Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I dont even care about scholarships anymore or having enough for the next class, etc.  

At this point with the portal, NIL, everyone being able to declare for the draft, you fill your team for that year and worry about the rest later. 

You're going to lose guys, there will be scholarships open. As a coach, you have to worry about the next season. 

Kids got their money….there are consequences with turning college basketball into a business. One is if you don’t perform you will be replaced. The time of a 4 year offer are long gone. Kids aren’t committing for a scholarship anymore. They are committing for $$. Scholarships imo are year to year in the new NIL era. Sad I know but there are consequences to opening up this Pandora’s box.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Kids got their money….there are consequences with turning college basketball into a business. One is if you don’t perform you will be replaced. The time of a 4 year offer are long gone. Kids aren’t committing for a scholarship anymore. They are committing for $$. Scholarships imo are year to year in the new NIL era. Sad I know but there are consequences to opening up this Pandora’s box.

I think it’s more sad for fans than the players. I am guessing the players quite like this new system. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think it’s more sad for fans than the players. I am guessing the players quite like this new system. 

I will be interested to see how this system plays out in a few years.  A whole bunch of money being thrown out and I wonder what that looks like down the road if/when results don't follow.

51 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I will be interested to see how this system plays out in a few years.  A whole bunch of money being thrown out and I wonder what that looks like down the road if/when results don't follow.

Then less money gets thrown around. From the very beginning I hypothesized that a market would be established, but it'd take 5 or so years. 

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Hilarious 

“Huggins said he thought “outside influences” played a big part in Tshiebwe leaving. The player said only that it was for “personal reasons” when he decided to leave at midseason.”

“I think it’s the world we live in,” Huggins said on ‘The Bob Huggins Show’ after Tshiebwe announced he was going to UK.”It’s better to steal than it is to work and earn things.

“It’s take the easy way out, and I think there were some people involved who saw where they could benefit, maybe profit, and worked very diligently at trying to get him out.”

https://www.yoursportsedge.com/2021/01/14/bob-huggins-says-outside-influences-played-role-in-oscar-tshiebwe-transferring-to-kentucky/vaughts-views/larryvaught/

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Hilarious 

“Huggins said he thought “outside influences” played a big part in Tshiebwe leaving. The player said only that it was for “personal reasons” when he decided to leave at midseason.”

“I think it’s the world we live in,” Huggins said on ‘The Bob Huggins Show’ after Tshiebwe announced he was going to UK.”It’s better to steal than it is to work and earn things.

“It’s take the easy way out, and I think there were some people involved who saw where they could benefit, maybe profit, and worked very diligently at trying to get him out.”

https://www.yoursportsedge.com/2021/01/14/bob-huggins-says-outside-influences-played-role-in-oscar-tshiebwe-transferring-to-kentucky/vaughts-views/larryvaught/

Hasn't Huggins coached college ball for like 40 years?  He described to a t exactly how it works for many of these kids, families,  and camps.  

I also don't see him out here crying grapes after the portal haul he was able to buy this offseason.   

53 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

6FB1B900-367E-4DDD-8EAF-97D2FD262E71.png

He’s from Illinois. My guess is he needs a few classes to open up his transfer options, so he took the in-state route to get those classes.

Given the history of Michigan struggling to get transfers in, I’m wondering if this is a sign he is going there and needs to do this so he can get admitted. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 2

So we still have options for that final spot.

1. Antonio Reeves-shooter, scorer, not much of a defender.

2. Simeon Wilcher-combo guard who wants to play point and probably expects starter minutes.

3. Paul Mulcahey-pass first point, not much of a scorer but an intense competitor. also good size at 6'7"

Do we take any of these three?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jay edwards brother said:

So we still have options for that final spot.

1. Antonio Reeves-shooter, scorer, not much of a defender.

2. Simeon Wilcher-combo guard who wants to play point and probably expects starter minutes.

3. Paul Mulcahey-pass first point, not much of a scorer but an intense competitor. also good size at 6'7"

Do we take any of these three?

Take ‘em all! Oversign for the win. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1