Arizona Post Game Thread

KDB

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Immediately followed by the flop call, and TJD's 4th foul...

The thing with the flop is not only was it a terrible call that gave them a free throw, it should have been either a charge or a missed shot, which would've been our ball either way. 

We should have had the ball and the momentum down 6.

I have a feeling, much like our two techs against Xavier where it will eat away at us all year every time someone taunts without a tech, anytime we see someone flop without a tech we're going to be pretty annoyed. I know they got rid of the flop warnings, but the result shouldn't be that type of play being called a tech. That was no ones intent. 

• Like 1

If the flop was correctly called a charge, Ballo picked up what would have been his fourth (but was only his third) foul 30 seconds later. So theoretically we should have had the momentum, at worst a 6 point game, and the ball, with Ballo on the bench, with 8 minutes to go. 

Instead we were down 12 with TJD on the bench and UA had the momentum. 

That's all from just objectively terrible calls.

Hard to say that we got screwed as bad as Rutgers, we still had to win those last 8 minutes by 7, but I'd have liked our odds to do so. Refs may not have won UA the game, but they really took away any reasonable chance we had to win with that sequence. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

No, exactly right...does me too, but those are the rules. 

There is no shame to losing to Arizona. Like I said, I saw a bit of a change in Malik's effort level from the first half to the second...

Woody's message is, "hey kid, you want to get to the league? Ok, here's who you have to climb over to get there." 

Well said. It’s just the 8 international players on a roster of 19 and of those 8 are the starters or 1st off the bench.  

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 1

Sorry for the triple post, but TJD also fouled out for the second time in his career. So our last two losses are the only two times the kid has fouled out in four years.... He shot 6 and 5 free throws collectively in those games. He has 8 fouls on year in games aside from those two.

I'm sure he just magically forgot how to play in those two games.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Spot on to a T! How many US born, college age players playing in the US are going to get that much national competition experience ? Correct if I’m way off or wrong. It just runs me the wrong way.

Plenty of the top high school players from the US plays in international games.

It was an obvious goaltend.  I am not even sure what there is to debate.  The subsequent flop call was BS and the entire momentum swung there. 

We took a tech for the flop yet they flailed and flopped all day, like European drama queens in soccer.  I like and respect soccer but if a guy trips he puts on a show like he needs an amputation and then stays in the game and is fine.  That’s the culture they brought.  

Anyway, the real tech that was needed was Arizona’s taunting.  If you give IU two techs against Xavier, what Arizona did was far worse.  Watch closely.  One blatant example was when Kopp dove after a ball out of bounds.  An Arizona guy totally yelled at him.  Very clear taunting.  Kerr did too.  

When you behave like that, you’re a reflection of your coach. Our guys were muted because of prior techs and they woofed and stared us down (and mocked our crowd).

I wouldn’t mind another shot at them.  I think we can beat them if we adjust, get healthy, etc.  I bet our guys are steamed and want another shot.  We were fine for the last 30 minutes.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

So just a couple of notes (which maybe I should have included in the pre-game)

After @mrflynn03's comments about an "International All-Star Team" I had to look...All of the Arizona kids have extensive International experience...All quotes are "borrowed" from Wikipedia :) 

Ballo played for Mali at the 2017 FIBA Under-16 African Championship in Vacoas-Phoenix, Mauritius. He averaged 14.4 points and 12.8 rebounds per game, winning the gold medal while making the tournament All-Star Five.[15] Playing for Mali at the 2018 FIBA Under-17 World Cup in Argentina, Ballo averaged 20.6 points and a tournament-high 16.9 rebounds per game and was named to the All-Star Five.[16] On 7 July 2018, he recorded 32 points and a tournament-record 32 rebounds in a 110–108 triple overtime loss to the Dominican Republic.[17] Ballo won a gold medal with Mali at the 2018 FIBA Under-18 African Championship in Bamako, Mali. He averaged 8.5 points and six rebounds per game.[18]

Ballo competed at the 2019 FIBA Under-19 World Cup in Heraklion, Greece, missing the first two games due to visa issues.[19][20] In five games, he averaged 17.6 points, 11.8 rebounds, and 3.8 blocks per game, leading Mali to a silver medal, the best performance by an African team at a global basketball tournament.[20] Ballo was named to the All-Star Five with teammate Siriman Kanouté.[21]

He committed to Gonzaga, but transferred to Arizona when Lloyd took the job (to which Mark Few said, "I'll drink to that!") :D 

Tubelis played for Lithuania at the 2016 FIBA U16 European Championship in Radom, where he averaged 4.9 points and 4.3 rebounds per game.[15] At the 2018 FIBA U16 European Championship in Novi Sad, he averaged 14.3 points, 10.4 rebounds and 2.7 blocks per game.[16] Tubelis represented Lithuania at the 2019 FIBA U18 European Championship in Volos, averaging 14.9 points, 12.6 rebounds and 3.4 blocks per game.

Kriisa played for the youth teams of his hometown club BC Tartu since he was 12 years old and debuted with University of Tartu first team during the 2016–17 KML season at the age of 15. In September 2017 he signed with Brose Bamberg and started playing in their affiliate team Baunach Young Pikes.[1] His stint in Germany was cut short due to periostitis and he returned to Estonia for treatment.[2]
In August 2018, he signed with Žalgiris Kaunas.[3] In his first year with the Kaunas team Kriisa played on the Lithuanian second league (NKL) team Žalgiris-2 and also for the youth team in the Euroleague Basketball Next Generation Tournament. He was awarded with the MVP and All-Tournament Team honours at the Kaunas Qualifying Tournament. Kriisa averaged 17.3 points, 4.7 assists and 2.7 rebounds over 7 games ib the 2018–19 season of Next Generation Tournament.[4]

Kriisa made his EuroLeague debut for Žalgiris on 25 October 2019 and scored his first point from a free throw as Žalgiris defeated LDLC ASVEL 70–56 in the Regular Season Round 4 game.[5] In November 2019 Kriisa was sent on loan to another Lithuanian team CBet Prienai to gain experience in the Lithuanian Basketball League (LKL).[6] His loan spell ended in January 2020 and Kriisa returned to Žalgiris-2.[7]

Pelle Larsson started at Utah then transferred, he played for RIG Lulea and BC Lulea ... named Swedish Basketball League's Star of the Year honor after averaging 7.6 points, 2.8 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 0.8 steals with BC Lulea in 2019-20 ... in 2018-19, he averaged 17.9 points, 6.3 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1.7 steals with RIG Lulea, earning him a spot on Eurobasket's All-Swedish BasketEttan Third Team ... while playing with the Swedish U18 team at the FIBA U18 European Championships in Romania, he averaged 15.8 points, 7.1 rebounds, 5.5 assists and 1.9 steals while leading the tournament in field goal percentage (61.1) and assists ... was also named to the all-tournament team at the FIBA U18 European Championships ... his father, Christian, played professional basketball in Sweden ... his older brother, Vilgot, played collegiate basketball at the University of Maine (2018-21).

I'm frigging huge jealous.  

Remember like 4 seasons ago we thought we were going after some Italian kid with some twitter videos?

Get talent and I don't care if we get one from every continent.   

Rewatched goaltending 

TJD not going for lob 

TG has shot a million floaters recently 

the ref must have thought it was a lob or totally missed it 

Flop:  you gotta be smarter…take one big bump then fall on 2nd 

AZ is really impressive on offense but some of the defensive mistakes were glaring.  Bates doing his best Ivey & Newman impersonation.  Staring at the ball, going under screens on shooters, not connected to teammates.  
After you cut it to 6 they take a TO and Kopp gets beat back door for a dunk

All these things are fixable….maybe not the refs 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

You have to look at it like this I think...

Playing in FIBA tournaments, you're basically playing all star teams...Regardless how we look at Indiana high school basketball, it's not the same caliber competition that those kids faced from early in their careers...

The Montverde kids we have are a good example of the maturity gained when you're playing higher level competition...

Good point about the maturity.  The big euro dude just had a business like, been there - done that look and attitude.  Nothing like a typical college aged American player and associatiated emotion.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm frigging huge jealous.  

Remember like 4 seasons ago we thought we were going after some Italian kid with some twitter videos?

Get talent and I don't care if we get one from every continent.   

...or the Australian guard etc..  The issue is we have had zero success with attracting foreign players.  It's like trying to recruit exclusively in-state H.S. players - you gotta exploit ALL avenues.

All right, I’ve been biting my tongue for years , but this BS just recruit Indiana is BS. Been to high school games in Indiana and Georgia. Yes you can argue they don’t have the coaching, they don’t have the competition, they don’t live Indiana Basketball. But by God they have talent! If I’m a coach making a choice between two players, one from Indiana and one from Timbuktu considered equally. I’m taking Timbuktu! They have a much higher upside!!

18 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just getting back from Vegas. First thing. What an environment. I spoke with a MGM person a couple hours after the game and she just said Indiana is welcome back whenever and however it can work. Totally blown away at the turnout.

Regarding game. Arizona is legit top 2-3 in nation with their size. With that said (and I haven't read all the comments yet) you can't let bigs continue to just lower their frickin shoulder and plow refs. Just brutal. We miss JHS more than some thought. Xavier is great when he's good but we need that calming presence of JHS badly. 

Happy to see Race draw guys out. Bates is doing his thing. Kopp getting more and more confident. Disappointed in TJD. There is no way he should ever go that long without a FGA....I don't care how many guys are hanging all over him.

Lots of other thoughts but trying to get caught up. I will say this. Tommy Lloyd is a grade 1 dbag. He's getting 80% of the calls all night long and every timeout, every possession he's chirping at the refs. Combination of Bo Ryan/Bruce Weber and maybe Fran.......

Not the result we wanted but we get so much more out of this. We have a ton of improvement to do but it's all correctable especially when JHS gets healthy. Take the week. Get finals out of the way and look forward to Kansas. Go Hoosiers. Incredible atmosphere though.

Did you point out how poorly the women's game out there was run? If they want the men's program back, then they need  to make it a package deal and treat the women's game the same.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Please don’t take this the wrong way. It may just be me, but was anyone else a bit taken back by the number of international players on that team? There are 19 players listed on their roster and 8 of them are from over seas and the majority of them are starters… 

Who cares where they are from. I'd love a few international players, they usually have big time experience before they even enter college. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Who cares where they are from. I'd love a few international players, they usually have big time experience before they even enter college. 

If the staff thinks they can help our team I don't care where they are from. we could recruit the 5 aliens from space jam if that helps Indiana basketball. 

• Like 1