Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For me if we aren't bringing in a guy who is better than Galloway and be a starter there is no need to bring in another backup 2.  I think you should just go with Gunn and Newton in that position and let them develop.

I think our only difference in this is that I believe Trey can start for a Big 10 and National contender...

There might be some marginally better players offensively left in the portal, but I kinda like having that defensive presence and a guy that, as Woody says, is willing to do the "dirty little things" that win ballgames... 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think our only difference in this is that I believe Trey can start for a Big 10 and National contender...

There might be some marginally better players offensively left in the portal, but I kinda like having that defensive presence and a guy that, as Woody says, is willing to do the "dirty little things" that win ballgames... 

This has probably been talked about but having XJ and Cupps being the primary ball handlers is going to provide Trey with a significant off the ball advantage we didn't see last year. Trey with his 3 point shooting is going keep defenders  guarding MM, Malik Ware and XJ honest. Overall his ability to finish and 3 point opportunities should increase significantly given the assets he's surrounded by.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I certainly think the team is competitive as is. But adding an experienced 10-12 PPG starting CG, and moving Galloway to 6th man, would make it a legit Final Four contender.

Don’t know about FF contender, but I also prefer TG as the energy guy off the bench. Don’t think he’s a 12-15 ppg 2 guard that I’d like to have

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

My on problem with Trey is that he doesn't have a versatile offensive game. He has to be wide open to get his 3 pointer off because he has a slow release like Kopp did. The only other offensive game he has is a floater which to me is the worst shot in basketball.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

My on problem with Trey is that he doesn't have a versatile offensive game. He has to be wide open to get his 3 pointer off because he has a slow release like Kopp did. The only other offensive game he has is a floater which to me is the worst shot in basketball.

If Trey was being relied on to be a big part of the offense, I might agree...But he's not...

When he gets a good look from 3, he hits them...And if you rewatch the games, a lot of times Trey launched that floater because Trayce and/or Race, not to mention their defenders, were within 5 feet of the basket, and he couldn't get all the way to the hoop...In the open court, and when the lane was open, he can and did get to the basket...

He balances out what you and others view as his deficiencies with good, solid defense, shooting the 3s he gets at a solid 46% rate (with pretty good shot selection), and he doesn't turn it over (less than 1 a game last year)...

As for bringing in another guard...Why? There comes a time when Woody has to be committed to the kids that committed to him...Give them a chance over some kid who has a nice PPG average but shoots it close to 20 times a game (see Andrew Taylor...and no, that's not an exaggeration)...

The portal pickings are pretty barren at this point...Andre Curbelo, with all of his flaws, is the 3rd ranked PG left, if that tells you anything...

Edited by IUFLA

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If Trey was being relied on to be a big part of the offense, I might agree...But he's not...

When he gets a good look from 3, he hits them...And if you rewatch the games...A lot of times Trey launched that floater because Trayce and/or Race, not to mention their defenders, were within 5 feet of the basket, and he couldn't get all the way to the hoop...In the open court, and when the lane was open, he can and did get to the basket...

He balances out what you and others view as his deficiencies with good, solid defense, shooting the 3s he gets at a solid 46% rate (with pretty good shot selection), and he doesn't turn it over (less than 1 a game last year)...

As for bringing in another guard...Why? There comes a time when Woody has to be committed to the kids that committed to him...Give them a chance over some kid who has a nice PPG average but shoots it close to 20 times a game (see Andrew Taylor...and no, that's not an exaggeration)...

The portal pickings are pretty barren at this point...Andre Curbelo, with all of his flaws, is the 3rd ranked PG left, if that tells you anything...

At this point I’d rather not take anyone else unless some stud enters that’s a luxury.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

At this point I’d rather not take anyone else unless some stud enters that’s a luxury.

Agree 100%...

If a top notch kid drops out of the NBA draft and knocks on Woody's door, that's one thing...

Taking a mid major kid with middling numbers and a lot of unknowns is another... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

I'm bullish on Galloway and feel like he's going to average 10 to 11 points a game next year. If he averages 10 to 11 points next year I would believe we might not need to bring in another guard because most commits would probably be a lateral move as opposed to an upgrade with a "stud."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUProfessor said:

I certainly think the team is competitive as is. But adding an experienced 10-12 PPG starting CG, and moving Galloway to 6th man, would make it a legit Final Four contender.

Yeah although I don't even care if it's someone that can start over Galloway or if it's someone to be the sixth man, we just need a veteran guard one way or another. Our only two experienced guards both have had some injuries cause them to miss a lot of time in their careers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah although I don't even care if it's someone that can start over Galloway or if it's someone to be the sixth man, we just need a veteran guard one way or another. Our only two experienced guards both have had some injuries cause them to miss a lot of time in their careers. 

This.

It's not about replacing anybody or being an upgrade.

We lack depth. Another ballhandler that can be steady for 8 to 12 minutes would be an important decision.

It's about depth depth depth!

• Like 6

I guess I just have more faith in Cupps, Gunn, Newton, and even Leal than some of y'all do...

We brought them here to compete and play... So let them...

That said, I sincerely wish that at sometime in the next season, there's a game where Anthony Leal comes in for some important minutes in a dire situation and helps us pull one out... Just one time... He's a role model teammate and deserves at least one, "Hey, remember the Anthony Leal game?" moment in his career... 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I guess I just have more faith in Cupps, Gunn, Newton, and even Leal than some of y'all do...

We brought them here to compete and play... So let them...

That said, I sincerely wish that at sometime in the next season, there's a game where Anthony Leal comes in for some important minutes in a dire situation and helps us pull one out... Just one time... He's a role model teammate and deserves at least one, "Hey, remember the Anthony Leal game?" moment in his career... 

Leal a role model teammate? Because he paid for his sisters school?? If he spent as much time in Cook hall as he does at Frat parties or Kilroy Sports he'd go to the NBA.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Indykev said:

Leal a role model teammate? Because he paid for his sisters school?? If he spent as much time in Cook hall as he does at Frat parties or Kilroy Sports he'd go to the NBA.

That's not what I'm basing it on at all...the deal with his sister is more a family/feel good story...

Always the first one off the bench cheering his teammates on, giving them encouragement... And I've heard more than a few say he's one of the hardest workers on the team...

If Woody didn't think he served a purpose, I'm sure he wouldn't have kept him...

As for the partying stuff, what college kid doesn't? 

• Like 4

Back on portal options.....

Tyrin Lawrence. 6-4 195. No clue if IU has reached out or not. 

Put his name in the draft. No combine invite. Finished his junior year at Vandy.

Averaged 13 pts on 48% from the field. Shot 36% from 3. 74% from the line. 

Bring him in, play him alongside X. Both could play the 1 or 2 easily. 

Develop him into a draft pick and hang your hat on it to the HS recruits. 

Imagine the recruiting cred they could build by bringing in him, Ware, and Mgbako into the program and getting them all drafted in the same year. Wow. 3 different back stories coming from different points in their careers, to NBA draft picks thanks to IU and their development. 

Edited by Beamerball