2024 PG Daquan Davis Commits to Florida State

Hoosierfan1901

Just now, kyhoosier29 said:

Because commitments should be honored, unless the terms change. And I don’t like the idea of adults trying to persuade kids to break commitments. 🤷🏻‍♂️ With that said, my guess is that Woody reached out because there was indicated interest from Davis. 

Commitments mean nothing unless you've signed a paper, literally.  Continue to recruit anyone we think we have a chance with or might decommit, or might transfer, or might have a coach fired. Etc. Recruit them all. 

They do it to us, and we should be no different. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Exactly! The "flip" in football recruiting happens all the time and it's basically celebrated

Yes. Ethics and morals were thrown out the door a long time ago in recruiting. And Indiana didn't start the trend, but we gain nothing by being "morally superior". 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jay edwards brother said:

I have watched several highlight videos, listened to an interview, and read the point-guard-eyes evaluation. I hope this young man becomes a Hoosier.

My question is why did he decommit from Providence??

I could joke….straight cash 💰 

might have helped but playing time !

He has to beat out Cupps and potential portal guy for PG minutes 

If he cares….IU & Big Ten are great academically & in basketball 🏀 

39 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why? This is Providences fault. We just might reap the rewards. 

It will help the power teams but I feel for the teams like Providence that get on  a guy early who might be overlooked. The thing I don't like is he decommtted a week before signing day and if it were August I wouldn't have much of a problem.

11 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

I could joke….straight cash 💰 

might have helped but playing time !

He has to beat out Cupps and potential portal guy for PG minutes 

If he cares….IU & Big Ten are great academically & in basketball 🏀 

Cupps is a year older and due to their size probably they likely both wouldn't be on the floor together much.

Davis would be able to ease into college ball his freshman year and learn the PG position from Woody. Would be a nice complement to Cupps as a Soph and Jr where maybe they each play 20 minutes? Then takes over his Sr year?

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2024-names-to-know-pg-daquan-davis/

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

SMH, just my beliefs. It doesn't give Providence enough time to go out and try to get another PG.

They'll have 2 on the roster next year as it stands... I think that's one of the reasons Davis reconsidered... That and the fact we'll only have Cupps, and probably better NIL money...

Just learning an early life lesson that if a better opportunity comes along, take it... 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

If you’re not recruiting ANYONE you have a chance with you’re not doing your job.

Verbal commitments are HS “going steady.” Means very little. If it meant something fine, but it doesn’t mean much.

I mean we snatched Eric Gordon 16 years ago. Nobody complained back then. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

@kyhoosier29 I understand what you're saying in that recruiting should be more ethical, I just don't think we can afford to "be the nice guys".. just how I see it. 

Besides finishing last, I think if the recruit starts looking at a potentially better situation they should! Even if the opportunity was presented to them after they verbally committed.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, btownqb said:

....but why should we care? 

They have AMPLE amounts of time to find a replacement. 

You think PC doesn’t have a list of potential flips?

You think they aren’t scouting every game for portal guys in 24 & 25?

You think this kid won’t consider leaving IU if something else pops up?

Or IU won’t gently push him out the door if it doesn’t work out?

This is professional basketball 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

@kyhoosier29 I understand what you're saying in that recruiting should be more ethical, I just don't think we can afford to "be the nice guys".. just how I see it. 

Fair enough. If it’s happening, and part of the game, then don’t fall behind. I’m certainly onboard for the playing in the gray area on different things. Just don’t like the message it sends to kids that a commitment isn’t really a commitment. If circumstances surrounding a kid’s commitment changes, then I understand that. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Fair enough. If it’s happening, and part of the game, then don’t fall behind. I’m certainly onboard for the playing in the gray area on different things. Just don’t like the message it sends to kids that a commitment isn’t really a commitment. If circumstances surrounding a kid’s commitment changes, then I understand that. 

I am right with you ky... Not only do I not like the message it may send to the player, but more than anything, the parents/grandparents or guardians.... Unfortunately there are some players and parents that really don't care how or which way recruiting gets done. 

• Like 1