Offseason 2022

43 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Do they not make external DVR's anymore? what am I missing?

When you run a combination audio and video signal through a recording device, it slows the transmission down by 0.0000387 milliseconds, then you're really not watching live TV anymore. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, IUaic said:

When you run a combination audio and video signal through a recording device, it slows the transmission down by 0.0000387 milliseconds, then you're really not watching live TV anymore. 

Even if you use the fiber optic cable? Does the speed of light make it like.... the future? I remember in Spaceballs the movie, they were watching a scene that hadn't even happened yet. 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Only problem with Peacock is you can't record them. And I'm not sure about watching them "on demand" later either. 

Well they have "on demand" replays of their MLB games.  So I would assume they will do that with other sports as well.

1 hour ago, IUaic said:

Technically, everything you see has happened in the past. Light and sound travel quickly, but not instantaneously. Love your post though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rico said:

I get annoyed at having to pay $70+ a month just to get ESPN and the BTN.  I wish 100% of IU's games were on Peacock.

So to avoid having to pay for both ESPN and BTN at the same time get Sling and try this out...  Subscribe to Sling Orange or Blue and add the Sports package.  With Orange you get the ESPNs and the SEC networks and Blue gets you FS1 and BTN.  Then what you do is edit/change your subscription whenever a game is on the opposite color package.  They just credit you for the cancelled plan that you had paid for and apply it to the other plan.  They cost the same so there's no charge.  It's very easy to make the switch back and forth. 

The other good thing with Sling is you can cancel or pause your subscription whenever.  So if you are just looking for IU basketball you could start in November and end it in March.  I'll restart mine for football and end in March after basketball.

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IUaic said:

At our house it is not uncommon for the same program to be on in 2 or 3 different rooms.  All have a satellite receiver.  There can be up to a 10-15 second difference.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

So to avoid having to pay for both ESPN and BTN at the same time get Sling and try this out...  Subscribe to Sling Orange or Blue and add the Sports package.  With Orange you get the ESPNs and the SEC networks and Blue gets you FS1 and BTN.  Then what you do is edit/change your subscription whenever a game is on the opposite color package.  They just credit you for the cancelled plan that you had paid for and apply it to the other plan.  They cost the same so there's no charge.  It's very easy to make the switch back and forth. 

The other good thing with Sling is you can cancel or pause your subscription whenever.  So if you are just looking for IU basketball you could start in November and end it in March.  I'll restart mine for football and end in March after basketball.

Go Hoosiers!!!

My point was that I dislike paying for channels I don't watch.  I am looking for a streaming service that just has sports.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rico said:

Well they have "on demand" replays of their MLB games.  So I would assume they will do that with other sports as well.

Sure hope you're right. I always watch a replay of every game to look for movement without the ball, and/or focus on a player or two to see their defense.

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Sure hope you're right. I always watch a replay of every game to look for movement without the ball, and/or focus on a player or two to see their defense.

Matthew Loves Ball on YouTube is your best friend. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

https://theathletic.com/3538866/2022/08/26/college-basketball-indiana-creighton-kentucky/?amp=1

Article by our friend Seth Davis. An interesting quote from the article discussing point guard play: 

The closest thing Indiana had to a backup was Rob Phinisee, but he was more of a natural scorer, and now he has graduated.”

uh yeah sure…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

https://theathletic.com/3538866/2022/08/26/college-basketball-indiana-creighton-kentucky/?amp=1

Article by our friend Seth Davis. An interesting quote from the article discussing point guard play: 

The closest thing Indiana had to a backup was Rob Phinisee, but he was more of a natural scorer, and now he has graduated.”

uh yeah sure…

You’ve heard of James Naismith, I’m sure, but have you heard of Nicholas McKay? He was the secretary of the YMCA in Crawfordsville, Indiana, who during the winter of 1892 spent several months with Naismith studying and discussing the exciting new game Naismith had invented the year before. McKay took a copy of Naismith’s 13 rules back home, and on March 16, 1894, he staged the state of Indiana’s first organized game at the Crawfordsville YMCA. Over the next few decades, the game exploded in popularity across Indiana, primarily in high schools, and from there “Basket Ball,” as Naismith first called it, became a staple of the American sporting culture.

The moral of the story: Basketball may have been conceived in Massachusetts, but it was born in Indiana.

As the 2022-23 season approaches the question is, will it be reborn? I realize that that query is an affront to the legions of fans who cheer on Purdue, Butler, Notre Dame, and other colleges across the state, but it has been a while since we’ve heard genuine calls of optimism from fans of the Indiana Hoosiers.

That is about to change. Here is a sampling of questions from hopeful Hoosiers that came in for my summertime college hoops mailbag:

Different circumstance since this is only Coach Woodson’s second season, but this upcoming opportunity for IU reminds me of when Coach Crean had super talent returning in 2016. They have a complete roster and a superstar in Trayce Jackson-Davis. I’m biased as an IU alum, but I do think this team has a legit shot at a Final Four. What is your prediction? — Jason A.

What is Indiana’s ceiling? — Lance B.

Thoughts on the Hoosiers? Does TJD make the leap he needs to be a threat outside of the paint? And is it enough to get a few tourney wins? — Nick M.

Which sophomore are you projecting to have a breakout season and why is it Tamar Bates? — Alexander B.

Hoop springs eternal in the heartland, but Indiana fans do have extra reason to look forward to the 2022-23 campaign. The biggest, of course, is the decision by 6-9 senior forward Trayce Jackson-Davis to return for his senior year. When TJD got to Bloomington, most people didn’t think he would stick around for three years, let alone four, but his presence makes the Hoosiers the consensus Big Ten favorite. Of course, the reason Jackson-Davis is still in college is because his skill set does not translate well to the NBA. (He has never made a 3-pointer in college.) But he is an All-American caliber college center, and the fact that he hails from nearby Greenwood lends dramatic texture to the script.

With Jackson-Davis in the fold, Indiana has four starters returning from the team that won its First Four game over Wyoming and then got blitzed by Saint Mary’s in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Given the excitement that is brewing, it would be a disappointment if this team failed to reach the second weekend. Which is ironic, because the aforementioned Tom Crean made the Sweet 16 three times in five years, but the school fired him the next year after went from No. 3 in the country to out of the Big Dance. A major factor in that demise was the season-ending knee injury that OG Anunoby suffered in mid-January. That is an unsettling reminder that even the most hopeful of seasons can go awry with some bad luck.

For a deep dive on the Hoosiers, I highly recommend Eamonn Brennan’s breakdown of the roster. From my vantage point, I have two main concerns. The first is point guard play. Woodson brought in Pitt transfer Xavier Johnson last season, and while he showed flashes of excellence, Johnson was wholly unreliable as a leader. He did not inspire confidence on this front when he was arrested for reckless driving in April. The closest thing Indiana had to a backup was Rob Phinisee, but he was more of a natural scorer, and now he has graduated. Sophomore Khristian Lander also never panned out and transferred to Western Kentucky. The team is pinning its hopes on 6-6 freshman Jalen Hood-Schifino, who is currently attending Chris Paul’s Elite Guard Camp in Los Angeles. Either way, the Hoosiers need to be better at this position because it’s hard to see them being a much better 3-point shooting team. They shot a paltry 31.9 percent in league games last season, which was second-worst in the Big Ten.

My larger concern is whether the Hoosiers are ready for all this hope. It’s not so much about buying into their rankings and “press clippings” (young kids ask your folks what those are) so much as the greater attention they will get from opponents. This season Indiana will be the circle-your-calendar game in the Big Ten. This is an older team, so they should be able to handle it, but it’s also the kind of thing you can only learn to do by going through it. So stay tuned.

As for Bates, I’d love to tell Alexander that he’s going to have a breakout season, but I’m not banking on it. The 6-4 guard from Kansas City was highly regarded coming out of high school, but he only averaged 3.9 points in 14.5 minutes, and there are a lot of guys, both returning and incoming, vying for time on the wing. If Bates does break out, the Hoosiers will be even better than a lot of people thought. And as you can tell, a lot of people already think this team is going to be very good.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rico said:

You’ve heard of James Naismith, I’m sure, but have you heard of Nicholas McKay? He was the secretary of the YMCA in Crawfordsville, Indiana, who during the winter of 1892 spent several months with Naismith studying and discussing the exciting new game Naismith had invented the year before. McKay took a copy of Naismith’s 13 rules back home, and on March 16, 1894, he staged the state of Indiana’s first organized game at the Crawfordsville YMCA. Over the next few decades, the game exploded in popularity across Indiana, primarily in high schools, and from there “Basket Ball,” as Naismith first called it, became a staple of the American sporting culture.

The moral of the story: Basketball may have been conceived in Massachusetts, but it was born in Indiana.

As the 2022-23 season approaches the question is, will it be reborn? I realize that that query is an affront to the legions of fans who cheer on Purdue, Butler, Notre Dame, and other colleges across the state, but it has been a while since we’ve heard genuine calls of optimism from fans of the Indiana Hoosiers.

That is about to change. Here is a sampling of questions from hopeful Hoosiers that came in for my summertime college hoops mailbag:

Different circumstance since this is only Coach Woodson’s second season, but this upcoming opportunity for IU reminds me of when Coach Crean had super talent returning in 2016. They have a complete roster and a superstar in Trayce Jackson-Davis. I’m biased as an IU alum, but I do think this team has a legit shot at a Final Four. What is your prediction? — Jason A.

What is Indiana’s ceiling? — Lance B.

Thoughts on the Hoosiers? Does TJD make the leap he needs to be a threat outside of the paint? And is it enough to get a few tourney wins? — Nick M.

Which sophomore are you projecting to have a breakout season and why is it Tamar Bates? — Alexander B.

Hoop springs eternal in the heartland, but Indiana fans do have extra reason to look forward to the 2022-23 campaign. The biggest, of course, is the decision by 6-9 senior forward Trayce Jackson-Davis to return for his senior year. When TJD got to Bloomington, most people didn’t think he would stick around for three years, let alone four, but his presence makes the Hoosiers the consensus Big Ten favorite. Of course, the reason Jackson-Davis is still in college is because his skill set does not translate well to the NBA. (He has never made a 3-pointer in college.) But he is an All-American caliber college center, and the fact that he hails from nearby Greenwood lends dramatic texture to the script.

With Jackson-Davis in the fold, Indiana has four starters returning from the team that won its First Four game over Wyoming and then got blitzed by Saint Mary’s in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Given the excitement that is brewing, it would be a disappointment if this team failed to reach the second weekend. Which is ironic, because the aforementioned Tom Crean made the Sweet 16 three times in five years, but the school fired him the next year after went from No. 3 in the country to out of the Big Dance. A major factor in that demise was the season-ending knee injury that OG Anunoby suffered in mid-January. That is an unsettling reminder that even the most hopeful of seasons can go awry with some bad luck.

For a deep dive on the Hoosiers, I highly recommend Eamonn Brennan’s breakdown of the roster. From my vantage point, I have two main concerns. The first is point guard play. Woodson brought in Pitt transfer Xavier Johnson last season, and while he showed flashes of excellence, Johnson was wholly unreliable as a leader. He did not inspire confidence on this front when he was arrested for reckless driving in April. The closest thing Indiana had to a backup was Rob Phinisee, but he was more of a natural scorer, and now he has graduated. Sophomore Khristian Lander also never panned out and transferred to Western Kentucky. The team is pinning its hopes on 6-6 freshman Jalen Hood-Schifino, who is currently attending Chris Paul’s Elite Guard Camp in Los Angeles. Either way, the Hoosiers need to be better at this position because it’s hard to see them being a much better 3-point shooting team. They shot a paltry 31.9 percent in league games last season, which was second-worst in the Big Ten.

My larger concern is whether the Hoosiers are ready for all this hope. It’s not so much about buying into their rankings and “press clippings” (young kids ask your folks what those are) so much as the greater attention they will get from opponents. This season Indiana will be the circle-your-calendar game in the Big Ten. This is an older team, so they should be able to handle it, but it’s also the kind of thing you can only learn to do by going through it. So stay tuned.

As for Bates, I’d love to tell Alexander that he’s going to have a breakout season, but I’m not banking on it. The 6-4 guard from Kansas City was highly regarded coming out of high school, but he only averaged 3.9 points in 14.5 minutes, and there are a lot of guys, both returning and incoming, vying for time on the wing. If Bates does break out, the Hoosiers will be even better than a lot of people thought. And as you can tell, a lot of people already think this team is going to be very good.

If you follow that Eamonn Brennan article link, the title is "Indiana’s next step includes getting more from everyone not named Trayce Jackson-Davis"

I don't think that's totally true.  Sure we need X to play like he showed at the end of the season. And of course we'll need better than 31% from 3 point land. And the defense has to excel again.

But I think for us to reach our maximum potential Trayce has to play like he did in the 2nd half of both the Michigan and Illinois games in the BTT, sprinkled with some modicum of a mid-range out to 3 point game. He has to play like he's the best player on the floor at both ends,

If that happens, I think we'll fulfill Mike Woodson's goals at Indiana... Winning Big 10 Championships and contending for a National title

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

If you follow that Eamonn Brennan article link, the title is "Indiana’s next step includes getting more from everyone not named Trayce Jackson-Davis"

I don't think that's totally true.  Sure we need X to play like he showed at the end of the season. And of course we'll need better than 31% from 3 point land. And the defense has to excel again.

But I think for us to reach our maximum potential Trayce has to play like he did in the 2nd half of both the Michigan and Illinois games in the BTT, sprinkled with some modicum of a mid-range out to 3 point game. He has to play like he's the best player on the floor at both ends,

If that happens, I think we'll fulfill Mike Woodson's goals at Indiana... Winning Big 10 Championships and contending for a National title

I agree with you, but I don’t think TJD playing that way and X playing the way he did (and that we need him to) are mutually exclusive. I’m fact, I’d argue there is a lot of correlation between the two.

If they can both play like first team all conference guys, that makes the game so so so much easier for everyone else to just relax and play their part. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Took a shot at some Big Ten power rankings.

More important, if you want to see every team's league schedule and roster turnover all in one place, here you go:

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/big-ten-basketball-power-rankings-a-first-look-at-the-forecast-for-2022-23/

Loved the write up...

My own opinion is Purdue and Illinois too high, and Michigan State and Iowa too low...

Sure, Edey gets within 7 feet of the rim, he's scoring... But he has to have someone to get it to him, and outside shooting to keep the double team away...

And with the backcourt the Boilers currently have, if I was an opposing coach, I'd pressure them for 94 feet... 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree with you, but I don’t think TJD playing that way and X playing the way he did (and that we need him to) are mutually exclusive. I’m fact, I’d argue there is a lot of correlation between the two.

If they can both play like first team all conference guys, that makes the game so so so much easier for everyone else to just relax and play their part. 

I'd agree with that. Not mutually exclusive, but if you rewatch the second half of those two games, Trayce kicked it into a gear I hadn't seen before. He basically told Kofi and Tall Sheldon "I'm as good as either one of you." A lot of that work was done on the low block and on the defensive end.

The pick and roll between the Trayce and X was great especially at the end of last year, but if Trayce (and Race) can open up the floor a little, watch out... 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 02Hoosier said:

uh yeah sure…

He only watched the 1st half of the Purdue game 😳

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Loved the write up...

My own opinion is Purdue and Illinois too high, and Michigan State and Iowa too low...

Sure, Edey gets within 7 feet of the rim, he's scoring... But he has to have someone to get it to him, and outside shooting to keep the double team away...

And with the backcourt the Boilers currently have, if I was an opposing coach, I'd pressure them for 94 feet... 

looking at our recruits and players how do we ever beat anyone 

7 hours ago, 02Hoosier said:

uh yeah sure…

Picturing Seth's golf game...

317577216_Swingandmiss.gif.fa0a0831e0e0a96614e04b9650281826.gif

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Loved the write up...

Thanks for reading.  You can make arguments for and against every team in those 2 through 9 spots and I'd probably just be nodding my head in agreement.  There is nothing real convincing about any of them in my opinion.  I do think the strength of league schedule will play a role.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Thanks for reading.  You can make arguments for and against every team in those 2 through 9 spots and I'd probably just be nodding my head in agreement.  There is nothing real convincing about any of them in my opinion.  I do think the strength of league schedule will play a role.

Very much so...

I just keep looking at the backcourt inexperience of Illinois and the Boilers against say a Caleb McConnell and a Paul Mulcahy of Rutgers, or other experienced back courts in the league like Michigan State or even Penn State. I think both will struggle. 

You're right, schedule will dictate a lot of the race. It should be an exciting year.

I think this might be the best year for IU in quite some time... 

On 8/27/2022 at 8:44 AM, IUFLA said:

Very much so...

I just keep looking at the backcourt inexperience of Illinois and the Boilers against say a Caleb McConnell and a Paul Mulcahy of Rutgers, or other experienced back courts in the league like Michigan State or even Penn State. I think both will struggle. 

You're right, schedule will dictate a lot of the race. It should be an exciting year.

I think this might be the best year for IU in quite some time... 

We're do for one of those...