2025 PF Trent Sisley

gnet550

9 hours ago, DC2345 said:

As of right now I think Sisley goes to Purdue while Mullens and Moreno go to IU. That said there's still time for things to play out. 

I hate to hear that on Sisley. I always assumed with some family ties and his location he’d be a strong IU lean…

9 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

The Robbie Hummel role of 15 years ago no longer exists in Purdue's offense. 

Sure it does, if Painter has a 4 with skills. Like Vince Edwards. 

Painter doesn’t really have an “offense”. He figures out the best way for a particular team to score points that season, and builds an offense around the strongest options. For example, in 2019, the offense was letting Edwards and Cline bomb away. 

If he gets Sisley, in my opinion it will be because Sisley wants to know who’s he’s with playing for the next 4 years, instead of playing with a rotating cast of portal guys. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

If Indiana hired a coach even close to Painters level, they'll clean up with in-state recruiting. Purdue has benefited from Indiana being down. It's not a coincidence. Painter would really struggle if he stopped landing these Indiana kids.

Purdue has historically landed lots of Indiana kids. Less so when RMK was in his prime obviously, but it’s a long list. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Sure it does, if Painter has a 4 with skills. Like Vince Edwards. 

Painter doesn’t really have an “offense”. He figures out the best way for a particular team to score points that season, and builds an offense around the strongest options. For example, in 2019, the offense was letting Edwards and Cline bomb away. 

If he gets Sisley, in my opinion it will be because Sisley wants to know who’s he’s with playing for the next 4 years, instead of playing with a rotating cast of portal guys. 

I think that’s fair and accurate synopsis of the situation. The only thing Painter doesn’t have a strong track record with is putting guys in the nba consistently the same way IU does…but I think if you are just looking at the program alone…and where you think you will play your best basketball and have the most success…hard to argue against Purdue at this point. Not only are we down but our coach is in his mid 60s and struggling…every coach in the B1G has to be selling kids on how long will Woody even last…will he be your coach for your whole collegiate career? Not likely at this point. Woody lasting 4 more years is almost nil….if his coaching doesn’t get him fired he will likely retire or slowing down such he will be looking to move on. His age and his program issues will start to work against our recruiting. 1 and done guys might be ok with it….but guys wanting to develop for 4 years have to seriously contemplate it. 

Woody was a stop gap…that gap is closing fast! If I had a kid that could play at that level today….id probably send the kid elsewhere and not IU….and if we wanted to stay in state and my kid wanted Purdue…I’d say go for it.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

The only thing Painter doesn’t have a strong track record with is putting guys in the nba consistently the same way IU does…but I think if you are just looking at the program alone…and where you think you will play your best basketball and have the most success…hard to argue against Purdue at this point

Agreed. Painter seems to lean toward kids that will be likely to stay 3-4 years, vs the NBA/OAD types. It’s great for continuity in the program but not so great for the “I’ll get you to the NBA pitch”. Hopefully Ivey and Edey can both prosper in the league, that will help. 

At the end of the day I still think Sisley is IUs to lose. I’d rather see him there than up north at Thug U…

15 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Agreed. Painter seems to lean toward kids that will be likely to stay 3-4 years, vs the NBA/OAD types. It’s great for continuity in the program but not so great for the “I’ll get you to the NBA pitch”. Hopefully Ivey and Edey can both prosper in the league, that will help. 

At the end of the day I still think Sisley is IUs to lose. I’d rather see him there than up north at Thug U…

You say lean that way? I’d say it’s been more forced that way. You think MM, Langford, Ware, MR…etc would ever end up at PU? 

17 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

I would rather have a coach who recruits to his system and build a culture. I know Painter has troubles in the tournament but I would rather have him as our coach. I am not a fan of the one and done players and building through the portal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would rather have a coach who recruits to his system and build a culture. I know Painter has troubles in the tournament but I would rather have him as our coach. I am not a fan of the one and done players and building through the portal.

Ok, @IU Scott, let me ask you this...

If Matt Painter had the same record/results at IU that he's had at Purdue, do you think he'd still be our coach? 

29 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

You say lean that way? I’d say it’s been more forced that way. You think MM, Langford, Ware, MR…etc would ever end up at PU? 

I think it’s a little of both tbh. I think early on Painter went for more of the higher-rated guys and missed (I’m thinking guys like Zeller and Dawson) without a great back-up plan and adjusted his approach a bit. I think he looks for great cultural fits and gets in on guys earlier than other schools do (think Kanon Catchings) and has them sold on Purdue before they blow up in the rankings. And I think he’s better about not wasting time on lost causes too. After Tyler Zeller said no, he didn’t waste any time recruiting Cody and knew it’d be a waste of time to recruit Langford. We’ll never be a program that spends big money in the transfer portal because Painter will use it to supplement/round out the roster not completely rebuild it like so many programs are doing these days. 

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If Matt Painter had the same record/results at IU that he's had at Purdue, do you think he'd still be our coach? 

From a Purdue fan’s perspective, my guess is IU would’ve let him go after his 2013 and 2014 seasons. I think they would’ve gotten antsy and pulled the plug. I think it’s clear now that those two years were an anomaly and far from the norm and it worked out that Purdue gave him the benefit of the doubt when he was going through his divorce. 

1 hour ago, Victobmyboy said:

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. Painter builds his rosters very purposefully. And he is constantly reevaluating and evolving his methods. 

EDIT: and CMP decided a long time ago that he was never going try to out-Kentucky Kentucky. 

Edited by Boiler Sam

39 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Probably not, but I rather have great regular seasons and maybe upset over 1 bad day. I would want more tournament success but would love to have a fun 4 months in the season.

2 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. Painter builds his rosters very purposefully. And he is constantly reevaluating and evolving his methods. 

Not laughing at you but at the vast contrasts in the fan bases and their opinions of their head coach.

Painter - Everything happens because he planned it and wanted it that way. He's got the basketball world on a string.

Woodson - He wipes his ass from back to front. That's wrong and he should be skewered. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Not laughing at you but at the vast contrasts in the fan bases and their opinions of their head coach.

Painter - Everything happens because he planned it and wanted it that way. He's got the basketball world on a string.

Woodson - He wipes his ass from back to front. That's wrong and he should be skewered. 

Just edited my post to add that he is not going to try to Out-Kentucky Kentucky. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

Do you blame Sisley with the awful scheme we play on both ends of the floor?? Sisley was a clear IU lean from the beginning but the product is so bad at IU right now you can’t blame him for looking elsewhere…this is on Woodson and staff

We run the same stuff most programs do. Purdue and IU run the same actions. We have no shooting. I know I say it a lot but zoom creates multiple shots. If you don’t hit any of them then it looks terrible. If you are a shooter and can defend then you are skilled and will thrive. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think it’s a little of both tbh. I think early on Painter went for more of the higher-rated guys and missed (I’m thinking guys like Zeller and Dawson) without a great back-up plan and adjusted his approach a bit. I think he looks for great cultural fits and gets in on guys earlier than other schools do (think Kanon Catchings) and has them sold on Purdue before they blow up in the rankings. And I think he’s better about not wasting time on lost causes too. After Tyler Zeller said no, he didn’t waste any time recruiting Cody and knew it’d be a waste of time to recruit Langford. We’ll never be a program that spends big money in the transfer portal because Painter will use it to supplement/round out the roster not completely rebuild it like so many programs are doing these days. 

Maybe but let’s be honest…Catchings is a legacy and wasn’t going anywhere else. Like I said you recruit who you might get and pu may win one eventually. I’m just saying he isn’t going to get 1-2 5*. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

From a Purdue fan’s perspective, my guess is IU would’ve let him go after his 2013 and 2014 seasons. I think they would’ve gotten antsy and pulled the plug. I think it’s clear now that those two years were an anomaly and far from the norm and it worked out that Purdue gave him the benefit of the doubt when he was going through his divorce. 

Archie happened. Crean was drying up. But I’ll tell you he would’ve been gone. Absolutely. To our detriment? Who knows. Couldn’t be any worse.