Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

I didn't watch the game last night. I've watched both teams play before, and in terms of officiating, there has to be an in-between. 

Edey clearly gets into the heads of officials. I will admit he's an anomaly to officiate, but that shouldn't be an excuse to let him do whatever he wants to do, and go where he wants to go. 

On the other side, it's coaches like Collins that are not helping the league. I can't stand watching NW games because their guards get away with hand-checking and bulldozing though screens. It turns into mud pit wrestling. Apparently is was Collins strategy last night if he truly said that they were going to use all their fouls. 

After seeing that box score, I want to say: good, NW finally got called out on their crap. BUT WHY does the beneficiary have to be PU, who lately, seems to be getting all the calls? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I didn't watch the game last night. I've watched both teams play before, and in terms of officiating, there has to be an in-between. 

Edey clearly gets into the heads of officials. I will admit he's an anomaly to officiate, but that shouldn't be an excuse to let him do whatever he wants to do, and go where he wants to go. 

On the other side, it's coaches like Collins that are not helping the league. I can't stand watching NW games because their guards get away with hand-checking and bulldozing though screens. It turns into mud pit wrestling. Apparently is was Collins strategy last night if he truly said that they were going to use all their fouls. 

After seeing that box score, I want to say: good, NW finally got called out on their crap. BUT WHY does the beneficiary have to be PU, who lately, seems to be getting all the calls? 

I don’t think it’s so much that NW didn’t foul a lot: they did.

It’s that Purdue never gets called for it. It’s delusional to think that a D1 basketball team playing a game the other team is making as physical as possible can go nearly halfway through the second half without being called for a single foul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, rogue3542 said:

I don’t think it’s so much that NW didn’t foul a lot: they did.

It’s that Purdue never gets called for it. It’s delusional to think that a D1 basketball team playing a game the other team is making as physical as possible can go nearly halfway through the second half without being called for a single foul.

I think the way Purdue is officiated goes way back to the ‘80s with Gene Keady.  He started bringing guys like Jim Rowinski in, putting them in the weight room, and having them go on the court and play like a snow plow.  Every time the officials would call a foul, Keady would run up and down the sideline screaming “that’s bullshit” and before long the officials started backing down, and thus Purdue “established that’s the way they play.”  Likely also the reason Keady never did squat in the tournament.

2 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Last night’s officiating crew should be suspended immediately! They even missed the last play when Jones clearly hooked the NW player before he fell down out of bounds…and yes, a foul on NW.

Just wait until the tournament when they’re up against a SEC or an ACC officiating crew…they’re toast.

I was talking to one of my colleagues at school who's an IU fan and mentioned the shocking foul disparity. We both agreed about how poorly the BIGTEN officiating has been over the last several year with all teams. They seem to always look really good with BIGTEN officials, but when they start the NCAA tourney they look like different team. I will credit (non-BIGTEN) officials for having something to do with that.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

In two games, PU attempted 87 FTs against NW. Difference was in Evanston, NW attempted 32, but 8 in WeLaf. NW is just the better team and exposed PU. Teams with quick guards who can score will be the end of the Boilers. 

I think the formula was established last season when we swept them and they lost to a #16 seed that done the same essentially.  

5 minutes ago, Courtsensetwo said:

Win a close game, come to IU site for validation. Adorable.

Exactly,.....they are wanting to see how many people are bi*ching about Purdue's team and Edey's foul discrepancy.

You can't tell me that Purdue fans and even the players are like,.... "Wow, I can't believe they didn't call a foul on that.....!!" Every game seems to be like the players are untouchable....

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

In two games, PU attempted 87 FTs against NW. Difference was in Evanston, NW attempted 32, but 8 in WeLaf. NW is just the better team and exposed PU. Teams with quick guards who can score will be the end of the Boilers. 

Don’t think they’re the better team at all. They shot well above their season average from 3 in both games (50% in Evanston and 51.9% last night). Only reason it was close was Purdue shooting well below their normal FT percentage. 

Purdue has played (and beaten) plenty of teams with quick guards that can score this year. What will end our season will probably be if we have a really bad shooting night like last year. 

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I guess Collins wasn’t wrong after getting ejected?!

"I'm not going to go into the officiating," said Collins. "I just don't know if I've ever seen a box score like that. I don't know if I've ever seen a [free throw] disparity like that."

He’s not great at math apparently. 

57 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think the formula was established last season when we swept them and they lost to a #16 seed that done the same essentially.  

You think that’s why we lost? We gave up 61 points lol. We lost because we couldn’t hit a 3 to save our lives. 

41 minutes ago, toonsquad said:

Fairly unbiased few from a couple college basketball fans who are tired of the way Edey is being officiated. 

You think Mark Titus is fairly unbiased?! Dude is a known Purdue hater mostly due to his dad whose takes are hilariously bad. And it’s ironic because his mom played at Purdue. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You think that’s why we lost? We gave up 61 points lol. We lost because we couldn’t hit a 3 to save our lives. 

Look at the game at IU last year. JHS ran the same play about a dozen times to take a shot from about 15ft. Hit about all of them. 

If I can notice that then surely Painter could have tried to stop it. 

You gave up 61 pts because those guards were too quick. 

Edited by mrflynn03

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Look at the game at IU last year. JHS ran the same play about a dozen times to take a shot from about 15ft. Hit about all of them. 

If I can notice that then surely Painter could have tried to stop it. 

You gave up 61 pts because those guards were too quick. 

You tip your cap to JHS. Those are low percentage shots and he hit a lot of them. 

Giving up 61 points isn’t why we lost. I can probably count on one hand how many times we’ve given up 61 and lost. 

15 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You think Mark Titus is fairly unbiased?! Dude is a known Purdue hater mostly due to his dad whose takes are hilariously bad. And it’s ironic because his mom played at Purdue. 

The guy is an OSU grad who grew up in a split household. He's way more unbiased about the situation than you or I. 

28 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Put the Purdue fan take in there too.  I know people go after Edey about the 3 second call quite a bit but this to me is what he gets away with every game.  An elbow to the head is what according to the rulebooks?