Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

4 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Wouldn’t surprise me. I’m guessing he’ll get a solid NIL deal. 

Think it’s somewhat of a gamble on his part. If he comes back, is he going to be any hotter than he was this year? Can he put up the same or better stats, sweep the rewards again. Maybe, maybe not. A player of his type I think has to go when  peaking. Either way, personally Don’t care what he decides but interesting decision.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

Think it’s somewhat of a gamble on his part. If he comes back, is he going to be any hotter than he was this year? Can he put up the same or better stats, sweep the rewards again. Maybe, maybe not. A player of his type I think has to go when  peaking. Either way, personally Don’t care what he decides but interesting decision.

Maybe he likes going cow tipping.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Portal related so I'll throw it in here. I never want to be a program that has to hit the portal like we will this year. Let me ask this question though. Unless it's a top tier recruit i.e. JHS type are we wanting a program where we still recruit well and pepper in the portal where it fits? Or will we just succumb to the pressures of needing to hit portal every Spring because either players leave for NBA (good thing) or players leave because of underperformance (JG/TB)?

Reason I ask is the body and mind development between age 18 and say 21 is light years. Would you rather have a top 100 recruit as a freshman? Or a semi proven commodity from smaller school in his Junior year? 

I've always been program development guy. Recruit elite guys when you can, have 3-4 Trey or Race or Christian Watford or Hulls types (not position just great program guys) and pop a portal when you can.

Just curious what most think. Something of a message board conversation while we wait for nobody to commit until next week. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Portal related so I'll throw it in here. I never want to be a program that has to hit the portal like we will this year. Let me ask this question though. Unless it's a top tier recruit i.e. JHS type are we wanting a program where we still recruit well and pepper in the portal where it fits? Or will we just succumb to the pressures of needing to hit portal every Spring because either players leave for NBA (good thing) or players leave because of underperformance (JG/TB)?

Reason I ask is the body and mind development between age 18 and say 21 is light years. Would you rather have a top 100 recruit as a freshman? Or a semi proven commodity from smaller school in his Junior year? 

I've always been program development guy. Recruit elite guys when you can, have 3-4 Trey or Race or Christian Watford or Hulls types (not position just great program guys) and pop a portal when you can.

Just curious what most think. Something of a message board conversation while we wait for nobody to commit until next week. 

I think this year is not going to be the norm. We had most of the starting lineup use up their eligibility. Then we had CAM recruited players not develop into the next version. (LD, JG) and finally TB for some reason didn’t develop either? We also have to realize that this is a whole new world with the portal and declaring for the draft! Part of the reason we are in this situation is because CMW didn’t take full advantage of the portal last year! We are just now feeling the benefits of CMW’s truly first recruiting class. One going one and done, another probably won’t be here 4 years before going pro and the other two are very promising for the future! 

Even Wisconsin who we hated because they always seemed to have a next generation step up is struggling now. On the other hand this year you had teams totally rebuild with the portal and end up doing very well in the tournament. It’s a new world! 

Do I like it? I’m open minded and time will tell!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Had this conversation quite a bit this winter and spring. Me? I’d take a 20 year old from the portal before a fringe top 150 hs recruit. Experience matters at this level, and unless it’s a JHS type, you always have to attempt to upgrade 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Had this conversation quite a bit this winter and spring. Me? I’d take a 20 year old from the portal before a fringe top 150 hs recruit. Experience matters at this level, and unless it’s a JHS type, you always have to attempt to upgrade 

Reading the tea leaves, it seems a big part of the reason we still have one and done is because the NBA didn’t want to extend valuable resources recruiting HS players. They want the players to prove themselves at the next collegiate level! Seems quite reasonable to let unknowns prove themselves and then recruit them!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

This is what I want to see. Get old and stay old. You do that with a good mix. But I'm hitting the portal before I take a kid outside the top 100 H.S. players. Maybe even as low as 90.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Indykev said:

This is what I want to see. Get old and stay old. You do that with a good mix. But I'm hitting the portal before I take a kid outside the top 100 H.S. players. Maybe even as low as 90.

Yeah, I think a lot of guys in that 100-150 range who used to go P5 may now end up at mid-majors for the first couple of years

• Like 2