Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

46-8 is unjustifiable.  Something like 35-15 would have still been a big discrepancy and more realistic.  

The difference between IU fans and other fans is there is a hell of a lot more realism and self-awareness here, not just blind endorsement of your school.  It's a cultural thing.  Indiana fans grew up this way.

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

Berry shoves Edey in the back and locks down his left arm 

PS TKR gets fouled earlier 

IMG_1367.mov

you're not helping your credibility cause by complaining the refs should have called more fouls in favor of Purdue.

TKR portion gets cut off. defender seems to be hands up. 

Edey part... shove is exaggerating. he's riding his back. this is typical when a shot goes up.  

nothing burger.

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

I was talking to one of my colleagues at school who's an IU fan and mentioned the shocking foul disparity. We both agreed about how poorly the BIGTEN officiating has been over the last several year with all teams. They seem to always look really good with BIGTEN officials, but when they start the NCAA tourney they look like different team. I will credit (non-BIGTEN) officials for having something to do with that.

There is no such thing as big ten officials. These officials are sub contractors and work many different conferences 

45 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You tip your cap to JHS. Those are low percentage shots and he hit a lot of them. 

Giving up 61 points isn’t why we lost. I can probably count on one hand how many times we’ve given up 61 and lost. 

When has an open 15 foot shot a low percentage shot. Calvert Cheaney became the all time leading scorer in the big ten with those shots

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

There is no such thing as big ten officials. These officials are sub contractors and work many different conferences 

...Ok, thanks for making me feel like an idiot!

.....then the same ones who we call BIGTEN officials who are constantly called out for poor officiating in both BIGTEN football and basketball.....

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

...Ok, thanks for making me feel like an idiot!

.....then the same ones who we call BIGTEN officials who are constantly called out for poor officiating in both BIGTEN football and basketball.....

Just saying these same officials officiate other conferences so Purdue can get these officials in the tournament as well. I think it has more to do with the conference itself over individual officials 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

When has an open 15 foot shot a low percentage shot. Calvert Cheaney became the all time leading scorer in the big ten with those shots

Mid-range/long 2’s are some of the least efficient shots in basketball. Purdue intentionally tries to make other teams take a lot of them for that reason. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

To me this has to be more the conference than the officials. I say this because these officials works more than one conference so maybe the conference wants things called a certain way

So how exactly does this work Big Ten Director of officiating calls all these guys and tells them to do B1G games...differently? And that never leaks out? And in the heat of a game they're going to remember where they are and what calls to make?

I think the explanation is simpler, the B1G has lead the country in attendance for many years, it's the crowds and home venues. Refs are human and having 10-15K people screaming at every call affects them.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

That is a good video of Edey drawing a foul by hooking his arm around the defender. I don’t see anything on the video that makes me think it is a defensive foul. 

I’m in the very small minority here when I say this, but it looked like the Nwestern guy put his arm under Edey’s initially, arms weren’t really straight up, but I don’t understand why it wasn’t called on the floor. More importantly what I don’t understand is why he was allowed to just slam into the Nwestern kid pushing him halfway down the lane. He should have been called for a charge and then the other stuff doesn’t happen.

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m in the very small minority here when I say this, but it looked like the Nwestern guy put his arm under Edey’s initially, arms weren’t really straight up, but I don’t understand why it wasn’t called on the floor. More importantly what I don’t understand is why he was allowed to just slam into the Nwestern kid pushing him halfway down the lane. He should have been called for a charge and then the other stuff doesn’t happen.

I think the sport in general allows too much contact in the post.  For instance, I will rag on a play involving one of our guys here.  I think it was the Illinois game where Reneau caught the ball in the post and full on slammed into one of their guys 3 or 4 times before putting up a shot (which he made).  They said it was good, tough Big Ten basketball and I was thinking that on the road he is lucky it wasn't an offensive foul.

The amount of contact that college allows in the post ugliest up the game IMO.  Everybody is fouling everyone down there, often egregiously, on every play.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

So how exactly does this work Big Ten Director of officiating calls all these guys and tells them to do B1G games...differently? And that never leaks out? And in the heat of a game they're going to remember where they are and what calls to make?

I think the explanation is simpler, the B1G has lead the country in attendance for many years, it's the crowds and home venues. Refs are human and having 10-15K people screaming at every call affects them.

I agree with this in part. I even is there arent B1G officials and they are subcontractors. The still use the same officials from the same pool. 1 ref is not going to officiate an SEC game on Monday, B1G on Tuesday, ACC Wednesday. The same officials are used, they have these built in pre conceived notions and perceptions that carry over from game to game. 

The home court does has some impact IDK how much that is though.. But that doesnt explain when Edey goes on the road and gets the same coddling. or XJ being reviewed the other night that was not even close to being needed.

I think their are coaches that can work officials better than others. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You tip your cap to JHS. Those are low percentage shots and he hit a lot of them. 

Giving up 61 points isn’t why we lost. I can probably count on one hand how many times we’ve given up 61 and lost. 

I bet they'd be a higher percentage shot if players actually practiced them. 

17 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

I really, really like this post^^^^^

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I agree with this in part. I even is there arent B1G officials and they are subcontractors. The still use the same officials from the same pool. 1 ref is not going to officiate an SEC game on Monday, B1G on Tuesday, ACC Wednesday. The same officials are used, they have these built in pre conceived notions and perceptions that carry over from game to game. 

The home court does has some impact IDK how much that is though.. But that doesnt explain when Edey goes on the road and gets the same coddling. or XJ being reviewed the other night that was not even close to being needed.

I think there are coaches that can work officials better than others. 

I can understand your last two paragraphs, but your first one is inaccurate. One of the guys that did the Iowa game Tues night actually officiates in numerous conferences, and HAS had times this year where he did three different conferences three nights in a row. For example, he did a Big10 game one night, SEC game the following night, and then an American game the next night, followed up by another SEC game two nights later. Conferences have primary officials and also secondary officials that they pull from. This isn’t an opinion btw. I know that for a fact.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I can understand your last two paragraphs, but your first one is inaccurate. One of the guys that did the Iowa game Tues night actually officiates in numerous conferences, and HAS had times this year where he did three different conferences three nights in a row. For example, he did a Big10 game one night, SEC game the following night, and then an American game the next night, followed up by another SEC game two nights later. Conferences have primary officials and also secondary officials that they pull from. This isn’t an opinion btw. I know that for a fact.

fair enough.

wonder how often that happens, head officials of games or just the third guy? Do the head officials travel interleague like that?

IDK just seems like the B1G is officiated differently, and i figured most of that was from the continuity of the officials. 

28 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

fair enough.

wonder how often that happens, head officials of games or just the third guy? Do the head officials travel interleague like that?

IDK just seems like the B1G is officiated differently, and i figured most of that was from the continuity of the officials. 

There's a very interesting podcast on this. I'll try and find it for you, but from what I remember....

Conferences do have a group of officials they draw upon. However, for example, DJ Carstensen officiated our game vs. Iowa on Tuesday night. B1G rules stipulate that DJ can not ref Iowa or Indiana for X number of their games. (I believe 'X' is 3 games, but i'm not certain). So, because of math, there's going to be nights when he can not officiate in the B1G. But these guys get paid per game and want to make money, so on those night when he's not eligible to ref a B1G game, he may go get work in the SEC or CUSA. 

Other conferences have the same (or very similar) rules, which is why we may have a ref from the ACC pool of officials on a given night. 

So, you're right that a group of B1G officials primarily work our games, but they don't solely work our games. And those officials don't only work in our conference. 

Hope that made sense and I explained it correctly. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

There's a very interesting podcast on this. I'll try and find it for you, but from what I remember....

Conferences do have a group of officials they draw upon. However, for example, DJ Carstensen officiated our game vs. Iowa on Tuesday night. B1G rules stipulate that DJ can not ref Iowa or Indiana for their next X number of their games. (I believe 'X' is 3 games, but i'm not certain). So, because of math, there's going to be nights when he can not officiate in the B1G. But these guys get paid per game and want to make money, so on those night when he's not eligible to ref a B1G game, he may go get work in the SEC or CUSA. 

Other conferences have the same (or very similar) rules, which is why we may have a ref from the ACC pool of officials on a given night. 

So, you're right that a group of B1G officials primarily work our games, but they don't solely work our games. And those officials don't only work in our conference. 

It does indeed. Is this recent?

I thought ohhh even like 5 years ago B1G had it's own officials? are you going to blow my mind and Mandela Effect my butt right now? 

31 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

fair enough.

Your primary officials (unsure how many are actually called primary - can find out) will get more Big10 games, so you’ll see somebody like DJ Carstensen more often than some others. He’s less likely to have multiple conferences consecutive nights. But they draw from a pool of secondary officials to typically fill the other two spots pretty regularly and those guys are more likely to have multiple conferences in consecutive nights. I know there was emphasis on officials doing a better job this year in the Big10, and I truly believe they have been for the most part. But that’s why you don’t see guys like Larry Scirotto or Courtney Green anymore. The Big10 booted them essentially. Prob more guys I’m missing. Can prob find that out too. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Courtney Green did the Purdue-Northwestern game last night

I hadn’t seen him this year, but that tells you why that game was officiated so poorly. I was just told that a certain few guys didn’t get renewed. I hadn’t seen him or Scirotto so figured they got canned. Hopefully for the Big10 that was one of one or a couple for Green. Anybody seen Scirotto this year? I don’t watch much when IU isn’t playing.

Edited by kyhoosier29

23 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Conferences do have a group of officials they draw upon. However, for example, DJ Carstensen officiated our game vs. Iowa on Tuesday night. B1G rules stipulate that DJ can not ref Iowa or Indiana for X number of their games. (I believe 'X' is 3 games, but i'm not certain). So, because of math, there's going to be nights when he can not officiate in the B1G. But these guys get paid per game and want to make money, so on those night when he's not eligible to ref a B1G game, he may go get work in the SEC or CUSA. 

Here you go @ledies22 

'Primary B1G officials' mean that they give their availability to the B1G first. The B1G will then fill their schedule with as many B1G games within the parameters of their scheduling rules. B1G and major conferences pay officials more, so it's a coveted spot. And you may surprised to hear, because of this, we are probably getting the better officials in CBB. It's why you often see the 'primary' B1G officials officiate in the last 2 weekends of the NCAA tournament. (The NCAA doesn't just give those games to anybody). 

starts at 46.00. A lot of other good stuff in here. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1