2025 PF Trent Sisley

gnet550

14 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Got it.  Gabe Sularski from Benet.  6’5/6’6 wing.  Big recruit.  

https://hoosierillustrated.com/multiple-recruiting-targets-expected-to-visit-indiana-basketball-this-weekend/

Lanky lefty with a nice touch 

Average athleticism but solid length 

Will he grow into a SF?

Can’t have enough long wings who can create & shoot 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Indykev said:

Man I want to lock up our instate talent next year…take those kids and then add the best the portal has to offer from year to year and I think you can win a championship around teams like that. Indiana kids that will stay home and won’t transfer and establish a culture and add some portal magic to put us over the top.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Man I want to lock up our instate talent next year…take those kids and then add the best the portal has to offer from year to year and I think you can win a championship around teams like that. Indiana kids that will stay home and won’t transfer and establish a culture and add some portal magic to put us over the top.

This one is gone i'm afraid

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

How are y’all feeling about the recruitment?  I think it’ll end up being pretty tough for him to say no to IU but we shall see. 

This is strange to say, but....aside from top 25 level high school prospects, I'm not really that worried about it.  Why take a chance on a kid out of high school when you could get a proven player from the portal?

9 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

This is strange to say, but....aside from top 25 level high school prospects, I'm not really that worried about it.  Why take a chance on a kid out of high school when you could get a proven player from the portal?

You make a good point and it is interesting to see the difference in philosophy of our programs going forward.  I personally love how CMP is still building it through the HS ranks and supplementing through the portal with a Lance Jones for example.  I think a guy like Kanon Catchings would’ve been more heavily pursued an Illinois/IU pre-portal days for example. I do wonder how much different the portal will look after the COVID year goes away. 

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I agree with this to an extent, but I dont want to rebuild a roster of 6 guys from the portal every year. In state kids especially with the level of talent that Sisley has, are the type to build around and less likely to transfer generally speaking. In state/home connection, with PT, with $$$. No reason to go somewhere else. 

This year we have 3-4 starters from the portal. I think we hit homeruns, but I cant see that happening every year. Sisley and Sisley type players would bring a bit more stability. 

Yes you could say... what about CJ Gunn. And I would say... well Gallo came back to possibly come off the bench, and Leal came back for 5 minutes a game.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You make a good point and it is interesting to see the difference in philosophy of our programs going forward.  I personally love how CMP is still building it through the HS ranks and supplementing through the portal with a Lance Jones for example.  I think a guy like Kanon Catchings would’ve been more heavily pursued an Illinois/IU pre-portal days for example. I do wonder how much different the portal will look after the COVID year goes away. 

It will be interesting to see how much MP changes strategies throughout post ice cream boy.

51 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I agree with this to an extent, but I dont want to rebuild a roster of 6 guys from the portal every year. In state kids especially with the level of talent that Sisley has, are the type to build around and less likely to transfer generally speaking. In state/home connection, with PT, with $$$. No reason to go somewhere else. 

This year we have 3-4 starters from the portal. I think we hit homeruns, but I cant see that happening every year. Sisley and Sisley type players would bring a bit more stability. 

Yes you could say... what about CJ Gunn. And I would say... well Gallo came back to possibly come off the bench, and Leal came back for 5 minutes a game.

I don't expect to totally rebuild every year.  But unless you're looking at a sure-fire hit, if you're going to go with a kid's upside, why not focus on freshmen that enter the portal? True, they'd only have 3 years of eligibility vs 4, but you'd also have at least some actual knowledge of how their game translates at the college level. 

Not every kid that enters the portal is going to be a one-year mercenary, and we just landed a backcourt of two sophomores that could potentially play multiple years. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I don't expect to totally rebuild every year.  But unless you're looking at a sure-fire hit, if you're going to go with a kid's upside, why not focus on freshmen that enter the portal? True, they'd only have 3 years of eligibility vs 4, but you'd also have at least some actual knowledge of how their game translates at the college level. 

Not every kid that enters the portal is going to be a one-year mercenary, and we just landed a backcourt of two sophomores that could potentially play multiple years. 

I still want most of the team built through HS recruits. I think it is best to use the portal to shore up missing pieces and not build your team with portal players. I think it is easy to get portal players to come here when they know it is for a starting position. I think it is just easier to build your bench with young HS players who will be happy to come off the bench.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ledies22 said:

They are also getting a good amount to do that. Leal seems very smart and is probably using it for future real estate endeavors