Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

I don’t believe they are legitimately recruiting him now.

I don't either.  Don't see Mgbako very happy if they did.  Need a 2 guard more than they need duplication at the three.

Edited by FKIM01

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Geeez enough already!! We have one count him one, starter left from last year’s team and all you people want to do is replace him?????)😫

You mean the guy who only started because XJ got injured. I just think Trey would be better as the 6th man type than a starter.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You mean the guy who only started because XJ got injured. I just think Trey would be better as the 6th man type than a starter.

If we find a player who is good enough to push Galloway to the bench, we're in for a really fun season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is what I have been saying is for us to be a contender we need to get a player better at the 2

The more I think of it, the more I disagree with this.  Another 2 that could score would be nice but I think you are way underestimating what Galloway can bring as a starter. He just gets better and better each year.  If he takes another jump, it's going to take a very special player to move him to the bench.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The more I think of it, the more I disagree with this.  Another 2 that could score would be nice but I think you are way underestimating what Galloway can bring as a starter. He just gets better and better each year.  If he takes another jump, it's going to take a very special player to move him to the bench.

He seems like to me he disappears to much on offense especially on the road. He had the one good game on the road at Purdue but it seems like he plays better at home.

4 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

You mean or returning solid 2, that plays good defense and shot over 45%  on 3s?

Is this the same guy that avg. 6 points a game? 30-65 from 3? Thats 1.8 3 point attempts a game. Is this the volume knock down shooter that takes IU to a final four that we need? I love what Trey brings to the team but hell no he isn't that 2 guard we need to take volume shots. He needs to be wide open to get off a 3, shot is to slow.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He seems like to me he disappears to much on offense especially on the road. He had the one good game on the road at Purdue but it seems like he plays better at home.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/trey-galloway-1/splits/2023

It's marginal.  Some stats are better at home vs. the road, but he actually shot better from distance on the road last season.  Free throws were a different story, but overall...yeah, he probably played a little better at home vs. the road.  You also have to factor that the road schedule is always going to be tougher than the home schedule.

Trey's game has always been about "Team first, me third". I don't think he was ever encouraged to take more shots, but took them when they were wide open. Ja Morant he's not, but I'd take 5 of him on the team any day of the week. Plays his ass off.

IF he's encouraged to shoot more (based on what I've heard he's getting that encouragement) and he actually takes 4-7 shots from deep, a game, he could easily be a 10-15 pt guy, when you add his ability to get to the rim on top of 3's, as well as his bucket a game from a steal he makes on defense.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DWB said:

Trey's game has always been about "Team first, me third". I don't think he was ever encouraged to take more shots, but took them when they were wide open. Ja Morant he's not, but I'd take 5 of him on the team any day of the week. Plays his ass off.

IF he's encouraged to shoot more (based on what I've heard he's getting that encouragement) and he actually takes 4-7 shots from deep, a game, he could easily be a 10-15 pt guy, when you add his ability to get to the rim on top of 3's, as well as his bucket a game from a steal he makes on defense.

I want to see him posterize Edy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Is this the same guy that avg. 6 points a game? 30-65 from 3? Thats 1.8 3 point attempts a game. Is this the volume knock down shooter that takes IU to a final four that we need? I love what Trey brings to the team but hell no he isn't that 2 guard we need to take volume shots. He needs to be wide open to get off a 3, shot is to slow.

Nailed it IMO. I LOVE Trey, and don’t even care if he starts or doesn’t, but I’m in the same boat of needing a volume shooter. Whether that comes from the bench or starting idc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Nailed it IMO. I LOVE Trey, and don’t even care if he starts or doesn’t, but I’m in the same boat of needing a volume shooter. Whether that comes from the bench or starting idc. 

So what 3 point percentage would be acceptable for a volume shooter? 

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

That is what I have been saying is for us to be a contender we need to get a player better at the 2

I don’t think we need someone better than Trey, but I think our guard depth is our biggest weakness on paper right now. We don’t need to replace Trey, we just need another proven guard. Doesn’t matter if that’s a starter or a bench player, but you need more than two guards (and our two vets have a history of injuries). 

• Like 2

I'm not worried about Trey finding his minutes.  He can play 1-3.  He can also guard most teams better guard, just not blow by guys.  His minutes went up last season due to only playing alongside X and Jalen in the first 4 games, 5 if you count the 9 mins that X played vs Kansas.   

Interesting to note.  He didn't start any of those games and averaged 20 mins a game.