2024 PG Daquan Davis Commits to Florida State

Hoosierfan1901

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Happy to see Woody put the time in.  The buck stops with him.  Imagine if we offered an undersized guard sight unseen by the head coach and he stunk.  The coach would get blistered.  It’s his responsibility.  Should be the way it is.  

That reminds me of the kid Crean offered from Florida that never made it to campus.  Name escapes me.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 12:36 PM, BruceDouglas said:

Not from me really. Other Illini fans? Of course. At the time it seemed like a big deal but looking back it really wasn't. It did put Weber in a tough spot and he showed he really wasn't up to the task.

What the hell is this thread anyway? Oh, recruiting...yeah good idea for IU to get some guards instead of more big guys. 🤣

This isn’t directed to you since you disavow it.   But the real issue was sour grapes that he flipped. It wasn’t that IU was wrong, it’s that UI lost the player.   Everyone involved knew at least a month before it happened that it was going to happen.  It’s not that he decommited and flipped.  It was sour grapes that it actually happened.  

The Illini coach at the time was a crybaby about it but he never managed it well.  It’s like at work in any walk of life when you see something negative is going to happen.   You can either be proactive and deal with it or be in denial and wait for the inevitable.   If I knew one month in advance, there’s no way Weber wasn’t hearing it.  He decided to hide under the covers.  So then he whined (loser mentality) that he had no contingency.   That was always 100% based on his own failings.

Gordon is from Indy.  He didn’t pick IU because Mike Davis was a dead man walking.  IU made a coaching change.   It would be malpractice for the Illinois coach to not get ahead of it.   It’s his ineptitude that’s the real issue, not a teenager decommiting and going to the school he wanted that was the problem.

Of course, Illinois fans’ handling of it in the game in Champaign showed their true character.   Instead of aiming their wrath against the coach who blew it by not getting ahead of it, they were classless toward a teenager.   Ugly chapter in Illinois history.   The sour grapes was right there with Lou Do’s statement that IU raped Illinois for talent (as if high school students must stay in state) all the while in the real world Chicago area high schools school flood the entire big ten with “regular” students.

I work in Chicago with Illini grads and it’s literally still on their minds 16 years later.   You can’t make this dysfunction up.  It was always a loser mentality on the Illinois side.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's him.  Looked him up and he played 3 seasons for UNC Greensboro, mostly starting in years 2 & 3 averaging about 5 points.  Was an example of a head coach offering someone he'd never seen play in person.  Didn't end well.

Asking this in all seriousness, but did Crean see Priller play before offering him? If so, I'm not sure a look-see on David Williams would have mattered 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

51 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Asking this in all seriousness, but did Crean see Priller play before offering him? If so, I'm not sure a look-see on David Williams would have mattered 😉

I think Crean also offered Max (Hoetzel) Montana without ever seeing him play. 

I think he went to his prep school and watched him workout and offered on the spot, but hadn't actually seen him play a game. 

12 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think I remember that he offered him after seeing him play once (maybe only a half of a game), and everybody was like ‘who is this guy?’

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I'd be happy to get him.  I wouldn't be upset if we don't.  Still like the idea of getting high school kids if they are pretty well recruited.  At the same time, we all know what the portal can do.  

I would be happy with any guards at this point.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

https://x.com/dushawnlondon1/status/1724472747282125238?s=46&t=wuW4V7JUATf7-ZJpOdcx9A

Don’t have a 247 account but apparently looking to visit IU, Bama, and Texas A&M.

Alabama's 247 has a blurb

Edit: just noticed it's the same dude, and the link provided isn't a pay link... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fwiw Rabby keeps downplaying things with Davis. He has basically said Davis wants IU but he’s not sure if IU will really pursue him and that things still need to play out. He has said that IU could turn up the heat but he’s not sure if or when that will happen. Basically a lot of words to say who knows what will happen as time passes between now and the spring signing period. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Fwiw Rabby keeps downplaying things with Davis. He has basically said Davis wants IU but he’s not sure if IU will really pursue him and that things still need to play out. He has said that IU could turn up the heat but he’s not sure if or when that will happen. Basically a lot of words to say who knows what will happen as time passes between now and the spring signing period. 

If we aren’t interested I’d venture to guess that Woody wants more length out of that spot.  

17 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If we aren’t interested I’d venture to guess that Woody wants more length out of that spot.  

I don’t know that it’s that they aren’t interested. I think it’s more that they are trying to be patient and see what the options are looking like. I don’t think it has much to do with length. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I don’t know that it’s that they aren’t interested. I think it’s more that they are trying to be patient and see what the options are looking like. I don’t think it has much to do with length. 

I feel comfortable that we can pound the portal after the season. Recruit guys we have conviction on and don’t compromise just to get bodies.  Then use the portal for more proven commodities.  

Regarding size, I see that we offered a little guy in Mallory and there’s only so many little guys you can carry IMO.  

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I feel comfortable that we can pound the portal after the season. Recruit guys we have conviction on and don’t compromise just to get bodies.  Then use the portal for more proven commodities.  

Regarding size, I see that we offered a little guy in Mallory and there’s only so many little guys you can carry IMO.  

True that said IU needs to worry about next years roster first. Then worry about 2 years from now. Robinson and Mallory are still almost 2 years out from wearing a college uniform. As for the portal there will be guys that can help fill holes but I’m not sure they will be able to land multiple difference makers and to me filling 5-6 spots all via the portal is RISKY. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I am okay if IU becomes portal pounders. 

• Like 3

Perfect world for me is we have 60% of our starters who are 2-3 year types and 40% is either an elite recruit like JHS or similar transfer like Ware. Pepper the program with 3-4 year guys like Trey or Cupps or Race Thompson and that's the formula I prefer. 

I don't want a roster turnover every Spring. No continuity and it's tough like we've seen with UK and others that turning it over every single year doesn't or hasn't worked.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1