keep him suspended until you do an internal review?  You have to, dont you?  The police dont get called to a house at that time of night if 'nothing' happened.

I'd think they would...But, as @mrflynn03and @go_iu_bbhave said, if the accuser wants the case dropped, then my bet would be on counselling at the very minimum and he keeps his job...Physical evidence is going to be big here...