Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

6 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm not worried about Trey finding his minutes.  He can play 1-3.  He can also guard most teams better guard, just not blow by guys.  His minutes went up last season due to only playing alongside X and Jalen in the first 4 games, 5 if you count the 9 mins that X played vs Kansas.   

Interesting to note.  He didn't start any of those games and averaged 20 mins a game.  

He’s pretty much averaged at least 20 every year he’s been here when healthy. Trey is going to play - I think the need for another guard is about guys not named X and Trey. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm not worried about Trey finding his minutes.  He can play 1-3.  He can also guard most teams better guard, just not blow by guys.  His minutes went up last season due to only playing alongside X and Jalen in the first 4 games, 5 if you count the 9 mins that X played vs Kansas.   

Interesting to note.  He didn't start any of those games and averaged 20 mins a game.  

The bolded is what I worry! Just like last year X goes down we don’t have that guy?! I’m not in anyway in the court of we need an Gallo replacement, I’m firmly in the court of we need an X backup!?!?

17 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

The bolded is what I worry! Just like last year X goes down we don’t have that guy?! I’m not in anyway in the court of we need an Gallo replacement, I’m firmly in the court of we need an X backup!?!?

I'm OK with back up point guarding by committee with Cupps and Trey.  However I want one more dude with some elite speed/athleticism that can also get to the rack at will.  Preferably at least a 35% three point shooter.  Going to be lots of open lanes and kick outs with a full crew.  

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm OK with back up point guarding by committee with Cupps and Trey.  However I want one more dude with some elite speed/athleticism that can also get to the rack at will.  Preferably at least a 35% three point shooter.  Going to be lots of open lanes and kick outs with a full crew.  

Even though we’re coming at it from different directions, I think we both see the need for another someone not just able to get to the rack but in my mind someone able to stay in front of! We don’t heaven forbid need X going down again and Boo Buie going off again!?!??!?!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Cam Spencer visiting 4 schools...

UConn, Miami, UCLA and Oklahoma.

Link

Thanks.  Sounds like the staff is more interested in a few players that may withdraw from the draft.  Also sounds like they are not dead set on a 2 or even filling the scholarship unless they get exactly what they want. 

That tells me they are not nearly as convinced of a need at the guard position as a lot of forum members are.

Edit:  It also leads me to believe that Caleb Love was never a serious candidate for the roster.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Caleb Love to Arizona.

“Arizona’s up-tempo offense relies on sharing the ball (the Wildcats have ranked in the top five nationally in assist rate in both seasons under Lloyd), while Love has a reputation as a ball-stopper.”

“On the other hand, the Love fit in Arizona is highly appealing if he fully buys in. An up-tempo offense with good spacing and other ballhandlers is precisely the type of system that Love should thrive in.”

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2023/05/30/why-unc-transfer-caleb-love-worth-risk-arizona

4 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

“Arizona’s up-tempo offense relies on sharing the ball (the Wildcats have ranked in the top five nationally in assist rate in both seasons under Lloyd), while Love has a reputation as a ball-stopper.”

“On the other hand, the Love fit in Arizona is highly appealing if he fully buys in. An up-tempo offense with good spacing and other ballhandlers is precisely the type of system that Love should thrive in.”

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2023/05/30/why-unc-transfer-caleb-love-worth-risk-arizona

If he buys in….if, if, if…if my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle.

I doubt he buys in at this point…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, gnet550 said:

If he buys in….if, if, if…if my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle.

I doubt he buys in at this point…

He might, simply because he realizes this is his last shot at the big show.  If he burns this bridge, he's Ja Morant with less talent and athleticism.

Still not a risk I wanted to see Woody take with a good group of kids.  I'm glad he's going to AZ.

22 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

He might, simply because he realizes this is his last shot at the big show.  If he burns this bridge, he's Ja Morant with less talent and athleticism.

Still not a risk I wanted to see Woody take with a good group of kids.  I'm glad he's going to AZ.

I still wanted him.  Because if he buys in, we win, if he doesn't, Woody puts his ass on the bench and we win because he isn't playing for someone else.  Win/Win either way

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I still wanted him.  Because if he buys in, we win, if he doesn't, Woody puts his ass on the bench and we win because he isn't playing for someone else.  Win/Win either way

A disgruntled player that is sitting the bench can cause as much trouble than a player that is playing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

A disgruntled player that is sitting the bench can cause as much trouble than a player that is playing.

I’m sure he would get dismissed. Imo if he was serious about Indiana and buying into Woodys coaching he would have came. Imo he is about himself…not that makes him a bad person or much different from most other kids. He can see his dream slipping away and he sees this as his last chance. He obviously wants to go somewhere to best showcase his abilities and I don’t blame him. IU probably wasn’t the best fit..and that’s ok. It won’t be best for all but hopefully we get the right balance of kids.

Edited by dgambill

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Imagine that…a basketball player at Kentucky been in school 4 years and still doesn’t have his degree…we see a lot of kids graduating in 3 years at a lot of schools.