Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

AJ Storr is what I envision Mac being if he sticks around next year. At the under 16, Storr has 10 points already 

Mac had 6 at the under 1830 the other night but only finished with 11.  

Goodness.  Didn't realize how much he's been struggling.  He's 8 of 31 the last 2 games.

8 hours ago, ledies22 said:

But that doesnt explain when Edey goes on the road and gets the same coddling. or XJ being reviewed the other night that was not even close to being needed.

I think their are coaches that can work officials better than others. 

I think there's still a caste type system, stars get more calls. Upperclassmen get more calls then freshmen. Not as bad as the NBA but it's there. And they still just mess up calls, too.

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Courtney Green did the Purdue-Northwestern game last night

Unfortunately he's still doing a lot of Big Ten games.

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

A lot if it is due to the playing style of the top coaches in the league. I still blame this for why the big ten doesn't bget a lot of top recruits

Probably. Big Ten doesn't get as many athletes as SEC/B12 so lends itself to a more physical style.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

AJ Storr is what I envision Mac being if he sticks around next year. At the under 16, Storr has 10 points already 

Man, wish we could have kept that commitment. He's better than expected.

Edited by BruceDouglas

23 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

I think there's still a caste type system, stars get more calls. Upperclassmen get more calls then freshmen. Not as bad as the NBA but it's there. And they still just mess up calls, too.

Unfortunately he's still doing a lot of Big Ten games.

Probably. Big Ten doesn't get as many athletes as SEC/B12 so lends itself to a more physical style.

Man, wish we could have kept that commitment. He's better than expected.

What happened with the Storr commitment?

16 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Damn, @ledies22 you got me listening to that podcast again. He gave some interesting general numbers at the end that I might've missed the first time. 

He said in a typical game there's an average of 140 possessions, usually averaging 6 missed calls per game. Approximately 2 per ref. The conference does send officials tapes of these missed calls. Sometimes, the officials aren't even in the position to see the infraction. Typical there's 6 to 7 camera angles of the missed calls; many times only 1 of those angles will actually capture the bad call. Even so, if they see an official is missing 5 calls in a game (for example), they'll sit down and have a talk with him. If it's a pattern, they'll give them less games the next year. 

Maybe this is what happened to Scrote.

Now that has me more concerned. It's a bigger issue than just the officials.

3 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Now that has me more concerned. It's a bigger issue than just the officials.

How so? For the record, I think 2 missed calls per official is supposed to be good - taking into account the speed of the game in real time and all the viewing angles a human can not possibly cover. 

The conference reviews every game, gives officials constant feed back to make them better, retains good officials and phases out bad officials. Again, these guys aren’t employed by the B1G, they are independent contractors. 

The NBA has the best officials, but they pay them a lot more. So we, and other major conferences, are getting the second best pool of basketball officials available. I know it’s easy to say ‘get better officials’, but from where? The NBA officials aren’t going to step down to our league. And the the pool of upcoming officials is dwindling because parents in youth and high school sports are a-holes. Haha.  Maybe this is the bigger issue. I’ve seen kids and part-time high school officials getting berated by parents and coaches. It’s so f’ing embarrassing. Our high school AD was saying we’ve had to cancel/move games because we can’t can’t get officials on some nights. So many have quit because the $75 a game (or whatever it is) is not worth being a punching bag.  

• Like 3

Just now, tdhoosier said:

How so? For the record, I think 2 missed calls per official is supposed to be good - taking into account the speed of the game in real time and all the viewing angles a human can not possibly cover. 

The conference reviews every game, gives officials constant feed back to make them better, retains good officials and phases out bad officials. Again, these guys aren’t employed by the B1G, they are independent contractors. 

The NBA has the best officials, but they pay them a lot more. So we, and other major conferences, are getting the second best pool of basketball officials available. I know it’s easy to say ‘get better officials’, but from where? The NBA officials aren’t going to step down to our league. And the the pool of upcoming officials is dwindling because parents in youth and high school sports are a-holes. Haha.  Maybe this is the bigger issue. I’ve seen kids and part-time high school officials getting berated by parents and coaches. It’s so f’ing embarrassing. Our high school AD was saying we’ve had to cancel/move games because we can’t can’t get officials on some nights. So many have quit because the $75 a game (or whatever it is) is not worth being a punching bag.  

No, I think the 6 missed calls/game is really good, but I dont believe the number. I would love to sit in these meetings to see what they are saying. Does this include every play where a foul wasn't called and should have been? Or is it just when the whistles were blown and anything egregious outside of that?

This is where I am more concerned. There are more than 6 missed calls per game, at least for how I would want the games to be called. Meaning, the bigger issue is that the B1G doesn't see a problem in general with how the games are officiated. So nothing will change.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DWB said:

Now multiply that by 100, and you'll be just behind all of the PUke posts....  :D

Find it wild that Turdue fans would spend enough time on a rival's message board to post 6.6k times and 1.9k times. 

I've been here forever and have 1.9k posts and I know you've been around forever and have 2.2k

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Way back when, I was a ref for basketball. We were taught that since there are 3 officials, you have specific sq ft areas that you are responsible for.

How many times have you seen a call made from a ref that is the furthest away from the play? More often than you think. Not his responsibility to make the call. He's calling a play outside of his zone of coverage. But refs these days watch the play on the ball more than fans do, instead of watching what's going on in their area of responsibility.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

No, I think the 6 missed calls/game is really good, but I dont believe the number. I would love to sit in these meetings to see what they are saying. Does this include every play where a foul wasn't called and should have been? Or is it just when the whistles were blown and anything egregious outside of that?

This is where I am more concerned. There are more than 6 missed calls per game, at least for how I would want the games to be called. Meaning, the bigger issue is that the B1G doesn't see a problem in general with how the games are officiated. So nothing will change.

I'd recommend listening to the podcast so you can hear it straight from the horse's mouth. It's hard for me to relay the info without the benefit of context.....or remember what was exactly said. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DWB said:

Way back when, I was a ref for basketball. We were taught that since there are 3 officials, you have specific sq ft areas that you are responsible for.

How many times have you seen a call made from a ref that is the furthest away from the play? More often than you think. Not his responsibility to make the call. He's calling a play outside of his zone of coverage. But refs these days watch the play on the ball more than fans do, instead of watching what's going on in their area of responsibility.

The worst is when an official who is furthest away overrules the closest official, when that official didn't ask for assistance. 

• Like 1