Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

Could be all that dirty money used to buy recruits in the past is still dirty money and doesn’t translate to NIL???

I think that dirty money is a drop in the bucket compared to NIL potential for a top rated kid...is even the wealthiest booster going to get off the $875K Trayce is estimated to have raked in? That kind of money is hard to hide too...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I think that dirty money is a drop in the bucket compared to NIL potential for a top rated kid...is even the wealthiest booster going to get off the $875K Trayce is estimated to have raked in? That kind of money is hard to hide too...

It’s no longer go get that kid a car! Now they buy their own Mercedes 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So while wondering why Kentucky and Cal are getting spurned by a lot of portal players, I ran across this article...

Kentucky is 12th in SEC NIL rankings in front of only Missouri and Vandy...12th...

So that tells me 2 things...NIL is the driving force in recruiting, especially in the portal, and rusted Maxwell House cans full of pennies, nickels, and dimes (and the occasional washer) don't go as far as they used to...

The word at Rupp Rafters is that Cal doesn't want to give away any roster control to placate the collectives...and it's killing them...

Thank God our admin saw this coming and set our program up for success...

It seems like football money is driving the collectives in the SEC, which is of no surprise. Arkansas is one spot above UK and they seem to be doing fine in the portal, so I'm not sure how strong the correlation is. 

I think UK's problem is two-fold: 1. Schools are now on a more level playing field. 2. NIL is keeping good players in college - revamping rosters with 5 star freshmen is not proving to be as effective. Cal needs to adapt to the times. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

It seems like football money is driving the collectives in the SEC, which is of no surprise. Arkansas is one spot above UK and they seem to be doing fine in the portal, so I'm not sure how strong the correlation is. 

I agree football is the driving force.

But NIL is certainly a driving force in basketball recruiting, and the trials of Kentucky in procuring talent from the portal stem more from Cal's views on NIL and how they've been slow to embrace it, at least according to the vast majority of their fanbase, including "insiders." 

They only have 7 players for next year...5 freshman and 2 lightly used sophs...they went after a lot of portal entries...but have come up empty beyond getting their own player back (if that's the case)...

There's a difference in having the resources (as I'm sure Arkansas and every other team in the SEC does) and using those resources to the maximum extent possible...

3 hours ago, Bville_Hoosier said:

Seems like Reeves will indeed head back to UK in a crazy turn of events. Cal backed the Brinks truck up apparently.

Or he couldn’t graduate and thus had to return to school…since he has already transferred in to UK he can’t transfer out immediately unless he is a grad transfer.

14 hours ago, Bville_Hoosier said:

Seems like Reeves will indeed head back to UK in a crazy turn of events. Cal backed the Brinks truck up apparently.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Or he couldn’t graduate and thus had to return to school…since he has already transferred in to UK he can’t transfer out immediately unless he is a grad transfer.

So the 3 scenarios in "As the Trailer Park Turns" this morning are:

He's happily coming back of his own volition spiced with some NIL bucks via Calipari's 'The LaFamilia Club' a new fundraising effort to maintain Kentucky’s gold standard in the sport. 

OR

Calipari is holding the kid "hostage" knowing he can't get his degree this summer

OR 

He's taking courses and will have his degree in hand in August and will transfer to either Michigan or Indiana

You can't make this stuff up...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So the 3 scenarios in "As the Trailer Park Turns" this morning are:

He's happily coming back of his own volition spiced with some NIL bucks via Calipari's 'The LaFamilia Club' a new fundraising effort to maintain Kentucky’s gold standard in the sport. 

OR

Calipari is holding the kid "hostage" knowing he can't get his degree this summer

OR 

He's taking courses and will have his degree in hand in August and will transfer to either Michigan or Indiana

You can't make this stuff up...

If he couldn't be here until August, I wouldn't take him.  Too much team building going on over the summer to throw in a guy that is going to expect shots right before school starts.  IMO

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If he couldn't be here until August, I wouldn't take him.  Too much team building going on over the summer to throw in a guy that is going to expect shots right before school starts.  IMO

I’d still take him. He increases the potential of the team by a pretty large amount with his ability to hit shots and score on the perimeter. That said I don’t think he’s going anywhere. 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

I’d still take him. He increases the potential of the team by a pretty large amount with his ability to hit shots and score on the perimeter. That said I don’t think he’s going anywhere. 

By that point I think you have already had the team committed around the 2G/Wings we already have on the team.  Ohio State showed last year that amassing talent isn't always the answer.  I would be more in if he was on campus going through the same kind of team building that occurs with those guys being together every day and going through workouts.  If some dude shows up and yanks a starting spot (or major minutes) that can go two ways.

Like you, I doubt we have to worry about it.

57 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I am in no-way a Calipari defender, but what is the hostage move?  Either he graduates this summer or he doesn't.  I am not sure how Calipari controls anything.

Yeah. I'm not sure if that guy on the podcast knows what 'loophole' means. If it means that you need to graduate to be a 'grad transfer'; that isn't a loophole, it's just comprehension of the obvious. haha

Now, if Cal is putting pressure on professors to not pass the kids so he doesn't get the credits needed to graduate, THAT is holding hostage. BUT I don't think Cal would ever do that....he may be sh*tty, but he's not that sh*tty. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Now, if Cal is putting pressure on professors to not pass the kids so he doesn't get the credits needed to graduate, THAT is holding hostage. BUT I don't think Cal would ever do that....he may be sh*tty, but he's not that sh*tty. 

Supposedly Reeves is enrolled at his original school, Illinois State...if Cal has that kind of influence I'd be really impressed 🙂

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Yeah. I'm not sure if that guy on the podcast knows what 'loophole' means. If it means that you need to graduate to be a 'grad transfer'; that isn't a loophole, it's just comprehension of the obvious. haha

He may be a turd..but he isn’t a corn filled turd lol! 😂

Oh, and as far as Cal's "The LaFamilia Club" goes, I've watched enough Mafia movies to know "LaFamilia" is translated to "the family."

So Cal's "club" is "The The Family Club." 

Considering his audience, maybe that was on purpose 🙂

Edited by IUFLA

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Now I'm confused. 

The word on Rupp Rafters was, he enrolled for the summer semester at Illinois State, his original school, to finish his degree and enter the portal as a grad transfer...

Without his degree, he's pretty much bound to Kentucky...if he had his diploma, he's a free agent...

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Now I'm confused. 

He is taking summer classes at Illinois St to get the final credits to graduate because it appears a lot didn’t transfer to UK and so he is trying to get his degree at ISU. If he does he will be a graduate and can transfer out if he wants. If he doesn’t get his degree he is stuck at UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The word on Rupp Rafters was, he enrolled for the summer semester at Illinois State, his original school, to finish his degree and enter the portal as a grad transfer...

Without his degree, he's pretty much bound to Kentucky...if he had his diploma, he's a free agent...

Beat me to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

He is taking summer classes at Illinois St to get the final credits to graduate because it appears a lot didn’t transfer to UK and so he is trying to get his degree at ISU. 

How bad is Illinois State that credits don’t transfer to Kentucky? I guess it’s like Chuck E Cheese not accepting a Little Caesars coupon

• Haha 5