IUWBB Updates

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Did anyone see the atrocious charge called on Scalia yesterday? Nebraska girl had both feet in the restricted area, was literally still moving, and actually start IN the restricted area... like her feet, not once during the play, were out of that area. 

Absolutely astonished at how poor some officials are. What pisses me off more, pretty substantial collision/landing. Sara could have been hurt. 

This is why I've long been saying to ban the charge. It was a dangerous play, with Sara taking a tumble because a player slid under her while she was in the air. And the player slid under her because too often that shit gets rewarded. We protect shooters by calling a foul if they aren't given space to land. Protect other airborn players the same way. Running up to someone and coming to a dead stop isn't defense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

This is why I've long been saying to ban the charge. It was a dangerous play, with Sara taking a tumble because a player slid under her while she was in the air. And the player slid under her because too often that shit gets rewarded. We protect shooters by calling a foul if they aren't given space to land. Protect other airborn players the same way. Running up to someone and coming to a dead stop isn't defense.

Couldn't agree more. Preach 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

I thought the same.... Officiating should be easier for the women. Since there is not as much contact as with men, minor things get called. Back when I reffed intamurals at IU, I always preferred the womens games over the men. The games were like slow motion compared to the men and much easier to call. 

Maybe that explains why there's so much traveling called in the women's game? It's rare on the men's side, but even stars like Mackenzie Holmes get called for it multiple times in a women's game. Maybe because the men are quicker they're generally given the benefit of the doubt, while the women are a little slower to start their action.

3 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Maybe that explains why there's so much traveling called in the women's game? It's rare on the men's side, but even stars like Mackenzie Holmes get called for it multiple times in a women's game. Maybe because the men are quicker they're generally given the benefit of the doubt, while the women are a little slower to start their action.

Possibly... I always hated the travel call. I was lenient on those ;)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Before he moved, actually the last time I saw him, I challenged my neighbor the professor of sports management to get his classes to study the NIL affect in non revenue sports especially women’s sports. Is it just that the IU women’s team is good or does some of the attendance numbers come from the exposure of players like Sydney getting big NIL deals? I don’t know the answers that’s why I challenged him to try and come up with some!

On 1/12/2024 at 2:20 PM, btownqb said:

Another idiotic statement from DD

Hold on … #iuwbb fans are bitching about today’s Iowa/IU women’s game being “all about Caitlin Clark and Iowa”?? Of course it’s all about Clark and Iowa as ,other than parents , not a soul has ever cared about IU Women’s Hoops - how bout a little gratitude that

has given IU this opportunity Geezus

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Another idiotic statement from DD

Hold on … #iuwbb fans are bitching about today’s Iowa/IU women’s game being “all about Caitlin Clark and Iowa”?? Of course it’s all about Clark and Iowa as ,other than parents , not a soul has ever cared about IU Women’s Hoops - how bout a little gratitude that

has given IU this opportunity Geezus

2 things---1.  DD blocked me on twitter like a decade ago because he's soft. 2. There are few people that deserve punched squarely in the face more often than DD. 

if you are an Indiana fan and still listen/support DD, I question you. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DWB said:

And it's 8 against 5. Clark lowered a shoulder going into the lane, knock the IU player 180° and back 10' and no call.

Tons of moving screens by Iowa, no call. And on, and on, and on.

Not helping that she has been wide open on the last few three’s off the screen and swished them all. Need to play better defense. 

See if any of this sounds familiar.  IU goes an the road against a good team and gets curb stomped on National TV, because:

• They can’t shoot
  • They turn the ball over
  • They can’t hit free throws
  • They can’t defend the three 
  • They can’t match the energy level of the opponent.
  • Some “unknown” player has a career night

WTH, is this crap contagious?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

See if any of this sounds familiar.  IU goes an the road against a good team and gets curb stomped on National TV, because:

• They can’t shoot
  • They turn the ball over
  • They can’t hit free throws
  • They can’t defend the three 
  • They can’t match the energy level of the opponent.
  • Some “unknown” player has a career night

WTH, is this crap contagious?

How much was the travel an issue?  What time were they supposed to arrive in Iowa before the game.  I know, I know there are those that take the tack that you gotta be ready to go whenever but having to be the team to travel in that weather was more of a burden on the visiting team than usual.  Iowa was probably going to win that game at home either way (we'll see what the return trip is like) but if the IU women don't normally play that way (the men do), then there may have been some other factors in play.

I can go out and give you work after a night of interrupted sleep.  I can even travel and do that.  What you are not likely to get is my best performance.  Iowa wasn't likely to lose at their place but I don't think that performance is indicative of the team as a whole.

Get them on the return trip.

• Like 2