Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

I think it's a no brainer! He is a one year guy, unless they are wanting a guy with a few years.

STATS
2022-23

GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
34 31.5 44.4 43.4 89.4 3.8 3.1 0.1 2.0 1.9 1.4 13.2

It's undoubtedly a no-brainer. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I think it's a no brainer! He is a one year guy, unless they are wanting a guy with a few years.

STATS
2022-23

GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
34 31.5 44.4 43.4 89.4 3.8 3.1 0.1 2.0 1.9 1.4 13.2

I dont know what they want., but i want a 1 year guy. Open that scholly back up for the '24 class.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kycarter88 said:

Cam Spencer or Caleb Love under the tutelage of Woodson, who ya got? 

From what little I know and have seen, I'll take Spencer all day long. He's one of the guys the opposing team loves to hate. And when he's hot....:D

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I would think some of these late entrants  to the portal would already have a strong idea where they already want ti go. Probably have had people contacting them for months. I wouldn’t think this late in the game they would be jumping out with no place to land.

Yeah, don't think there is much of a chance for us to land Spencer. 

• Like 1

Spencer would be a great add, but I think a lot would come down to what his goals are?

No matter what some think of him, the reality is we have a 4 year returner at that spot that played 27mpg last year, and Spencer also played over 30mpg. 

Hard sell to tell Galloway and Spencer that they'll be splitting time. I'd think Spencer's overriding reason for transferring would need to be straight up winning for that to happen. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

Spencer would be a great add, but I think a lot would come down to what his goals are?

No matter what some think of him, the reality is we have a 4 year returner at that spot that played 27mpg last year, and Spencer also played over 30mpg. 

Hard sell to tell Galloway and Spencer that they'll be splitting time. I'd think Spencer's overriding reason for transferring would need to be straight up winning for that to happen. 

Sounds like a lot of tampering is going on with Spencer with a team contacting him before he out his name in. The speculation is that Georgetown is the team and have been offering NIL money to get him to transfer. This is the kind of thing that I knew would happen with NIL and the portal. This isn't what college sports is supposed to be about

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Sounds like a lot of tampering is going on with Spencer with a team contacting him before he out his name in. The speculation is that Georgetown is the team and have been offering NIL money to get him to transfer. This is the kind of thing that I knew would happen with NIL and the portal. This isn't what college sports is supposed to be about

Where did you see that?  The NCAA being useless isn’t a great thing.  Ultimately this is a sport and by definition you need rules.  That’s part and parcel of any competitive league.   Their silence is deafening.

It also doesn’t take much imagination to consider the money sources demanding a say on who a school recruits. 

School Admin: “hey, we need a mil for Jimmy Cheese.  He’s a great QB prospect”

Bobby Booster: “ok, send me his film.”

two weeks later 

BB: “pass on Jimmy.  But I will write the check for Johnny C. Lately.  Or else no $$”

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Where did you see that?  The NCAA being useless isn’t a great thing.  Ultimately this is a sport and by definition you need rules.  That’s part and parcel of any competitive league.   Their silence is deafening.

It also doesn’t take much imagination to consider the money sources demanding a say on who a school recruits. 

School Admin: “hey, we need a mil for Jimmy Cheese.  He’s a great QB prospect”

Bobby Booster: “ok, send me his film.”

two weeks later 

BB: “pass on Jimmy.  But I will write the check for Johnny C. Lately.  Or else no $$”

On BTB 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I saw accusations of tampering in a few Twitter posts.  Unfortunately, NIL has pretty much de-fanged the NCAA.  The student-athlete has simply become the paid athlete who gets a free scholarship to rep the school.  That's very much going to be secondary to their NIL deals.

Just a matter of time until going to class becomes completely optional and this farce is completely exposed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I saw accusations of tampering in a few Twitter posts.  Unfortunately, NIL has pretty much de-fanged the NCAA.  The student-athlete has simply become the paid athlete who gets a free scholarship to rep the school.  That's very much going to be secondary to their NIL deals.

Just a matter of time until going to class becomes completely optional and this farce is completely exposed.

Eventually they will be employees of the school

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

The tampering should be and needs enforced. NIL has leveled the playing field for schools that didn't have bag men. I really don't understand your post. Schools aren't paying NIL. Boosters and Sponsors are.

16 hours ago, BGleas said:

I know everyone has said Mgbako is gonna play the 3....but I'm honestly not sold on it.    Kind of think 2/3 he, Malik, and Ware will split time and be used pretty interchangably, with Sparks and Walker being used situationally.  

If this were the case...then I think Spencer would be a perfect 3rd guard. 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

I know everyone has said Mgbako is gonna play the 3....but I'm honestly not sold on it.    Kind of think 2/3 he, Malik, and Ware will split time and be used pretty interchangably, with Sparks and Walker being used situationally.  

If this were the case...then I think Spencer would be a perfect 3rd guard. 

I see where you're coming from, though I don't agree. I don't think you get Mgbako if you're telling he might be the 4, and I'd assume Reneau would have transfered if you're trying to recruit over him for that spot. I also think Mgbako is a wing. 

With all that said, since the season has ended and with the way Woodson wants to play, I've felt Reneau is a bit of a square peg for a round hole. 

I think Woodson wants 4's more like Mgbako, Anthony Walker, going back to IU guys Troy Williams and Christian Walford. Josh Smith with the Hawks and playing Carmelo there some in NY. 

As talented as he is, and I'm a fan of him, Reneau is still more of a post-up, paint big. He's not super great defensively in terms of athleticism and switching and he fouls a lot. 

If I'm Reneau, I'm making 300-500 three's a day this offseason so I can be a stretch 4. If I'm Banks, I'm working my butt off this summer with the mentality that I'm beating Reneau out in the preseason so we have a super athletic, interchangeable Ware, Banks, Mgbako, Galloway, XJ lineup. 

But again at the end of the day I think Woodson sold Mgbako that at IU he WILL  be a wing and won't have to worry about defending bigs, etc., and I think Reneau starts at thr 4. I think the Anthony Walker recruitment and adding more depth at the 4 was part of that plan. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

If I'm Reneau, I'm making 300-500 three's a day this offseason so I can be a stretch 4

Amen...He showed decent form and touch on the 8 he took last year (made 2) but anything north of 30% would be acceptable to me from Malik...And Ware as well for that matter...

I also think that we'll see X and Galloway attack the rim more if we can spread the floor and not have one or two bigs within 6 feet of the basket...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I see where you're coming from, though I don't agree. I don't think you get Mgbako if you're telling he might be the 4, and I'd assume Reneau would have transfered if you're trying to recruit over him for that spot. I also think Mgbako is a wing. 

With all that said, since the season has ended and with the way Woodson wants to play, I've felt Reneau is a bit of a square peg for a round hole. 

I think Woodson wants 4's more like Mgbako, Anthony Walker, going back to IU guys Troy Williams and Christian Walford. Josh Smith with the Hawks and playing Carmelo there some in NY. 

As talented as he is, and I'm a fan of him, Reneau is still more of a post-up, paint big. He's not super great defensively in terms of athleticism and switching and he fouls a lot. 

If I'm Reneau, I'm making 300-500 three's a day this offseason so I can be a stretch 4. If I'm Banks, I'm working my butt off this summer with the mentality that I'm beating Reneau out in the preseason so we have a super athletic, interchangeable Ware, Banks, Mgbako, Galloway, XJ lineup. 

But again at the end of the day I think Woodson sold Mgbako that at IU he WILL  be a wing and won't have to worry about defending bigs, etc., and I think Reneau starts at thr 4. I think the Anthony Walker recruitment and adding more depth at the 4 was part of that plan. 

Great points.  The other thing with Reneau is hitting the weight room hard.  The kid is blessed with a great frame but if he is committed with Clif all offseason he can really re-shape his body.  He’s not obese or anything but he can convert baby fat to muscle IMO.   If he re-shapes his body, I think he can be a step quicker on D and be more switchable.  It might help with his conditioning and fouls.  If you’re in awesome shape, you can move your feet that much quicker and you won’t lunge or use your hands as much on D.  The net effect is he won’t foul as much and will be able to stay on the floor.  

I love what we’ve done with our new front court.  Couldn’t be happier.  But not a single one of them is proven for heavy minutes at this level.  Huge offseason for the whole crew  both in the weight room and in the gym.  

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Amen...He showed decent form and touch on the 8 he took last year (made 2) but anything north of 30% would be acceptable to me from Malik...And Ware as well for that matter...

I also think that we'll see X and Galloway attack the rim more if we can spread the floor and not have one or two bigs within 6 feet of the basket...

Absolutely! Completely agree with all of that. I know we're all clamoring for a Galloway replacement, but I'm excited to see him in a style more like you're describing. 

I still think we need another guard on the roster, but I'm not of the mentality that it should be a Galloway replacement in the lineup. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Indykev said:

The tampering should be and needs enforced. NIL has leveled the playing field for schools that didn't have bag men. I really don't understand your post. Schools aren't paying NIL. Boosters and Sponsors are.

I agree. The school first idea for the best of the best was always a "farce". At least now the NIL has evened the playing field with the schools who were hiding in dark alleys with a briefcase full of $. The NIL and recruiting definitely needs some fine tuning. Also, once the "unlimited" covid transfers go away, things will settle down. 

• Like 2