Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

10 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I hadn’t seen him this year, but that tells you why that game was officiated so poorly. I was just told that a certain few guys didn’t get renewed. I hadn’t seen him or Scirotto so figured they got canned. Hopefully for the Big10 that was one of one or a couple for Green. Anybody seen Scirotto this year? I don’t watch much when IU isn’t playing.

Looks like scrotum took another police chief job 

https://triblive.com/local/larry-scirotto-takes-reins-of-pittsburgh-police-with-list-of-priorities/

"Under Gainey, Scirotto also will no longer serve as an NCAA college basketball referee,"

• Thanks 1

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

Looks like scrotum took another police chief job 

https://triblive.com/local/larry-scirotto-takes-reins-of-pittsburgh-police-with-list-of-priorities/

"Under Gainey, Scirotto also will no longer serve as an NCAA college basketball referee,"

Good grief I wouldn’t want to get pulled over by him. Can’t handle power at all!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Mid-range/long 2’s are some of the least efficient shots in basketball. Purdue intentionally tries to make other teams take a lot of them for that reason. 

According to some computer geeks. Still don't buy all of these analytics saying it is more efficient.  Scoring and shooting percentage are lower but this makes the game better LOL!

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

So how exactly does this work Big Ten Director of officiating calls all these guys and tells them to do B1G games...differently? And that never leaks out? And in the heat of a game they're going to remember where they are and what calls to make?

I think the explanation is simpler, the B1G has lead the country in attendance for many years, it's the crowds and home venues. Refs are human and having 10-15K people screaming at every call affects them.

A lot if it is due to the playing style of the top coaches in the league. I still blame this for why the big ten doesn't bget a lot of top recruits

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

I agree with this in part. I even is there arent B1G officials and they are subcontractors. The still use the same officials from the same pool. 1 ref is not going to officiate an SEC game on Monday, B1G on Tuesday, ACC Wednesday. The same officials are used, they have these built in pre conceived notions and perceptions that carry over from game to game. 

The home court does has some impact IDK how much that is though.. But that doesnt explain when Edey goes on the road and gets the same coddling. or XJ being reviewed the other night that was not even close to being needed.

I think their are coaches that can work officials better than others. 

That is wrong about the refs because I see the same officials reffing every night in different parts of the country. The ref that runs with his high stepping Knees I saw him do a game at OSU the next night in the big 12 and later that week he was doing a mountain west game

Edited by IU Scott

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

According to some computer geeks. Still don't buy all of these analytics saying it is more efficient.  Scoring and shooting percentage are lower but this makes the game better LOL!

Do the same low percentages exist in the women's game?

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is wrong about the refs because I see the same officials reffing every night in different parts of the country. The ref that runs with his high stepping Knees I saw him do a game at OSU the next night in the big 12 and later that week he was doing a mountain west game

that has already been explained. 

38 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I hadn’t seen him this year, but that tells you why that game was officiated so poorly. I was just told that a certain few guys didn’t get renewed. I hadn’t seen him or Scirotto so figured they got canned. Hopefully for the Big10 that was one of one or a couple for Green. Anybody seen Scirotto this year? I don’t watch much when IU isn’t playing.

I haven't seen Scirotto yet this year....Hoping that trend continued...

• Like 1

Damn, @ledies22 you got me listening to that podcast again. He gave some interesting general numbers at the end that I might've missed the first time. 

He said in a typical game there's an average of 140 possessions, usually averaging 6 missed calls per game. Approximately 2 per ref. The conference does send officials tapes of these missed calls. Sometimes, the officials aren't even in the position to see the infraction. Typical there's 6 to 7 camera angles of the missed calls; many times only 1 of those angles will actually capture the bad call. Even so, if they see an official is missing 5 calls in a game (for example), they'll sit down and have a talk with him. If it's a pattern, they'll give them less games the next year. 

Maybe this is what happened to Scrote.

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Damn, @ledies22 you got me listening to that podcast again. He gave some interesting general numbers at the end that I might've missed the first time. 

He said in a typical game there's an average of 140 possessions, usually averaging 6 missed calls per game. Approximately 2 per ref. The conference does send officials tapes of these missed calls. Sometimes, the officials aren't even in the position to see the infraction. Typical there's 6 to 7 camera angles of the missed calls; many times only 1 of those angles will actually capture the bad call. Even so, if they see an official is missing 5 calls in a game (for example), they'll sit down and have a talk with him. If it's a pattern, they'll give them less games the next year. 

Maybe this is what happened to Scrote.

Can’t help but wonder what the conference says about the Purdue game (especially after last night). I’d have to guess they don’t see an issue with it since we see the same thing game after game

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

Can’t help but wonder what the conference says about the Purdue game (especially after last night). I’d have to guess they don’t see an issue with it since we see the same thing game after game

The conference will say nothing publicly. A take away from the podcast is that, tapes of missed calls will be sent to the officials for their review, and if anything needs to be handled, it will be done-so behind closed doors. 

Hey IUFLA...how about re-naming this topic "PUke thread"? 

While I understand that a couple PU guys come here, and one is civil, the other not so much, but they have completely hijacked this thread. Not saying they shouldn't post here, but this is supposed to be a B10 thread, not a PU thread. 

Can't remember how long it's been since I've seen comments about other B10 schools, or at least more than 1-2.

And maybe just for kicks, we should start a  "Ref's suck" thread to illustrate all of the horrible calls thru-out the B10.

In any case, I guess I'll just ignore this particular thread from now on, because I don't really give a rats ass about PU basketball, and all the debate about Lurch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Wisconsin annoys me. I detest Rutgers almost as much as Purdue, "The Barn" is a terrible arena. Juan Howard is a joke.

discuss...

that better? @DWB

Now multiply that by 100, and you'll be just behind all of the PUke posts....  :D

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, DWB said:

Hey IUFLA...how about re-naming this topic "PUke thread"? 

While I understand that a couple PU guys come here, and one is civil, the other not so much, but they have completely hijacked this thread. Not saying they shouldn't post here, but this is supposed to be a B10 thread, not a PU thread. 

Can't remember how long it's been since I've seen comments about other B10 schools, or at least more than 1-2.

And maybe just for kicks, we should start a  "Ref's suck" thread to illustrate all of the horrible calls thru-out the B10.

In any case, I guess I'll just ignore this particular thread from now on, because I don't really give a rats ass about PU basketball, and all the debate about Lurch.

I hear ya...

Good one tonight in Lincoln with the 1st place 8-1 Badgers taking on the 5-5 (in conference play) Huskers...All the Nebraska wins have come at home, and all of their losses on the road...

Just now, IUFLA said:

I hear ya...

Good one tonight in Lincoln with the 1st place 8-1 Badgers taking on the 5-5 (in conference play) Huskers...All the Nebraska wins have come at home, and all of their losses on the road...

Hope the trend continues. Need to bring Wisky back to the pack.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I hear ya...

Hope "the little guard" drops 30 on the Badgers

• Haha 1