2025 PF Trent Sisley

gnet550

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Did you copy and paste that from Hammer and Rails? 😁

Yes, our history still matters...

Agree…but which history are you referring to? History to anyone say 45 and older or 40 and younger?  Because those are two different histories.  Those old enough might have the benefit of remembering what it was like 40 years ago when we hung the last one….but these kids…and probably their parents don’t. The history to them is well…far inferior to Purdue’s.  Spend more time off the boards and start talking to younger kids…and ones that were even brought up in an IU house and these kids will tell you….why dad…why uncle do you like IU…their terrible….and you bring up old dusty banners and watch their eyes roll back in their head and they say whatever and walk away…its like your grandpa telling you about how Army used to be a powerhouse football program….you roll your eyes at grandpa and say no body is going to Army anymore to play football. Great legacy…but not relevant in modern college football. That is IU…and I wish it would change but until we stop trying to relive the glory days and hire ties to Bob Knight and the sooner we quit looking for quick fixes and do the hard work of building a program the hard way the better.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agree…but which history are you referring to? History to anyone say 45 and older or 40 and younger?  Because those are two different histories.  Those old enough might have the benefit of remembering what it was like 40 years ago when we hung the last one….but these kids…and probably their parents don’t. The history to them is well…far inferior to Purdue’s.  Spend more time off the boards and start talking to younger kids…and ones that were even brought up in an IU house and these kids will tell you….why dad…why uncle do you like IU…their terrible….and you bring up old dusty banners and watch their eyes roll back in their head and they say whatever and walk away…its like your grandpa telling you about how Army used to be a powerhouse football program….you roll your eyes at grandpa and say no body is going to Army anymore to play football. Great legacy…but not relevant in modern college football. That is IU…and I wish it would change but until we stop trying to relive the glory days and hire ties to Bob Knight and the sooner we quit looking for quick fixes and do the hard work of building a program the hard way the better.

I don't remember Branch McCracken, but I still care about and know that time is part of our history, and therefore part of our program.  My boys are teenagers, with one heading off to IU in the fall, but they know about Bob Knight and are big IU fans.  So are most of their friends.  So, it matters.  But I would agree with you, the further we get away from it, and the fewer people who actually witnessed the glory days, the less it will matter.  We need to get those days back ASAP.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I live in Texas... You start talking to younger kids here about IU or Purdue they think "football" and "suck." 🙂

Just my opinion, but the "history" Purdue has made lately is being great in the preseason, but getting embarrassed by a double digit seed in the tournament...

Look, I do get it. It sucks when we lose twice to Purdue and have a mediocre (so far) year. But this is one of the things I think is insane... Puffing up Purdue and making it seems like we're far inferior... Well, our far inferior team kicked the crap out of them twice last year, and that's pretty recent history.

As for PUke not playing the NIL game, that's a misnomer too... As much as our interloping friends like to preen about and promote the purity of Painter and Purdue, Zach Edey didn't come back for "the glory of old PU." He got paid...

And if they don't up their NIL game in other areas, it'll eventually catch up with them... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I live in Texas... You start talking to younger kids here about IU or Purdue they think "football" and "suck." 🙂

Just my opinion, but the "history" Purdue has made lately is being great in the preseason, but getting embarrassed by a double digit seed in the tournament...

Look, I do get it. It sucks when we lose twice to Purdue and have a mediocre (so far) year. But this is one of the things I think I'd insane... Puffing up Purdue and making jh it seems like we're far inferior... Well, our far inferior team kicked the crap out of them twice last year, and that's pretty recent history.

As for PUke not playing the NIL game, that's a misnomer too... As much as our interloping friends like to preen about and promote the purity of Painter and Purdue, Zach Edey didn't come back for "the glory of old PU." He got paid...

And if they don't up their NIL game in other areas, it'll eventually catch up with them... 

You might be right….got nephews right now that live 30 mins from Bloomington and have grown up for 15-16 years in as pro IU household as it can get and been taken to games for 10 years and they’ve asked not to go to anymore as IU always loses anyways…they asked to go to Purdue game with their friends because it’s more fun to root for a good team. That’s what I hear in my very own family.  

Flip side to that I’ve got nieces that want to go to IU women’s games because they are excited about them winning. They don’t care one bit that IU women are historically a horrible program. So yes…we need to get back to our winning ways…because we have to win back support…win back these kids…and win back our legacy because at this point…it don’t matter as much as a hill of beans because we haven’t been relevant in the 21st century. IU basketball legacy lives only in a wiki page to most. Sure not on the basketball floor anymore.

Edited by dgambill

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

we haven’t been relevant in the 21st century.

In the immortal words of Eric "Otter" Stratton, "Point of parliamentary procedure!"

We DID go to the NC game in 2002... Purdue last went in, well, 1969 😁

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

In the immortal words of Eric "Otter" Stratton, "Point of parliamentary procedure!"

We DID go to the NC game in 2002... Purdue last went in, well, 1969 😁

Indeed…if your only measure is winning the NC then Purdue has fallen short…but since 2000 (so that includes our final four run) Purdue has 5 more NCAA tourney wins. Purdue has 507 wins since then….we have 464. Purdue I believe has now passed us on the all time wins list…so if success is also measured in wins and losses…well there is that. 

Edited by dgambill
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You might be right….got nephews right now that live 30 mins from Bloomington and have grown up for 15-16 years in as pro IU household as it can get and been taken to games for 10 years and they’ve asked not to go to anymore as IU always loses anyways…they asked to go to Purdue game with their friends because it’s more fun to root for a good team. That’s what I hear in my very own family.  

Flip side to that I’ve got nieces that want to go to IU women’s games because they are excited about them winning. They don’t care one bit that IU women are historically a horrible program. So yes…we need to get back to our winning ways…because we have to win back support…win back these kids…and win back our legacy because at this point…it don’t matter as much as a hill of beans because we haven’t been relevant in the 21st century. IU basketball legacy lives only in a wiki page to most. Sure not on the basketball floor anymore.

To me this is a generational thing and today's youth care more about who said s winning over rooting for a team. You see it in the pro where little kids in Indiana comes to see Seth Curry over rooting for the Pacers 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

if your only measure is winning the NC then Purdue has fallen short

Which is kinda the pinnacle of the sport and the overall reason you play, right?

Our history is skewered by our own hand. And we have Brand, Herbert, and others to thank for it... 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Which is kinda the pinnacle of the sport and the overall reason you play, right?

Our history is skewered by our own hand. And we have Brand, Herbert, and others to thank for it... 

Sure it’s one of the reasons but you also have the randomness of a single elimination tournament that can skew things. A lot of luck plays into it and obviously I wish we had more tournament success but we’re still a damn good program even with our tournament failures IMO. What’s wild to me is how differently Painter/Purdue would be viewed if the fluke UVA ending didn’t happen. Is he any different of a coach now because of the randomness that lost us that game? No but one Final Four under his belt would change the view of him drastically which is wild to me. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Look, I do get it. It sucks when we lose twice to Purdue and have a mediocre (so far) year. But this is one of the things I think is insane... Puffing up Purdue and making it seems like we're far inferior... Well, our far inferior team kicked the crap out of them twice last year, and that's pretty recent history.

To me, there’s a big difference between NIL opportunities for existing players versus using NIL to “buy” players. NIL isn’t supposed to be used to entice recruits/transfers to come to your school but there’s no way to police that. Purdue isn’t in the business of “buying” players and I don’t think that’ll change. Edey has certainly done well for himself no doubt about it. 

Not sure what you mean re “up their NIL game” in other areas? Our NIL is more than competitive. 

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

To me this is a generational thing and today's youth care more about who said s winning over rooting for a team. You see it in the pro where little kids in Indiana comes to see Seth Curry over rooting for the Pacers 

Yep perhaps….but it was happening when I was growing up too. Lots of 49er fans, Celtic/Laker fans, etc. even if it is more today that is all the more reason winning NOW matters. What we did 40 years ago?? It’s hard to convince kids why they should like a team/follow them or to say we have an advantage of where kids should want to go just because we won championships before their parents were even born. How long does it take before that history is just not relevant to modern basketball? Imo you get more than a generation away from success on that level it no longer means the same thing. It would be one thing if we are still winning 25-30 games a year and just coming up short (like our soccer team is still relevant despite it being over a decade since we last won it all. But 40 years?? Geez how long can we claim blue blood status if we can’t even make the tournament on a yearly basis….thats 68 teams for crying out loud.

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

To me, there’s a big difference between NIL opportunities for existing players versus using NIL to “buy” players. NIL isn’t supposed to be used to entice recruits/transfers to come to your school but there’s no way to police that. Purdue isn’t in the business of “buying” players and I don’t think that’ll change. Edey has certainly done well for himself no doubt about it. 

Not sure what you mean re “up their NIL game” in other areas? Our NIL is more than competitive. 

You do realize that inducement rules break antitrust rules right? That rule will soon be tied up with an injunction because of it. Don’t you think for a second Painter won’t use that advantage and may already have after the Pack incident. The big dogs now use two funds. One to attract and one to keep. The ncaa are stumbling idiots.  So you are against the rule because the NCAA told you to be. 

Edited by Victobmyboy

13 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Sure it’s one of the reasons but you also have the randomness of a single elimination tournament that can skew things. A lot of luck plays into it and obviously I wish we had more tournament success but we’re still a damn good program even with our tournament failures IMO. What’s wild to me is how differently Painter/Purdue would be viewed if the fluke UVA ending didn’t happen. Is he any different of a coach now because of the randomness that lost us that game? No but one Final Four under his belt would change the view of him drastically which is wild to me. 

Yeah…I don’t think it would change anything with “IU” fans….it would be viewed as luck. After all that was a good but not great Purdue team that basically went on the hottest shooting streak I think I’ve ever seen. You guys have had several teams better than that one and it would have made no one surprised if one of them made the final four. As far as nationally….Painter has put Purdue on the map and he is highly regarded as a top coach. Just 5-6 years ago I had folks down here in Florida that didn’t even know Purdue was in Indiana and now they think Purdue is the prime example/representation of Indiana basketball for the state.  Basically good ol Midwest boys that play hard, can really shoot the ball, and full of fundamentals. I’d say he is having a Mark Few effect. Mark Few hasn’t won a championship but he put Gonzaga basketball on the map and a destination for kids….and well respected coach for his success…just can’t get over the hump.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

so what's the difference between buying players to stay and buying players to join the program from somewhere else?  (other than the obvious of where they played the year before)

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kycarter88 said:

Soooo, where’s Sisley going? Must’ve chicken in the wrong thread 

I think the longer he waits the better it is for IU. Really think our recruits are very slow to commit because they are not 100% comfortable with where we are with the staff and program and want to wait and see. 

3 hours ago, Victobmyboy said:

You do realize that inducement rules break antitrust rules right? That rule will soon be tied up with an injunction because of it. Don’t you think for a second Painter won’t use that advantage and may already have after the Pack incident. The big dogs now use two funds. One to attract and one to keep. The ncaa are stumbling idiots.  So you are against the rule because the NCAA told you to be. 

Doesn’t a kid wanting money up front instead of hearing about school or culture tell you all you need to know?

There are plenty of kids who want to play in the Big Ten for a winning program with solid NIL and get a great degree 

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

so what's the difference between buying players to stay and buying players to join the program from somewhere else?  (other than the obvious of where they played the year before)

There isn't ... And that sounds you hear is Purdue loosening their chastity belts... 

1 hour ago, kycarter88 said:

Soooo, where’s Sisley going? Must’ve chicken in the wrong thread 

I don't have any insider information, but if he wants to stay local there's Hoosier Land Pizza & Wings right down the road from the high school, offering 8, 16, or 25 wings with a over 20 different sauces. That's where I'd go!

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I have a 15 year old (since we are talking about teenagers).  We have been pretty inferior to Purdue over his lifetime.  How inferior?  Purdue is 20-9 against Indiana over his lifetime.  4 of the 9 wins were 2012 and 2013.  We won 4 in a row.  We won 2 more last year.  We split in 2016 and 2022.

Our success this century was Mike Davis.  He brings us closer to even but they still have a 23 to 19 advantage.  So anyone less than 24 years old is likely going to view them as the better program.  It really isn't even arguable.

As to the NIL, you know what has helped drive that right?  Fans who experienced success.  Anyone less than 40, if they are being honest, isn't viewing modern Indiana as on some plane above Purdue.  We're we when Knight was here?  Absolutely.  But that is ancient history at this point.  It is a fun data point like the Branch McCracken teams are to me.  Nice history but I didn't experience it and really I am more interested in the here and now than I am somebody my Grandpa watched play.  Everything that you point to as making this a good program is on life support right now.  People are pointing out to you the warning signs and you got your fingers in your ears.

This program is in big trouble if they don't turn things around soon.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, iuswingman said:

One of them you know how they fit in your program the other you have no idea. One is a gamble while the other is more of a sure thing. Lance Jones didn’t ask for anything NIL-wise and just wanted the chance to show how capable he was on a bigger stage. 

You’re telling me Edey getting a big NIL payday to stay versus Ware getting one to come to IU are the same? 

Edited by Stlboiler23

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I have a 15 year old (since we are talking about teenagers).  We have been pretty inferior to Purdue over his lifetime.  How inferior?  Purdue is 20-9 against Indiana over his lifetime.  4 of the 9 wins were 2012 and 2013.  We won 4 in a row.  We won 2 more last year.  We split in 2016 and 2022.

Our success this century was Mike Davis.  He brings us closer to even but they still have a 23 to 19 advantage.  So anyone less than 24 years old is likely going to view them as the better program.  It really isn't even arguable.

As to the NIL, you know what has helped drive that right?  Fans who experienced success.  Anyone less than 40, if they are being honest, isn't viewing modern Indiana as on some plane above Purdue.  We're we when Knight was here?  Absolutely.  But that is ancient history at this point.  It is a fun data point like the Branch McCracken teams are to me.  Nice history but I didn't experience it and really I am more interested in the here and now than I am somebody my Grandpa watched play.  Everything that you point to as making this a good program is on life support right now.  People are pointing out to you the warning signs and you got your fingers in your ears.

This program is in big trouble if they don't turn things around soon.

Even with RMK here Keady had a winning record vs IU