Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

34 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Good luck, Southern Miss. 

32 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Dude is a trainwreck.  Good miss for the Hoosiers on that one.

I don't know...I kinda feel bad for him...the concussion stuff messed him up, and getting basically axed by Underwood after the loss to Houston didn't help...the discipline problems at St Johns was all his doing, but you do have to wonder how much the head trauma had to do with that...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Unless someone can convince me that this guy is better than the 24 guys we’re in on, then we should pass. 
Again, we don’t need someone tying up a scholarship for multiple years if we want to bring in the best talent in the next two classes 

I agree. Unless someone is a homerun or a 5th year I doubt staff is interested. That last scholly is worth more than gold!

Edit: I’d almost bet that last scholly is being used as a carrot for the 24’s. It’s waiting for you but it won’t wait long!

Edited by Drroogh

11 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I agree. Unless someone is a homerun or a 5th year I doubt staff is interested. That last scholly is worth more than gold!

Edit: I’d almost bet that last scholly is being used as a carrot for the 24’s. It’s waiting for you but it won’t wait long!

It’s the last scholly for this year, but not the only available for next year (right?) So not much of a carrot I think. But sure would be nice for someone to announce.

13 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

It’s the last scholly for this year, but not the only available for next year (right?) So not much of a carrot I think. But sure would be nice for someone to announce.

Unless you pick up a 5th year player, that 23 also becomes a 24 scholly. But yeah it’s time for some 24 action!

I personally think the narrative about avoiding taking in a player with multiple years left is a bit extreme. I would agree with that narrative if the player in question is a low 3 star 2023 recruit or a below average portal player. But if you’ve got a true impact portal player or one of these recent 4 star 2023 recruits I say we give it a shot.

We’re worried about not having enough spots for some of the 2024 studs that we’re recruiting, but the reality is we will not land all of these guys. Also, we can expect a handful of players to leave every year (portal, NBA, etc) given the new landscape of college basketball. There is much more flexibility in constructing a roster than ever before, and I think we should take advantage of it rather than handicapping ourselves.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Unless someone can convince me that this guy is better than the 24 guys we’re in on, then we should pass. 
Again, we don’t need someone tying up a scholarship for multiple years if we want to bring in the best talent in the next two classes 

Realistically we have Leal, X, MM, Ware, and Walker gone after this year at a minimum. Not sure banking the scholarship makes a ton of sense with that many already open. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 02Hoosier said:

I personally think the narrative about avoiding taking in a player with multiple years left is a bit extreme. I would agree with that narrative if the player in question is a low 3 star 2023 recruit or a below average portal player. But if you’ve got a true impact portal player or one of these recent 4 star 2023 recruits I say we give it a shot.

We’re worried about not having enough spots for some of the 2024 studs that we’re recruiting, but the reality is we will not land all of these guys. Also, we can expect a handful of players to leave every year (portal, NBA, etc) given the new landscape of college basketball. There is much more flexibility in constructing a roster than ever before, and I think we should take advantage of it rather than handicapping ourselves.

Yeah...as of now, the projected 2024 class size is 3-5.  There will be enough spots for the best guys IU is recruiting.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not proposing banking it. Get a one year guy.

If we can I agree, a guard comparable to Walker would be great. But if not I’m okay with another freshman that can compete with for backup minutes with 5 open scholarships minimum next year. 

2 hours ago, 02Hoosier said:

100% agree.  Get the best guys we can get, for exactly the reasons you stated, and if guys from the 2024 class really want to come here and are worried about not having a spot, maybe it's time for them to think about committing. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am thinking we are underestimating how good Newton can be this year. If he wasn't injured most of this year he would probably would have been ranked a lot higher.

Wasn’t he too 75 before the injuries? Or am I making that up?