Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

4 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I'm getting into this even deeper: Purdue shot 63% (not great) from the free throw line, and MADE 21 more than NW TOOK.

They were +23 from the line for the game, and needed OT to win.

Edey actually kept Northwestern in it with his 8-17... I thought he was some Deadeye Dick from the line that translated into he would be a killer from beyond the arc...

According to some, that is 😁

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

You know what I hate more than how bad the officiating in college basketball is?

The fact that no sports media calls out bad officiating when it happens.  How can all these talking heads rag on players day in and day out, but never say, "Courtney Greene and crew really had a bad game tonight.  Missed/incorrectly called several game changing plays and allowed a team's reputation for "not fouling" to cloud their judgment on the way to a lopsided 46-8 free throw differential for the game.  Collins was even ejected at the very end of the game because he was so livid with the poor showing by the officiating crew."

Instead, we get the BTN crew recapping the game at the halftime of the Rutgers game, mention the free throw disparity, but play it off like it was a legitimate outcome of the game, while never even mentioning Collins getting tossed or the controversial calls at the end of the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndyHoosier said:

I truly don’t understand the Edey love fest. If he’s under 7 foot he’s not even playing D1. Zero skill, terrible footwork, slow, not explosive. There’s a reason he was forced to come back to college, nba execs said “naw fam we’re good, head back to college” lol 

Saying he has terrible footwork might legit be one of the worst takes I’ve ever heard lol. He had a dunk where he spun away from the defender that was unreal. 

And I always love a good, “if so and so weren’t as tall, they wouldn’t be good.” It’s always worth a laugh. 

7 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Presented without comment. Well okay, one comment: lol, lmao

20240131_211731.jpg

NW gives up a ton of free throws and doesn’t take many. They take a lot of jumpers and don’t have a legit big guy down low to draw fouls and shoot free throws. At face value, the discrepancy looks bad but diving deeper, it’s not that far off. Collins said before the game he was going to use all 15 fouls for his bigs and then got mad that they were called.  Game isn’t close if we shoot like we normally do from the line though. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

NW gives up a ton of free throws and doesn’t take many. They take a lot of jumpers and don’t have a legit big guy down low to draw fouls and shoot free throws. At face value, the discrepancy looks bad but diving deeper, it’s not that far off. Collins said before the game he was going to use all 15 fouls for his bigs and then got mad that they were called.  Game isn’t close if we shoot like we normally do from the line though. 

Should this be a foul on Northwestern?

image.png.f9260797983f34af2245926fc09e2c23.png

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

If this was Buie hooking a Purdue player, would you be happy if a foul was called on Purdue?

image.png.751856f315e91392647be907b624590d.png

12 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Okay, it's still egregious even with those average percentages.  There's simply no defending this; simply admit the refs bailed you guys out tonight and let's move on.

Edit: And yes it IS that far off: about 20 percentage points in each direction.  

Edited by rogue3542
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Purdue also took a ton of jumpers. 27 3 point attempts for NW and 21 by Purdue. Sure they took several mid range jumpers too but don’t act like that’s all NW did. Regardless, that shouldn’t result in a 30+ FT margin. The difference is one team is allowed to be physical and the other isn’t 

Just now, 02Hoosier said:

Purdue also took a ton of jumpers. 27 3 point attempts for NW and 21 by Purdue. Sure they took several mid range jumpers too but don’t act like that’s all NW did. Regardless, that shouldn’t result in a 30+ FT margin. The difference is one team is allowed to be physical and the other isn’t 

Purdue doesn’t foul much as a team though. They give up long jumpers and play drop coverage.  That’s how they play defense. NW was much more physical and likely even more so when they saw how poorly we were shooting free throws. 

10 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Okay, it's still egregious even with those average percentages.  There's simply no defending this; simply admit the refs bailed you guys out tonight and let's move on.

Edit: And yes it IS that far off: about 20 percentage points in each direction.  

Agree to disagree. I think they kept fouling us because of how poorly we were shooting at the line. If we shoot close to our normal percentage, my guess is you’d see the free throws more even. Hack-a-TKR was in full effect. 

Against Illinois (a much more aggressive defensive team than Purdue), they only shot 13 free throws. They don’t shoot many free throws and they foul a lot (likely more tonight because of how poorly we were at the line). 

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I personally loved Collins going ballistic on the officials.  Gained a lot of respect for him not putting up with such obvious bias. 

I may be in the minority by saying this, but I think Collins is a solid coach. If he ever happens to get a crack at a gig where he can land some big time recruits or a large NIL backing, I think he could become a great coach. He adapts really well and always has a sound game plan for his team.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 02Hoosier said:

Idk what Collins was mad about but I know I’m on his side lol

Courtney Green

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Agree to disagree. I think they kept fouling us because of how poorly we were shooting at the line. If we shoot close to our normal percentage, my guess is you’d see the free throws more even. Hack-a-TKR was in full effect. 

Against Illinois (a much more aggressive defensive team than Purdue), they only shot 13 free throws. They don’t shoot many free throws and they foul a lot (likely more tonight because of how poorly we were at the line). 

Illinois fouls at about the same rate as Purdue

• Haha 1

I know that this is an open forum and that everyone is supposed to be welcome but trying to understand why any conversation with PUke fans is justified here. Trying to understand why their lame explanations/excuses/justifications are even a topic of conversation here.

Travesty is too mild of a description for the game that is being discussed here 

• Like 1