Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

20 minutes ago, jay edwards brother said:

So we still have options for that final spot.

1. Antonio Reeves-shooter, scorer, not much of a defender.

2. Simeon Wilcher-combo guard who wants to play point and probably expects starter minutes.

3. Paul Mulcahey-pass first point, not much of a scorer but an intense competitor. also good size at 6'7"

Do we take any of these three?

I think any of the 3 could add value to the team, but Mulcahey is intriguing.  A senior with Big10 experience and good size that could play/guard multiple positions.  8.4 Pts, 3.6 Reb and 4.9 Ast (lead Rutgers) and not a bad 3Pt shooter either at 37%.  He is probably the kind of guy that Woody will like.  He has a high motor and is a good passer and would do all the little things.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, jay edwards brother said:

2. Simeon Wilcher-combo guard who wants to play point and probably expects starter minutes.

3. Paul Mulcahey-pass first point, not much of a scorer but an intense competitor. also good size at 6'7"

Yes…and in the order you listed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Between2Halls said:

This is interesting:

Fighting through a shoulder injury most of the season, Mulcahy struggled the last month plus of the 2022-2023 campaign. 

In the final 11 games of the season, he averaged just 6.5 points on just 37.5% shooting from the floor.

He struggled mentally and physically, both with pressure and injury. He was less vocal, less assertive while looking unhappy and uncomfortable. With Rutgers going just 3-8 during those last 11 games, all without Mawot Mag, no player symbolized those struggles more than Mulcahy. Criticism of his play was warranted, but with the understanding that the person was going through a lot. He became a target of a portion of the fan base and took a lot of blame, some fair and some not.

The idea of some that Rutgers would be better off without Mulcahy next season is ridiculous. And now with the unexpected departure of Spencer, his former roommate, he’s more important than he’s ever been.

https://thescarletfaithful.com/paul-mulcahy-has-never-been-more-important-rutgers-mens-basketball/

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jay edwards brother said:

I’d take any of them for the final spot. And Paul would be just fine in terms of scoring for us, he can hit an open three. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jay edwards brother said:

Reeves in a heart beat. That would alleviate the pressure to be a reliable and consistent volume scorer from Galloway/Gunn and wouldn’t take up a scholarship. 

Wilcher is definitely intriguing but I would probably prefer taking our chances at landing one of Fland/Harper/transfer portal stud to run the offense next year.

That said, with the immediate transfer rule, I’d be happy to add any of them since it’s really hard to gauge next years roster. 

• Like 3

IMO, Mulcahey is a 50/50 proposition at best--

Pros- he knows the B1G and where the weaknesses exist in teams

- he is the kind of guy we always clamor for. Guy that opposing teams hate. Would give us an edge that 

we haven't had of recent years.

Cons- he is limited. I do not see him being the interchangeable guy the CMW is recruiting. I don't see him able

to guard 1-3. I think his deficiencies were hidden by one of the best defensive players in the country, 

and to a lesser extent, the big protecting the rim.

To me, Mulcahey would be a step in reverse to how CMW is trying to build his roster. His attributes are things not necessarily measurable on the court. I don't know anything about Reeves or Wilcher other than what has been posted here, but I would take either of those guys over Mulcahey.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Please!

6929442E-821C-4B2D-8414-0C29B77CE679.png

Ya know, he'd be a nice player for a one-year rental, but the reason I would want this more than anything else is to stick it in the eye of every hilljack uncle-brother couch-burning pUKe fan that laughed at IU when they were down.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Great take from a Rupp Rafters poster:

“We're just throwing darts at the wall. Any wall we can find. 

Eat first? If this were Thanksgiving, we'd be eating at the card table in the hallway with the grandkids.”

Makes me wonder what their hot-shot incoming class is thinking seeing all of this...

• Like 1