2025 PF Trent Sisley

gnet550

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

the guy wasn't trying to make a play on the ball at all.  

He was being lazy and yanked him by the shirt and seemed more upset that the ref caught him than that he might have hurt someone.

The point though is that (I would guarantee) the kid isn’t thinking about trying to hurt Sisley on that. In the moment he’s thinking he doesn’t want to give up an easy two, make him earn it at the line. Prob didn’t hit him until after it all blew up that he could have seriously hurt Sisley. Kid is competing and trying to win a game. You never know what somebody is thinking. Maybe planned on challenging him at the rim and realized last second he had no shot. No idea, just giving an example of what could happen in the heat of the moment. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

The point though is that (I would guarantee) the kid isn’t thinking about trying to hurt Sisley on that. In the moment he’s thinking he doesn’t want to give up an easy two, make him earn it at the line. Prob didn’t hit him until after it all blew up that he could have seriously hurt Sisley. Kid is competing and trying to win a game. You never know what somebody is thinking. Maybe planned on challenging him at the rim and realized last second he had no shot. No idea, just giving an example of what could happen in the heat of the moment. 

Just for the sake of conversation it could also be this. I'm not going to let Mr big time dunk on me like he does everyone else and I'm going to do anything to prevent it. If we give the kids the benefit of the doubt in the name of competition we also have to give them the benefit of knowing exactly what they might be doing. 

The only guarantees I know of is when I played any sport we knew exactly who the other teams stars were and they were going to earn it so that's why I side on this wasn't an accident. I remember trying to accidentally hit Mike Alstott (punch football loose) knowing full well where I was wanting to hit him. 

To keep the thread on point though. Sisley to me has really improved his game since I saw him last year. Not sure if he's done growing but love seeing the development.

On 11/30/2023 at 9:51 AM, go_iu_bb said:

It looks very bad. No play on the ball, he just grabbed Trent's jersey and pulled him down.

quoting this to bring the tweet back up. If you click on the tweet, the first comment, which I dont fully understand, makes it sound like the kid is chippy and this isnt his first rodeo. 

I not only judge the action, but the reaction as well. To me kid is getting blown by, not even close to playing the ball. He knows it's a dangerous play. He doesn't hold on longer to soften the blow. He doesnt hang around to see if TS is okay, not even a second look. TO me that shows intent. If i were the refs, he gets tossed from the game. More information would be needed for me for any further action. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

My point is this is why really skilled/talented kids don’t want to play HS basketball where you are exposed to kids that aren’t “educated” in the sport enough to know how dangerous this is to do. It’s different playing against these prep schools where the kids are on scholarship to play there or going on to college ball themselves and understand how the game is meant to be played. I’m not saying the kid shouldn’t be allowed to play ball anymore or did it on purpose but if you aren’t smart enough to know how dangerous that is…Coach shouldn’t have them on the floor…and that’s the danger of these small rural schools that have to just take any kid they can get to make a team…I played against a lot of football kids and good ol farm boys that didn’t understand the game and it makes it dangerous for all around them in these types of circumstances.

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My point is this is why really skilled/talented kids don’t want to play HS basketball where you are exposed to kids that aren’t “educated” in the sport enough to know how dangerous this is to do. It’s different playing against these prep schools where the kids are on scholarship to play there or going on to college ball themselves and understand how the game is meant to be played. I’m not saying the kid shouldn’t be allowed to play ball anymore or did it on purpose but if you aren’t smart enough to know how dangerous that is…Coach shouldn’t have them on the floor…and that’s the danger of these small rural schools that have to just take any kid they can get to make a team…I played against a lot of football kids and good ol farm boys that didn’t understand the game and it makes it dangerous for all around them in these types of circumstances.

Same with scrubs in a pickup game

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

If you ever have been going up for a wide open dunk and have someone take you out….youd probably have a different opinion. It’s probably the scariest thing thats ever happened to me in sports…helpless feeling in mid air like that and you have nothing to break your fall, nothing to protect your head. Been blindsided in football, taken out in a slide in baseball…this by far is worse.

You've done a lot of dunking? 

Totally agree with you about the danger. I'm 6'5" and only have a handful of dunks to my name. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Reacher said:

You've done a lot of dunking? 

Totally agree with you about the danger. I'm 6'5" and only have a handful of dunks to my name. 

Not much in HS. I’m only 6’2 but was springy.  I grew 4 inches between jr and sr year then two more inches my freshman year of college (I was young for my class) and really filled out late. I’d regularly dunked in our intramural league but never in pick up games at the park anymore after my incident. I think overall with that I just learned who I was playing with and if I trusted them.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

Terrible to see this in a high school game, playing with less skilled players can be dangerous. Blew out my knee on a alley-oop because other players lacked situational understanding. When you are moving with speed and go to elavate there is a lot that can end a career. I never was the same... on a positive note; the two metal pins in my knee tell me when rain is coming. Vertical went from 40 inches to 4 in a blink of an eye.

• Sad 4

Well, I’m 5’9” but had a 29 inch vertical in HS. No dunking but I was little and had a post player (friend) in a pick up game think it would be funny to give me a shove in the back a little as I was going up. He didn’t ever mean or think I’d go flying but I landed from my max jump flat on my back.

It didn’t hurt I landed perfectly, but I hopped up and started screaming at him. Scariest thing that ever happened to me playing hoops in my life. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw something on Twitter that Sisley and Mullins might be a package deal. IU, Iowa, and Notre Dame are only 3 so far to offer both players but Purdue might be the 4th so they can try getting both. If that’s the case I’d push hard for the package deal. Especially if you can push hard and get Haralson too. Time to get really green and pull out major Nil money for this group of 2025.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2023 at 3:26 PM, IUfaninIllinois said:

I saw something on Twitter that Sisley and Mullins might be a package deal. IU, Iowa, and Notre Dame are only 3 so far to offer both players but Purdue might be the 4th so they can try getting both. If that’s the case I’d push hard for the package deal. Especially if you can push hard and get Haralson too. Time to get really green and pull out major Nil money for this group of 2025.

Shrewsberry is really pushing for Mullins. 

• 1 month later...