2024 PG Daquan Davis Commits to Florida State

Hoosierfan1901

23 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

He and Queen are the only two guys we have threads for in the recruiting forum that are 24 kids. That doesn’t mean there aren’t or won’t be more, but as of now it’s looking like portal or bust. It would be nice to bring in a guy like this for the future and for balance. 

I think that will be it for 24 targets unless there is another chance at a late decommit guy like Bates, Reneau, or Mgbako. Davis has been playing very well recently, I agree with you and think he should be a take for us if there isn’t too much baggage.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

I think the days of trying to have balanced classes is a thing of the past. Transfers are where the real recruiting battles will be waged.

I get that, but it would be nice to bring in some freshmen every year to bring along so we are looking at 2-3 guys from the portal every year instead of 5-7. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I get that, but it would be nice to bring in some freshmen every year to bring along so we are looking at 2-3 guys from the portal every year instead of 5-7. 

No doubt, and maybe I worded my thought poorly. I think balanced classes are a good thing, maybe flexibility is more of how I would word it. I think we need to be able to bring in freshman, if that is the best option, or recruit the rising sophomores who have proven themselves at a "lesser" program...say Purdue.  Sprinkle in a grad transfer and I think things work out to provide that balance. 

Since it is a Daquan thread, I think he would be a worthy recruit as part of a 2-man freshman class.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

He and Queen are the only two guys we have threads for in the recruiting forum that are 24 kids. That doesn’t mean there aren’t or won’t be more, but as of now it’s looking like portal or bust. It would be nice to bring in a guy like this for the future and for balance. 

Don't forget that every year Woodson has been able to sign a decommit after a coach being fired 

40 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Gotta be ok not being the guy basically 

Gotcha, thanks. I personally would be fine with adding him and still going for an experienced PG/CG from the portal. Point guard to me is the most important position. Especially when I have PTSD from X from the past couple seasons with injuries/erratic play.

Examples like this are why I’m always impressed with a guy like Cal and his recruiting. Not everyone can be “the guy” yet he finds a way to convince 5-6 they can be or that they should bet on themselves and take the risk. 

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

Gotta be ok not being the guy basically 

Seems weird, if accurate. IU desperately needs a point guard to be better than our current point guards. 

I'd be encouraging any point guard we're recruiting to come in and show me you can be "the man". 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Seems weird, if accurate. IU desperately needs a point guard to be better than our current point guards. 

I'd be encouraging any point guard we're recruiting to come in and show me you can be "the man". 

maybe I'm reading too much into it. There is a difference of being "the man" and being the starting point guard and playing 25-30 a game.

I wouldnt say Daquon, come take over Indiana basketball knowing I have MR, long shot, but maybe MM, and hopeful to bring in other guards from the portal. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

We definitely don't create any obvious competition or urgency for commitments. Guys can play it out as long as they want without concern about losing out to another recruit. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

This is Mike Woodson we are talking about. Nothing he does makes any sense.

• Sad 1

I want 3pt shooters…dynamic play makers in our backcourt…I don’t think this kid qualifies as either….but we are so desperate because of how poorly we’ve constructed this team and all the misses on the recruiting trail it almost feels like he is a must get.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

I want 3pt shooters…dynamic play makers in our backcourt…I don’t think this kid qualifies as either….but we are so desperate because of how poorly we’ve constructed this team and all the misses on the recruiting trail it almost feels like he is a must get.

I didn't immediately find a good scouting report on Davis, but this writeup from Rob Cassidy in September - before Davis decommitted from Providence - sure sounds like a player we can use:

It’s starting to feel as though Providence may be getting a steal in the 6-foot-point guard, from whom it landed a verbal pledge back in June. Davis, who boasts a wing span much longer than his 6-foot frame, is a legitimate two-way guard that does a little bit of everything, not the least of which is scoring from all over the floor.

He held offers from Villanova, Maryland, Illinois and others when he made his decision, but his developing skill set suggests he may have attracted even more opportunities had he waited a couple months to make the call.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/i-ve-got-five-on-it-under-the-radar-commitments

Making the perfect the enemy of the good is arguably the reason Woodson ended up with the roster he has. Lots of guys lacking NBA skills can still contribute to winning at the college level. There's a red flag here in that we haven't seen those additional schools jump in after his decommitment. But I really hope the reason we're slow playing this is not because we're holding out for another JHS.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Making the perfect the enemy of the good is arguably the reason Woodson ended up with the roster he has. Lots of guys lacking NBA skills can still contribute to winning at the college level. There's a red flag here in that we haven't seen those additional schools jump in after his decommitment. But I really hope the reason we're slow playing this is not because we're holding out for another JHS.

This. I love going after the tippy top guys, but we have to find those guys who will definitely help us even if they aren’t at the top of the recruiting rankings. It feels like we have focused too much on the former and not enough on the latter. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, dgambill said:

Honest question...Have you seen him play?

3 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

Oh really? Tell me all of the sensible decisions that he makes? I'll hang up and wait.

Don’t hang up baby boo. We aren’t even talking on the phone. 

im just going to go on a limb and say the list of things he does that makes sense is twice as long as the list of things that doesn’t make sense. But I will admit not as long as the list in the world of perfect that some people seem to live in. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 10:19 AM, IUFLA said:

Honest question...Have you seen him play?

Nope…nothing outside of a few highlights and I’ve asked numerous time if the kid can shoot and got a bunch of beating around the bush and well he does a little of everything well. That’s nice…but to me means he has nothing he does great and #1 on our need list is a pg that can shoot and create shots. Cupps does a bunch of things well but isn’t great at anything. Do we want and upgrade or not? He is playing in a league that is basically a glorified AAU. I don’t really have faith this kid but it’s just my opinion and that plus a dollar will probably get you a bag of skittles….fun size 😂

• Like 1